Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is it possible to delete a Blueboard comment?
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:34
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Proz May 5, 2009

I have discovered by accident that Proz was so good as to remove my rating of that agency as originally requested. I appreciate that very much, but I am still curious about the reasons behind the rule that supposedly prevented this and would be totally ecstatic if Jared were to delete his repetition of the libel.

Many thanks
Lesley

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 18:34
SITE STAFF
Libel? May 5, 2009

Hello Lesley,

I am not sure why you say I am repeating libel in my post(s). I am quoting the existing site rule for making Blue Board entries, http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/2#2 . There is also an
... See more
Hello Lesley,

I am not sure why you say I am repeating libel in my post(s). I am quoting the existing site rule for making Blue Board entries, http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/2#2 . There is also an FAQ that covers this and removal of entries, http://www.proz.com/faq/3031#3031

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:34
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
On reflection May 5, 2009

I think you are right Jared, I am being oversensitive now.

Thanks for fixing this for me
Regards
Lesley

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 23:34
German to English
And if the outsourcer doesn't respond? May 31, 2009

Kristina Radziulyte wrote:
the entry has already received a reply, you will need the agreement of the outsourcer to remove it, which can be expressed by the outsourcer via support request as well.[/quote]

In my case the outsourcer never responded to ProZ support's request for his side of the story. As a result my 1 stands as well as the outsourcer's libel. Since 2006. But on account of my and 2 other translators' comprehensive documentation Proz was generous enough to ban the outsourcer from posting more jobs. However please note this is not indicated on his profile. And he is merrily making use of Proz since.

What does the community get from this? No warning. Nothing.
In Lesley's case her complete rating was removed, again with no warning effect for the community. I only lost a bit more than 300 euros, Lesley is out of a good 5,000 dollars. And the outsourcers are laughing all the way to the bank.

So, what's the point? I for one have realized no use in this exercise and have never again posted on the BB.

[Edited at 2009-05-31 09:55 GMT]

Ellis Jongsma
Ellis Jongsma  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:34
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
what is the added value of the BB? May 31, 2009

The BB certainly loses its effect if only positive comments remain.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
BB has plenty of room for improvement May 31, 2009

I couldn't recall which one it was, had a few tries to no avail, but some Proz-like lesser e-venue had a simple, but more effective public feedback system.

As the BB is now, information is not as useful as it could be. It comprises a score, 1-5, and fortunately limited space for comments. The score and the comment may contradict each other, leading to puzzled readers. Some comments tend to be personal (e.g. rude PM, quite frequent), not grounded on evidence (e.g. disorgani
... See more
I couldn't recall which one it was, had a few tries to no avail, but some Proz-like lesser e-venue had a simple, but more effective public feedback system.

As the BB is now, information is not as useful as it could be. It comprises a score, 1-5, and fortunately limited space for comments. The score and the comment may contradict each other, leading to puzzled readers. Some comments tend to be personal (e.g. rude PM, quite frequent), not grounded on evidence (e.g. disorganized - maybe their end-client is disorganized), or not so relevant (e.g. low rates regardless of the subject, language pair, whatever involved).

I remember having seen somewhere this assessment being objective, though not the details of it. Thinking about the BB, a few colored dots, like the ones used for translator availablity, could indicate the answers to a few questions...

Translator comments on outsourcer - LWA - (green = good; yellow = average; red = bad; grey = N/A)
- Communication & support (clear instructions, adequate material)
- Fair terms (time, quality, hard/software)
- Payment as agreed (on time, through the mutually agreed method)
... plus the 200-char comment on other issues, if required.

Outsourcer comments on translator - WWA - (green = good; yellow = average; red = bad; grey = N/A)
- Quality
- Delivery on time
- Communication
... plus the 200-char comment on other issues, if required.

IMHO with three colored dots, this would tell more than a blunt 1-5 score.

To illustrate the problem, what score should I give to an agency...
- with whom I'd gladly work if they used some other popular payment method, that were worthwhile for me to accept?
- with whom I'd gladly work when they had a more decisive end-client?
- when they had feasible deadlines?
- whenever they assigned me to one PM and not to another?
- if the end-client didn't cancel the job midway (or if they bit the bullet and tried to spare me from the loss)
etc. etc.

Finally, 3 is the average, but it tells nothing. So most of the BB scores we see tend to cluster around either 5 or 1. If we stick to undeniable facts, the answers woll be obvious, and not based on subjective judgment.

[Edited at 2009-05-31 12:30 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to delete a Blueboard comment?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »