Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:20
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 7, 2009

Hi all.
I read the BB rules, but there's something I cannot find.
On my profile, the outsourcer name is stated to be visible only to me. Now, if I describe my experience Y with agency X elsewhere, e.g. on a forum, witouth naming X and without quoting Y, how can others understand the name among the thousands of outsoursers on our site? I am asking in order to know how to protect better my privacy in the future.
I am not talking of those who understand because have worked with X or have talked to Z who worked with X. Just from a technical point of view. Google?
I hope I was clear enoughicon_smile.gif
Thanks and have a nice Sunday,
Paola

[Edited at 2009-06-07 07:23 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-06-08 15:31 GMT]

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
an answer Jun 8, 2009

A colleague wrote to me that one reason is the country. If I make an entry for an outsourcer in Liechtestein or Andorra, it'll be easy to find its identity in a couple of minutes. Not the same for the US or China. I propose to show just the grade and the comment, without the country (option: "visible only to you").
I guess other issues have to be checked in the BB for the sake of confidentiality.
I'd like to hear other opinions.

Paola

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Outsourcers names cannot be retrieved from Blue Board profile information Jun 8, 2009

Hello Paola,

Paola wrote:

On my profile, the outsourcer name is stated to be visible only to me. Now, if I describe my experience Y with agency X elsewhere, e.g. on a forum, witouth naming X and without quoting Y, how can others understand the name among the thousands of outsoursers on our site? I am asking in order to know how to protect better my privacy in the future.

Note that visitors cannot see in your profile the names of the outsourcers for which you have posted LWA entries since, as you already noticed, outsourcers names are only visible to the profile owner.

Paola wrote:

A colleague wrote to me that one reason is the country. If I make an entry for an outsourcer in Liechtestein or Andorra, it'll be easy to find its identity in a couple of minutes. Not the same for the US or China. I propose to show just the grade and the comment, without the country (option: "visible only to you").

It is less than probable that any site user or visitor can tell the name of an outsourcer from the outsourcer's country listed in the Blue Board section in profiles. Think that there are more than 13,500 Blue Board records in the site and that there are several translation companies and/or outsourcers in each country.

Finally, remember you can make the complete Blue Board section in your profile invisible to visitors by clicking on the small arrows next to the number of posted LWA entries.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
wrong, sorry Jun 8, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

It is less than probable that any site user or visitor can tell the name of an outsourcer from the outsourcer's country listed in the Blue Board section in profiles. Think that there are more than 13,500 Blue Board records in the site and that there are several translation companies and/or outsourcers in each country.

It depends on the country. If it is written e.g. [...] Andorra 1 Non payers
I guess it's easy to discover the outsourcer, as Andorra is not China or Russia.
Why not make the country visible only to me?

Thanks,
Paola

Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:20
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Still it does not assure privacy Jun 8, 2009

Hi Lucia

Even if the Blueboard is invisible, if you write in Google the name of a translator + Blueboard, you'll see the information. I tried it yesterday when I saw Paola's post here and it displayed information about her BB entries.

How is it possible to avoid that from being caught by search engines? If you discover that, the problem is solved.

Elisabete

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello Paola,

Paola wrote:

Note that visitors cannot see in your profile the names of the outsourcers for which you have posted LWA entries since, as you already noticed, outsourcers names are only visible to the profile owner.

Paola wrote:

Finally, remember you can make the complete Blue Board section in your profile invisible to visitors by clicking on the small arrows next to the number of posted LWA entries.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia

[Edited at 2009-06-08 14:03 GMT]

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Blue Board outsourcers' country names in profiles & search engines cache Jun 8, 2009

Paola wrote:

Why not make the country visible only to me?

No problem. I will take care of having the outsourcer's country visible only to the profile owner.

Elisabete wrote:

Hi Lucia

Even if the Blueboard is invisible, if you write in Google the name of a translator + Blueboard, you'll see the information. I tried it yesterday when I saw Paola's post here and it displayed information about her BB entries.

How is it possible to avoid that from being caught by search engines? If you discover that, the problem is solved.

Elisabete

Thanks for your post. This issue is already being addressed.

Regards,

Lucia

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Lucia Jun 8, 2009

Thank you, it's a vital issue, especially the Google thing.
Ciao,
Paola

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
New visibility options for Blue Board information in profiles Jun 16, 2009

Hello Paola and Elisabete,

I just wanted to let you know that a new set of visibility options for Blue Board information in profiles is now a available.

You can chose to show or hide not only the complete Blue Board section in your profile but also set visibility permissions for outsourcers' names and countries from the Feedback section of your Profile Updater.

Hope this helps!

Just let me know how this works for you.

Regards,

Lucia

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Visibility Jun 17, 2009

Dear Lucia,
The issue was not the profile, where an option to show visibility was already available.
Unfortunately, it does not happen to be solved yet.
Thanks for addressing this issue.
Paola

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:20
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thank you for the change, now please do the same for WWA and projects Jun 18, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

I just wanted to let you know that a new set of visibility options for Blue Board information in profiles is now a available.

You can chose to show or hide not only the complete Blue Board section in your profile but also set visibility permissions for outsourcers' names and countries from the Feedback section of your Profile Updater.

Thank you for implementing this change for the BB entries we make.
The exact same problem is present for the WWA entries and the Project History in our profiles. These are also indexed by search engines, and can be exploited (abused) to the disadvantage of the profile owner. (I do not want to detail it here.)

Would it be possible to treat the WWA entries and Project History entries we have on our profile pages the same way as the BB records are handled now?

Katalin

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And the forum? Jun 18, 2009

Ok, I saw the changes were implemented (I logged out and tested). What about the fora? Why anything I write here as to be displayed in Google?
Thanks,
Paola

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Agree with Katalin - the same would be nice for WWA entries... Jun 18, 2009

I just wanted to say that I agree completely with what Katalin says: It would be very nice to be able to toggle the visibility of the WWA entries in the same way.

Another reason for this is that some outsourcers do not wish to make these entries, even if they are very happy about their collaboration with their translators, due to the fact that the entries as they appear now disclose their collaboration with that particular translator, which could potentially undermine their own business as intermediaries. Even though I am glad that a couple of my clients have chosen to give WWA entries anyway, I would still like to be able to keep the WWAs visible but hide the outsourcer names to respect the confidentiality of the collaboration.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion to not show outsourcer country in LWA entry list in profiles

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search