ForeignDesk - getting started
Thread poster: Martin Heimann

Martin Heimann
Germany
Local time: 11:21
Dutch to German
+ ...
Feb 16, 2002

I downloaded the ForeignDesk TM software but cannot get started. I could create new projects but have no clue how to add files to the project. I\'ve given up. Anyone who has experience with ForeignDesk?

Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:21
English to German
+ ...
Not much help, I'm afraid Feb 17, 2002

I\'ve only worked with prepped Foreign Desk projects, so I\'m afraid I can\'t offer much help.

One thing that did come to mind though - did you set yourself up as the administrator? When installing the software, you have 2 installation options - administrator or translator.

On a purely personal note from someone who\'s worked with FD over the years, I never did like it. The user interface is not very elegant, you can\'t resize segments, and because it\'s a stand-alone program that does not interface with other text processors, none of your handy little WP macros and shortcuts work.

If you\'re looking for a free CAT software package, check out Wordfast which, AFAIK, is still available free of charge. From what I hear, that may change soon.

My 2 cents\' worth...

FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Can you please give more details about your problem? Feb 17, 2002

If you work with ForeignDesk, the project manager sends you the files in a compressed file .pkc. You have to split files double clicking on the icon and then choose a working directory. Then all you have to do is to clic on the button Open in ForeignDesk and select the correct path.

ForeignDesk is a very nice tool... if you can give me more details about your problem I\'ll try to help you.

Regards,

FP

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ForeignDesk - getting started

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search