Thread poster: ICL

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 12, 2009

Hello Proz.com technical staff:

I am posting this message here because this may be happening to other people, so I thought it would be best to post here, instead of sending a support ticket.

I have been trying to post some links in one of the forums (the Spanish one), as part of a reply to a forum message, both using the corresponding BBcode tags and/or the HMTL tags, and in some cases some "%" characters are added to the URL link, which then makes the URL not correct and, therefore, impossible to access correctly the corresponding web page (you get an error page).

I have tried several times and I believe I am familiar enough with both BBcode and HTML tags, so I don't think it is a problem with my format, because I am using the same format for all my links and in most of them I do not get these "%" characters added. This only happens in a couple cases.

Could there be a bug somewhere in the forum message post area? (I can send you the posting for you to take a look at).

I am using Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702, Windows XP Pro (in Spanish).

Thanks,

Ivette

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Ivette Aug 12, 2009

Please submit a support request providing the links to your postings - this would help the site programmers to take a look into the problem.

Best,
Natalia

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Support ticket Aug 12, 2009

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just thought it would be simpler to get a reply here.

On the other hand, I just tried to post the said reply, and now I am getting a "message waiting moderation" warning. See the following screenshot:

So I don't know if there is another bug, because I normally post my messages immediately without any problem. Since you are a mod, could you please take a look at this?, it's in the Spanish forum at:

www.proz.com/forum/spanish/142688-libros_sobre_la_técnica_o_el_arte_de_la_traducción.html

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Ivette

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Aug 12, 2009

Hi,

Just finally got the posting published (thanks, Natalie), so I can now see the links on the posting.

It seems the added "%" characters only show during the "preview" of the posting, so they are not added when you finally publish the posting.

If this is normal, then please disregard this message and my support ticket.

If not, do let me know if it is a bug.

Later,

Ivette

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Ivette Aug 12, 2009

ICL wrote:
I just thought it would be simpler to get a reply here.

Not quite. Any technical issues need to be fixed by the site programmers, and the best (and fastest) way to draw their attention to the problem is submitting a support request. Of course, you may discuss the problem in the forums, but discussion would not help in eliminating it.

Natalia

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Support ticket sent Aug 12, 2009

Hi again, Natalie,

I followed your kind suggestion immediately, so no problem.

Jared Tabor
Local time: 20:03
SITE STAFF
Possible problem with the preview Aug 12, 2009

Hi Ivette,

As Natalie says, problems of this type are best handled via support. As for the "message awaiting moderation" message, it is possible that your post was sent to vetting by the system due to the number of links it contained (a safeguard to help protect the forums from ads and spam).

The forum preview should show you what your post will look like accurately, so it looks like that may need fixing. Thanks for submitting the support request.

Best regards,

Jared

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Jared Aug 12, 2009

Jared wrote:

As for the "message awaiting moderation" message, it is possible that your post was sent to vetting by the system due to the number of links it contained (a safeguard to help protect the forums from ads and spam).

Of course, it makes sense, especially after all the latest website security fuss (smile...).

Jared wrote:
The forum preview should show you what your post will look like accurately, so it looks like that may need fixing. Thanks for submitting the support request.

And thank you for the prompt reply,

Ivette

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
URL characters Aug 12, 2009

Hi Ivette,

I already addressed some of the issues you reported in my reply to your support request, but since the "problems" were first reported in this forum I will repeat part of my reply to your request here:

- As Jared already explained posts that contain a certain the number of links require vetting as a safeguard to help protect the forums from ads and Spam.

- The "%" symbol that appears when pasting some URLs is related to URL Encoding issues as URLs can only be sent over the Internet using the ASCII character-set. Since some URLs contain characters outside the ASCII set, the URL has to be converted. URL encoding converts the URL into a valid ASCII format.

URL encoding replaces unsafe ASCII characters with "%" followed by two hexadecimal digits corresponding to the character values in the ISO-8859-1 character-set.

URLs cannot contain spaces. URL encoding normally replaces a space with a + sign.

You can find and encoding reference here http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/ref_urlencode.asp

Site staff is already aware of the recent problems with the display of images and is already working on it. I will let you know as soon as it is fixed.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Romina

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Romina Aug 12, 2009

RominaZ wrote:

- The "%" symbol that appears when pasting some URLs is related to URL Encoding issues as URLs can only be sent over the Internet using the ASCII character-set. Since some URLs contain characters outside the ASCII set, the URL has to be converted. URL encoding converts the URL into a valid ASCII format.

URL encoding replaces unsafe ASCII characters with "%" followed by two hexadecimal digits corresponding to the character values in the ISO-8859-1 character-set.

Something new I learned today. I checked your website reference and I realized that the character causing the "preview problem" was the underscore, _ , so this is why I was puzzled. The thing is, when I clicked on the said URL of the link while previewing the posting, the link didn't work, so now I know why.

RominaZ wrote:
Site staff is already aware of the recent problems with the display of images and is already working on it. I will let you know as soon as it is fixed.

In this case, I wonder if it is a problem with the website whose image I am linking to. Maybe the website has some kind of code preventing permanent linking to their images. In my forum posting case, it was a Wikipedia article image, so maybe it has to do with something like that.

Thanks again, Romina, you are always so kind,

Ivette

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Image links in forum posts should be working fine now Aug 12, 2009

Hi Ivette,

The images included in forum postings should be displayed correctly now as the problem has been fixed.

Thanks.

Romina

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it and changed it, Romina Aug 12, 2009

Gracias por última vez hoy,

Ivette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with some links in a forum posting

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search