If Proz Exchange is for members-only, why am I getting bombarded with emails? (Staff: Fixed)
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:42
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 10, 2009

I didn't know Proz Exchange was for members-only until I read a post in the main page. I couldn't post there because that thread is also for members-only. Then why am I receiving so many Proz Exchange emails if I can't even use it? For two days I've been receiving numerous emails about Proz Exchange, I didn't sign up for anything.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-15 15:51 GMT]

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:42
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Staff is aware of the problem with notifications and are working to solve it Sep 10, 2009

Hello Claudia,

The ProZ.com Translators Exchange is a system that users and members can use to offer and request books, language training, CAT tool training, travel advice and more. It is not members-only, or exclusive to certified PROs. Please see Lucía's post for clarification.

It appears that notifications for exchange posts are being sent to users who have chosen not to receive them, and this is
... See more
Hello Claudia,

The ProZ.com Translators Exchange is a system that users and members can use to offer and request books, language training, CAT tool training, travel advice and more. It is not members-only, or exclusive to certified PROs. Please see Lucía's post for clarification.

It appears that notifications for exchange posts are being sent to users who have chosen not to receive them, and this is currently being fixed. I'll let you know here when this problem has been solved. I appreciate your patience, and thanks for reporting it.

Regards,

Alejandro
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Replies seem to be members-only Sep 10, 2009

Hi Alejandro,

The replies seem to be members-only (see the screenshot below), so that would make Exchange one-way only for non-members. Am I not getting the whole picture?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
That's how the system is currently working Sep 10, 2009

Hi Claudia,

Sorry for the confusion. FAQ http://www.proz.com/faq/4531#4531 clarifies that "Both members and users can post to the ProZ.com Exchange. Only members can respond to a post."

Now that this has been brought up, it may make more sense to allow the poster of an Exchange entry to decide whether members only or both members and non-members may respond to their posts.
... See more
Hi Claudia,

Sorry for the confusion. FAQ http://www.proz.com/faq/4531#4531 clarifies that "Both members and users can post to the ProZ.com Exchange. Only members can respond to a post."

Now that this has been brought up, it may make more sense to allow the poster of an Exchange entry to decide whether members only or both members and non-members may respond to their posts.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How about verified members? Sep 10, 2009

Hi Jared,

I don't use this feature of ProZ so it's a bit confusing, but the way I see it, having non-members posting and replying to offers could create a security issue. I mean, anybody could just do it, including scammers. So instead of making it available to members and non-members, how about making it available to members and verified non-members, depending on the poster.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Makes sense to offer all three options, perhaps Sep 10, 2009

Hi Claudia,

Note that non-members can currently post entries. They are unable to respond. I think it would make sense to allow the poster of the entry to decide among three options: Members only, Persons with a verified identity (this would be both member and non-member), and Anyone. With this system, it would be the person posting the Exchange entry who decides who can contact them through the interface.

On a related note, Exchange entries do pass through vettin
... See more
Hi Claudia,

Note that non-members can currently post entries. They are unable to respond. I think it would make sense to allow the poster of the entry to decide among three options: Members only, Persons with a verified identity (this would be both member and non-member), and Anyone. With this system, it would be the person posting the Exchange entry who decides who can contact them through the interface.

On a related note, Exchange entries do pass through vetting by site staff, to help avoid such issues as scams.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Sep 10, 2009

Jared wrote:

On a related note, Exchange entries do pass through vetting by site staff, to help avoid such issues as scams.

Best regards,

Jared

Good to know! Thanks for the clarification Jared.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The problem you reported has been fixed Sep 11, 2009

Hello Claudia,

I just wanted to let you know that the problem that caused notifications for exchange posts to be sent to users who had chosen not to receive them has been fixed.

Thanks again for reporting it.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Alejandro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If Proz Exchange is for members-only, why am I getting bombarded with emails? (Staff: Fixed)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »