Spam email received through my ProZ.com profile (Staff: spam can be reported via the support system)
Thread poster: Jacqueline Sieben

Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 17, 2009

Surprisingly, I received some kind of invitation for a love relationship through Proz.com.

I received an e-mail through Proz.com from someone who used to be a member of Proz.com (it stated the link to her profile, but when clicking on it, there was a message that this person was lo longer registered) telling me that she had read my profile ( I do not have a picture attached to it!), and wants to get acquainted with me.... It is a women (so am I), and she is writing from a yahoo email address.

Anyone ever had this experience? Lol!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-17 13:00 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:10
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Sep 17, 2009

But at least it was a man lol lol lol

I've also been contacted through Proz profile page some time ago by an Arabian saying that he was interested in my services and requesting my MSN ID to discuss the details. I thought it was OK, after all other outsourcers also request it sometimes, so we got in touch but instead of telling me the details of the project, he kept asking things like: "How old are you?" and "Are you married?" So, I immediately asked: What have these questions to do with the project? And he said it was to define my profile and bla bla bla. Then he asked me to send some pictures... I explained that I wasn't going to send any pictures and I was only interested in professional matters and that his approach didn't sound professional at all. Then he started displaying hearts, flower gifs and a whole bunch of crap and said he wanted to come to Portugal to get to know me... God, it's so ridiculous...

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
but it was a woman, not a man Sep 17, 2009

[quote]Elisabete Cunha wrote:

But at least it was a man lol lol lol

No, this is a woman, writing to me, also a woman, and she saw this in my profile! lol lol

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Automatic Sep 17, 2009

Does it read like automatic/generic, like meant for a man? Like "I want to hold you in my arms" and stuff like that?

A real date request without prior conversation would be extremely rare.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:10
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
I got it too Sep 17, 2009

Could be the same person who sent one to me yesterday. I reported it as spam.
By the way, I think you put this in the wrong forum. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with ProZ translation contests.

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Me too Sep 17, 2009

I once got a message from a married Japanese woman with a rich and busy husband looking for some extramarital fun. She even said in her "introduction" email that I didn't have to worry about money because she would pay for everything (hotel room, I suppose).
I do not think it was a real person, because the email said she was explicitely looking for a man, and I don't think I look like one so far.

I also got one from a man as well, saying "I love you"...I ignored both.

I think it is best not to answer those things because many times the first mail comes from a company who is just sending out random emails to see who is going to answer. If you do answer, and even if you send a negative answer, you mail box will rapidly be flooded by the same kind of emails coming from different persons who registered with the "meeting" services of this company.

Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 05:10
English to Romanian
This is spam Sep 17, 2009

This is spam - you should report it using a Support Request.

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cases of Spam should be reported to the ProZ.com support center Sep 17, 2009

Dear Jacqueline,

Cases of Spam should be reported to the ProZ.com support center. If you are receiving Spam in the form of a profile message you simply have to click on the link next to
Unsolicited advertising? Spam? click here:
line at the bottom of the email you received in your email inbox.

If you are receiving Spam as an instant message you simply have to click on the "Report Spam" button at the bottom of the message.

In both cases a support request will be automatically generated containing all the necessary information ProZ.com support staff needs to take appropriate action.

Thanks!

Romina

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Sep 17, 2009

for your input..

Strange thing is that this message was rather personal, and from a person who used to be a member of Proz.com. I will do what you've advised, Romina, thanks!

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
was in another section previously... Sep 17, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

Could be the same person who sent one to me yesterday. I reported it as spam.
By the way, I think you put this in the wrong forum. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with ProZ translation contests.

I had put it in the off topic section, but it was moved to this one...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spam email received through my ProZ.com profile (Staff: spam can be reported via the support system)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search