Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
"Help Us Choose a Name" spam (Staff: action taken)
Thread poster: Anne Koth

Anne Koth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:32
Member (Feb 2018)
German to English
Dec 15, 2009

Is anyone else getting irritating spam from some new translation website, saying "Help us choose a name"? (Several names spring to mind, but probably not the sort they want...)

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-12-16 12:06 GMT]

Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received this email too Dec 15, 2009

Yes, Anne. You are not alone. I also received this email today, however, I deleted it without opening it to be on the safe side. We have to be so careful.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Thanks for making this public Dec 15, 2009

Thanks for making this public, Anneicon_wink.gif. We really don't need more spams, especially not of that kind!

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Did the same thing Dec 15, 2009

Deleted without opening.

BTW I must admit that (fortunatelly), since last October 1st, I receive almost NO spam from Dutch senders, due to the new Dutch anti-spam act. Unfortunatelly, speaking in terms of spam, the world is much bigger than NL...

Best regards,
Sherefedin

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received it, but it was a blank message with no attachments..... Dec 15, 2009

...so maybe they forgot to add the viral attachment..... icon_smile.gif

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 06:32
Turkish to English
+ ...
I received it and completed the survey Dec 15, 2009

What is the problem?

Irène Guinez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to French
+ ...
they are spam but we are clever Dec 15, 2009

I received this message this morning and I deleted it without opening it, of course.

It 's so annoying but it is part of our job: spam and more spam...

Irène Guinez

Anne Koth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (Feb 2018)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
spam Dec 15, 2009

Tim Drayton wrote:
What is the problem?

Just wondering where they got my e-mail address from, and if it was a scam - but maybe it is just a publicity scheme along the lines of "throw a huge net and you'll probably catch a few fish, even if you scare the rest off". At the end of the e-mail it asks if I want to be taken off their mailing list, but I didn't click the link in case it was indeed some sort of trick.
Is there some way spammers can get multiple e-mail addresses off Proz? I assume they didn't look up all our addresses individually.

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Russian
+ ...
Quite inventive Dec 15, 2009

Anne Koth wrote:

Is there some way spammers can get multiple e-mail addresses off Proz?

As far as I know they use all translators' data bases available online. How do they get real e-mail addresses? It's hard to say but people from China are quite inventive...

RichardDeegan
Local time: 22:32
Spanish to English
Watch out for those "Take me off your mailing list" things Dec 15, 2009

This is one of the most lucrative parts of many spam messages, as well as a leading source of revenue.
Once you hit one of those "Take me off your list" things, you have just confirmed to the spammer that yours is a legitimate address. While the spammer (or that particular division of a spammer) may take you off their list, they will immediately out it with all the other confirmed valid addresses to sell to other spammers. That's where the money come rolling in.
While some spámmers may take the time needed to troll sites looking for addresses, much more common (nd less time-consuming) is starting with a@aaaa.com or net and running through zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz@zzzzzzzzz.com or net. (These now get mixed with numbers, too) Once programmed, out go the mails with no more time lost. Then sit back, wait for the confirmed addresses and sell them to the real scam artists.

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Russian
+ ...
"Take me off your list" things Dec 15, 2009

Good reply, Richard.

RichardDeegan wrote:

Once you hit one of those "Take me off your list" things, you have just confirmed to the spammer that yours is a legitimate address.

Absolutely: you should never hit those "Take me off your list" things from unreliable senders.

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
They seem to mine people's web sites Dec 15, 2009

I received several of these, one each to a few e-mail addresses that are public on my web site-- so possibly they start with sites like ProZ then spider links from people's profiles. One of the e-mails I received did have some content (something about suggesting a name for some new site or something-- struck me as a slightly bizarre request and deleted without getting too far into it), then several others were just blank.

Not actually sure whether the intent was malicious, or whether it's somebody who really does want to brainstorm for a name for their site and is just doing it slightly overenthusiastically.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 22:32
Spanish
+ ...
Junk mail Dec 16, 2009

I received it too. Most e-mail providers have the option to mark senders as spam, that's what I did.

dazsnow
United Kingdom
What's the problem? Dec 16, 2009

"we have to be so careful" - why? what will happen to you if you spend 2 minutes to help someone?

What I received was simply a friendly email asking for advice. Unlike genuine spam, it wasn't asking me to buy penis-enlargement tablets or suchlike. I assume it was sent to us because it is our opinions that are valued. The short survey would have taken less time than it's surely taken to come and complain about it on here. I really don't see what the problem is and am happy to help. I don't see how it can be a scam - they already have my email address and don't ask for any other information about me.

What is concerning though is how they got all our email addresses... but to be fair, we do tend to throw our email addresses all over the place these days without really knowing who has access to them so unsolicited emails have to be expected. We can always just ignore them.

[Edited at 2009-12-16 11:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-12-16 18:12 GMT]

betterlife
China
Local time: 11:32
English to Chinese
I never received it Dec 16, 2009

I never received it, but received spam related to pills again and again.:roll:

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Help Us Choose a Name" spam (Staff: action taken)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search