Er...lots of what appears to be Hindi script on the site, and only this site (FIXED)
Thread poster: Grayson Morr (X)
Grayson Morr (X)
Grayson Morr (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:25
Dutch to English
Feb 6, 2010

In the past hour, about half the script on all ProZ pages has turned into Hindi (or something similar; forgive my ignorance). Only ProZ is affected; all other sites I visit in the same browser are fine. It doesn't matter what text encoding I choose; most of the text is garbled beyond recognition (for me, anyway ).

Now I just hope I hit the right button to post...

[Edited at 2010-02-06 15:21 GMT]

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:25
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
proz language settings Feb 6, 2010

Hi Grayson,
Maybe you clicked on a link given by someone who as using the Hindi localized version of the site, and ...it stuck? I don't know what else might have happened. At the bottom right corner of this page (or any other proz page) there's a white pull-down menu. Open it and select English. I hope it works!!!
Maria

Grayson Morr (X)
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Was a browser problem after all... Feb 6, 2010

...for whatever reason, that tab in Safari switched to the garbled mess, but the rest of my tabs were unaffected. Wish I knew what I'd done, but probably never will.

ETA: mmm, maybe not a browser issue after all. This tab is working fine now, too, and I've done nothing.

[Edited at 2010-02-06 15:20 GMT]

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thanks for confirming everything is working fine now, Grayson. Feb 6, 2010

Please let me know if this happens again and I'll be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Lucia

Grayson Morr (X)
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Maria, you're brilliant! Feb 6, 2010

Thanks - I hit the back button on this browser tab to get back to the Hindi version, and indeed, the white menu at the bottom was not set to English. Must have hit the touchpad inadvertently while the cursor was down there...though it started when I did a Google search; the strange characters were in the search result itself. Guess Google cached that particular page on ProZ in Hindi.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Er...lots of what appears to be Hindi script on the site, and only this site (FIXED)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »