Thread poster: Ildiko Santana

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:11
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...

Dec 17, 2003

Recently, I received a message from ProZ.com that someone requested a password change to my account. Very disturbing and alarming, since it was *not* me..
As a first reaction, I wanted to change my password, and was surprised to learn that a) I am not asked for my old password, b) I am not asked for any self-identification, c) it takes a few hours to send me a "Do you really want to do this?" type of message for confirmation, with a few-hour window for replies, and by the time someone sent that to me I was sound asleep, so my request eventually timed out and got rejected...

Is this really ProZ.com's best way to handle hacking attempts?

Direct link Reply with quote

Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:11
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Hacking Dec 17, 2003

Ildiko wrote :

Is this really ProZ.com's best way to handle hacking attempts?

Well,
Just wait a few hours before jumping to the conclusion that somebody tried to "hack" you !

You had the "right reaction" : warning Proz that you feel that something abnormal occured...

I am confident that somebody of our technical staff will investigate your query very soon and give you an appropriate anser.

We are all concerned about it...

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Odd events... Dec 17, 2003

Someone else had their name changed without having requested it, I wonder if these two could be related... http://www.proz.com/topic/16699

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:11
SITE FOUNDER
Email confirmation is accepted practice Dec 17, 2003

Thoguh possible, it is not safe to assume that this is a hacking attempt. Someone could have a similar username. With several other "ildiko"s at ProZ.com, it is certainly not out of the question.

Apart from that, email confirmation is a widely used means of verifying password change requests. Someone without access to your email account would not be able to make a change to your password.

The emails go out instantly by the way. You might want to check the v-w servers again...

I am moving this posting from the KudoZ forum to ProZ.com tech support.

louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
A couple of years back Dec 18, 2003

I used to get this all the time but then it just stopped! Maybe a glitch in the system?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who asked for my password?!

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search