Using CD-R/CD-RW
Thread poster: Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:31
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 23, 2002

Hi Colleagues:

I have a few large files that I would like to save into a CD. I used my CD Creator (that came with my computer) and successfully saved them into a CD. (I tried both CD-R and CD-RW and they were both successful). Now the PROBLEM is when I changed any information on a saved file, I was not able to save it again. I got a message saying that it\'s \"readable only\" or something like that. All those computer whizzes out there, please HELP! ...
See more
Hi Colleagues:

I have a few large files that I would like to save into a CD. I used my CD Creator (that came with my computer) and successfully saved them into a CD. (I tried both CD-R and CD-RW and they were both successful). Now the PROBLEM is when I changed any information on a saved file, I was not able to save it again. I got a message saying that it\'s \"readable only\" or something like that. All those computer whizzes out there, please HELP!

Thanks a million in advance.

Collapse

Mollanazar
Mollanazar
Iran
Local time: 10:01
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Buy Rewriteable CD Mar 23, 2002

Hi Brenda,

If you would like to write again to your CD, you need to have a rewriteable CD. If you don\'t have, you can only save materials on a WCD only once. Regards

French Locale
French Locale
Local time: 08:31
English to French
+ ...
CD-R & CD-RW Mar 23, 2002

Normally, you should be able to overwrite data on a CD-RW via Windows Explorer, just as you would move files from one hard drive to another, provided you use DirectCD (normally provided with Easy CD Creator) and format your CDRW accordingly - However, this is not the best solution as the transfer rates are really, really slow, even with a SCSI Burner. To back up data up to 250 Mb(for my personal use), I bought a 250MB USB Zip Drive - much quicker and really friendly!

As for
... See more
Normally, you should be able to overwrite data on a CD-RW via Windows Explorer, just as you would move files from one hard drive to another, provided you use DirectCD (normally provided with Easy CD Creator) and format your CDRW accordingly - However, this is not the best solution as the transfer rates are really, really slow, even with a SCSI Burner. To back up data up to 250 Mb(for my personal use), I bought a 250MB USB Zip Drive - much quicker and really friendly!

As for CD-R, they are normally read-only - I\'m not sure about how CD Creator works (I gave up using that software long time ago and moved to Nero), but have a try either with a multisession disk and a normal session but leaving the session open (should be in the options provided when you create a CD). Please note however that you\'d better not send a cd to a client or whoever with a session opened as it may work fine on your machine but not on his or hers.

Have fun!

Véronique
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-23 07:24, Mollanazar wrote:

If you would like to write again to your CD, you need to have a rewriteable CD. If you don\'t have, you can only save materials on a WCD only once. Regards

Not quite... Just needs to close the session and leave the CD open. Any kind of CD will do. The difference with RW is that you may erase things and alter the structure.

Chee... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-23 07:24, Mollanazar wrote:

Not quite... Just needs to close the session and leave the CD open. Any kind of CD will do. The difference with RW is that you may erase things and alter the structure.

Cheers,

P. ▲ Collapse

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
CD-R read only Mar 25, 2002

There\'s an easy fix to that problem which I also had:

Open Windows Expolorer and right-click on filename. Select Properties und uncheck the Read-only check-box in the Attributes section.

Let me know if you still have problems.

e-rich
[addsig]

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
CD-R read only Mar 25, 2002

There\'s an easy fix to that problem which I also had:

Open Windows Expolorer and right-click on filename. Select Properties und uncheck the Read-only check-box in the Attributes section.

Let me know if you still have problems.

e-rich

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Also Mar 25, 2002

As stated earlier, you need to leave the CD open after creating a session. To add delete or change the contents, you then need to open CD Creator and select Import Session. Then add files to the existing structure, delete etc. Note that it is not such a great idea to add more than 4 sessions or so to a CD. Any more and there is a risk of losing your data.

This works perfectly well with the cheaper CD-R CDs. You don\'t need CD-RW CDs to do this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using CD-R/CD-RW

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »