Help needed with ProZ profile: how to declare more than one native language?
Thread poster: SST
SST
SST  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:59
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Apr 18, 2004

Hello everyone,

I registered as a ProZ member quite a long time ago, and then wasn't an active member up until recently.
I remember that during the registration I was prompted to declare only ONE native language, and I chose Ukrainian, however, I have 2 native languages, Ukrainian and Russian (Ukrainian Mum, Russian Dad, speaking 2 languages at home all the time).

Now, when I go to the "Declare native language" section, I get the following:

"ProZ.com
... See more
Hello everyone,

I registered as a ProZ member quite a long time ago, and then wasn't an active member up until recently.
I remember that during the registration I was prompted to declare only ONE native language, and I chose Ukrainian, however, I have 2 native languages, Ukrainian and Russian (Ukrainian Mum, Russian Dad, speaking 2 languages at home all the time).

Now, when I go to the "Declare native language" section, I get the following:

"ProZ.com Native Speaker
Tanya Avramenko has reported the following native language:
Ukrainian
Tanya Avramenko has declared that this is his or her only native language"

and ONLY is written in bold...

Is there any way to add one more language?
Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
Georgian to English
+ ...
Help with setting native/habitual language Apr 18, 2004

Hello Tanya,
first go to MyProz - Settings - Native language
and try clicking first on
'declare one native language',
and then on
'declare more than one native language'.
See if either of those gives an option to
'add language pairs'
(ie: add another one).
Have a good look in those places, and if there isn't an option then please submit a support request explaining the problem
(and please let me know how you get on:-)).

I
... See more
Hello Tanya,
first go to MyProz - Settings - Native language
and try clicking first on
'declare one native language',
and then on
'declare more than one native language'.
See if either of those gives an option to
'add language pairs'
(ie: add another one).
Have a good look in those places, and if there isn't an option then please submit a support request explaining the problem
(and please let me know how you get on:-)).

If you find that an option to add a language pair isn't being displayed, when you have a good look, it will be to do with the mechanism that is intended to discourage a native/habitual language being added frivolously (once declared they can't be changed), but that definitely isn't intended to stop someone in your situation adding Russian if you offer it to that standard. (So have a good look, then go ahead and get in touch, if necessary.)
Best wishes
Giuli
(Eng Rus Geo)

[Edited at 2004-04-18 10:15]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:29
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Declaring a Native Language Apr 18, 2004

Tanya Avramenko wrote:
Is there any way to add one more language?

Dear Tanya,

you can find extensive explanation about the Native Languages in ProZ.com in the FAQ
http://www.proz.com/faq#pns

Normally is not possible to change the native language declared on the site.
The site allows all members to declare one or more native languages, with the following restrictions:

- Declaring a single native language is not reversible, as it is assumed that a member should not suddenly remember, after a period of time, to have actually another native language.
During the setting of the native language is clearly stated that the option is not reversible or editable in the future.
A member who reports having only one native language is assumed to be a native speaker of that language, and is not required to demonstrate it.

- Declaring more than one native language is also allowed, but members who report multiple native languages will be asked, in the future, to demonstrate their skills in each language before other native speakers of those languages.
Until this has been accomplished, a black and gray icon will be associated with the "unconfirmed" multiple native languages.

For your specific case: if you have committed a genuine mistake when declaring only one language, we could help you to bypass the block in changing your data, but it is something that we would like to avoid doing en-masse, as the procedure to revert an incorrect setting is quite time consuming.

The native language declaration is also well guided and there are many warnings before the confirmation.
Please, contact me writing to Support.

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Support Team

SST
SST  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:59
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 18, 2004

Thank you for the wonderful prompt response!

Again, I should say that I do not remember the registration procedure very clearly as it was a log time ago, and then I was too busy with my full-time job and never had time for my freelance projects, but I vaguely remember that I was asked to declare only one language as my native one...

Thank you for helping me, it is very kind of you!

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
Georgian to English
+ ...
Thanks for pointing that out, Gianfranco Apr 18, 2004

Gianfranco wrote:
....but it is something that we would like to avoid doing en-masse, as the procedure to revert an incorrect setting is quite time consuming.

and for offering to help in this case
Giuli~

[Edited at 2004-04-18 13:49]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed with ProZ profile: how to declare more than one native language?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »