https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/208147-multiple_visits_from_the_same_ip_in_my_%22visitors%22_tab.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Multiple visits from the same IP in my "Visitors" tab
Thread poster: Igor Radosavljevic
Igor Radosavljevic
Igor Radosavljevic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 19:20
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Sep 21, 2011

There is a strange thing going on on my profile.

Under the Visitors tab, I often see an IP address from a certain place (i.e. always the same one).

The odd thing is that I get monthly over 20 (or more) visits from the same place, while the average is 1 or 2 from various sources. It goes on for months now. My business affiliates are not from that part of the world, and since I am not a pretty blond, it made me think the issue might be hacking. I did not seem to have any
... See more
There is a strange thing going on on my profile.

Under the Visitors tab, I often see an IP address from a certain place (i.e. always the same one).

The odd thing is that I get monthly over 20 (or more) visits from the same place, while the average is 1 or 2 from various sources. It goes on for months now. My business affiliates are not from that part of the world, and since I am not a pretty blond, it made me think the issue might be hacking. I did not seem to have any trouble, aside from not being able to log in, so I requested a new login name and password.

Does it sound odd to you?

Is there anyone out there with something similar, that would allow for site hacking suspicion?

I am really curious,
Regards,
igor

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2011-09-21 20:48 GMT]
Collapse

opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search engines Sep 21, 2011

Theoretically, every web site can be hacked, and ProZ.com should be no exception -- only that some sites have very good protection and are very difficult to get into, so there must be something of real value for the crackers to try and get through the doors ...

But those you are talking about are probably just search engines -- even though ProZ lets you opt out of "crawler visits", it just doesn't work -- I'm getting multiple hits from Bing, Yandex, and Google almost every day, and
... See more
Theoretically, every web site can be hacked, and ProZ.com should be no exception -- only that some sites have very good protection and are very difficult to get into, so there must be something of real value for the crackers to try and get through the doors ...

But those you are talking about are probably just search engines -- even though ProZ lets you opt out of "crawler visits", it just doesn't work -- I'm getting multiple hits from Bing, Yandex, and Google almost every day, and just try to ignore them. I have mentioned this issue in the past, but nothing seems to have changed since.

(BTW, has anyone ever put forward a proposal to create a private discussion space which is not accessible to search engines? Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not keen on my each and every word being recorded for the next two millenia or so -- that's why I'm keeping a semi-anonymous profile.)

If there was really an attack coming your way, Igor, you wouldn't notice it through some user out there just hitting your page like mad (well, unless it's a rather stupid hacker) -- rather, ProZ admins should see it in their firewall logs. Hopefully, they do! Because personally I am worried about ProZ not being watertight, there have been so many hacks on web sites recently that I hope ProZ is really, really well prepared for that, especially wrt to their password mechanism and backups. But that's for another thread I suppose, sorry to go off topic.
Collapse

Igor Radosavljevic
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And the magic word is... Sep 21, 2011

Yandex (Russian Federation), repeadedly and endlessly.

Thank you Opolt,
and I sincerely hope that it is not something more sophisticated than search engines, as we might think.

I am not panicky, yet, after 30 or so hits, one begins to wonder.

Thanks for sharing,
Kind regards,
Igor

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 13:20
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Not being able to log on Sep 21, 2011

Hi Igor,

I noticed you said you sometimes have trouble logging on. Does this happen regularly? Is there some reason you think the two issues might be related?

Regards,

NancyLynn

Igor Radosavljevic
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It happened a week or so ago... Sep 21, 2011

only once (for now), however, I somehow started maybe erroneously combining the two.

In private mails, now I got informed that Washington and Redmond are appearing quite regularly, having the Microsoft Corp. ISP designation. Since I am into computers and Microsoft degrees, I thought that it might well be something business related.

How naive of me.

So, the bottom line is that those "false positives" of one's profile being visited are quite annoying then.<
... See more
only once (for now), however, I somehow started maybe erroneously combining the two.

In private mails, now I got informed that Washington and Redmond are appearing quite regularly, having the Microsoft Corp. ISP designation. Since I am into computers and Microsoft degrees, I thought that it might well be something business related.

How naive of me.

So, the bottom line is that those "false positives" of one's profile being visited are quite annoying then.

And I see that I am not the only one having this issue.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Yes, I've had log-on trouble too, plus Sep 21, 2011

many, many visits from the state of Washington, Microsoft Corp., except I don't do computer-related translation!

These are bots, I guess.

However the log-on trouble is troubling indeed.... not because I think there are hackers, but because I need to log on!

Igor Radosavljevic
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If you fill out a log-on request ticket... Sep 21, 2011

...things are sorted out quite fast.

Yet, the idea of having prospective "non-visitors" visitors, might get out of control one day.

What annoys me most is the fact that I cannot have a true insight on my list of visitors.

That's all.

Lindsay Spratt
Lindsay Spratt  Identity Verified
France
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yandex Sep 22, 2011

Hi Igor!

I used to get multiple visits from Yandex, Russian Federation too. I got about 25 visits from this IP address in July, but none since then. I was a little concerned too. Don't really know what could be behind it!

Best,
Lindsay.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:20
French to English
+ ...
Search engines Sep 22, 2011

If you have a public web site/server, then any machine in the world is perfectly entitled to connect to your server and say, "please can I have page X". And there are all sorts of weird and wonderful machines around the world that will do so.

Legitimate search engines can make several requests to a site per hour, let alone per month. I wouldn't say that 20 visits per month is in any way excessive.

If it *was* anything excessive going on (e.g. several requests per second
... See more
If you have a public web site/server, then any machine in the world is perfectly entitled to connect to your server and say, "please can I have page X". And there are all sorts of weird and wonderful machines around the world that will do so.

Legitimate search engines can make several requests to a site per hour, let alone per month. I wouldn't say that 20 visits per month is in any way excessive.

If it *was* anything excessive going on (e.g. several requests per second), I would expect ProZ's webmasters to investigate, looking at more information than just the IP address (e.g. whether the "agent" that claimed to be sending the request was a registered search bot).
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
Dotnetdotcom Sep 22, 2011

is another search engine that ProZ for some reason fails to recognize.

I say “fails to recognize” because almost every search engine identifies itself as a bot using one of several conventions. ProZ’s site stats system is the first web site I’ve ever come across that doesn’t seem to check for bots using any of these conventions.

20 per month is certainly not excessive. Even 20 per day is not. I’ve read that a certain Chinese search engine used to, a
... See more
is another search engine that ProZ for some reason fails to recognize.

I say “fails to recognize” because almost every search engine identifies itself as a bot using one of several conventions. ProZ’s site stats system is the first web site I’ve ever come across that doesn’t seem to check for bots using any of these conventions.

20 per month is certainly not excessive. Even 20 per day is not. I’ve read that a certain Chinese search engine used to, at one point in the past, make so many visits per day that it would crash some sites being visited.

(Edited for typos)

[Edited at 2011-09-22 05:35 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I am not sure why proz.com suddenly became powerless to recognize "web crawler" visits... Sep 23, 2011

...given that it seemed to have a pretty good filtering system in place a few years ago. This suddenly changed (I assume as a result of some new system being put in place) and--as far as I can see--the same problem has persisted for the past three years or so. At this point, the "visitors" function seems to have lost almost any utility whatsoever, and placing the burden on each user to identify each and every unwanted web crawler to be filtered (a single site like google can utilize dozens of di... See more
...given that it seemed to have a pretty good filtering system in place a few years ago. This suddenly changed (I assume as a result of some new system being put in place) and--as far as I can see--the same problem has persisted for the past three years or so. At this point, the "visitors" function seems to have lost almost any utility whatsoever, and placing the burden on each user to identify each and every unwanted web crawler to be filtered (a single site like google can utilize dozens of different IP addresses) is--if you will pardon the frankness--simply outrageous.

Surely there must be some better technical solution available.

[Edited at 2011-09-23 15:28 GMT]
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:20
Have not crashed yet. Sep 23, 2011

Igor Radosavljevic wrote:

...Washington and Redmond are appearing quite regularly, having the Microsoft Corp. ISP designation.
And I see that I am not the only one having this issue.

I also get mutliple visits from (Yandex) Russian Federation and the above two.

Started out as 6 or 7, now up to 20 or so.

It makes no sense from a human perspective: Igor and I share no common traits: country, language pair, etc.

I would prefer it if these visits were not there.

If one's profile page did crash, is ProZ able to recover it?

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
Any updates on the promised updates? (sorry for the pun) Nov 19, 2011

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but when can we expect to have Yandex, Bing, and Dotnetdotcom filtered out from the list of visitors and put into the list of crawler visits?

Doing this can’t be that hard, can it?

Susanne Friesen
Susanne Friesen  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Danish
+ ...
Curious about any updates, too Feb 4, 2012

I would certainly be interested in any new reply from ProZ staff to this ongoing issue as well. Since back in the fall I get a lot of those bots (e.g. Mountainview, Yandex) , too. It would be really nice to see some kind of solution to this problem soon from a site whose services we are all paying for. Thank you!

Igor Radosavljevic
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
FYI Feb 4, 2012

Yandex became American.

Congratulations to all of us!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple visits from the same IP in my "Visitors" tab

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »