https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/21293-how_is_translation_related_degree_defined.html

How is "translation-related degree" defined?
Thread poster: Agnes Douwes
Agnes Douwes
Agnes Douwes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
English to Dutch
May 17, 2004

Hello,

Could you please clarify the definition of "highest translation-related degree" that is listed as an option in the Profile Data? Specifically, does this refer to an actual degree in translation, or to having obtained a degree that is directly relevant to the area of the translator's specialty?

Thanks in advance,

Agnes Marston

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Good point! May 17, 2004

Agnes Marston, MPA wrote:

Hello,

Could you please clarify the definition of "highest translation-related degree" that is listed as an option in the Profile Data? Specifically, does this refer to an actual degree in translation, or to having obtained a degree that is directly relevant to the area of the translator's specialty?

Thanks in advance,

Agnes Marston

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Directly relevant May 17, 2004

Some of our more senior translators are linguistics/philology graduates (or MAs or Doctorates), for example, or were in University before T&I programs were instituted.

Agnes Douwes
Agnes Douwes  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
More re. definition of translation-related degree May 18, 2004

Hi Parrot,

Thanks for your answer, I can see how that applies to people with older T&I experience. But I'm still wondering whether the term is meant to apply to an actual degree in translation/interpretation/language/linguistics etc. (i.e. the techniques/processes of translation), or whether it can also be used for degrees that are directly relevant to the subject/content of the translator's specialty, even if the degree is not in language/linguistics. For example, I have an MPA and
... See more
Hi Parrot,

Thanks for your answer, I can see how that applies to people with older T&I experience. But I'm still wondering whether the term is meant to apply to an actual degree in translation/interpretation/language/linguistics etc. (i.e. the techniques/processes of translation), or whether it can also be used for degrees that are directly relevant to the subject/content of the translator's specialty, even if the degree is not in language/linguistics. For example, I have an MPA and I specialize in management/business, so it's directly relevant to my subject. The reason that I'm being so picky is that I wonder if I can list my degree in the "Experience" section on the upper right of the Profile. I don't want to misrepresent that I have a degree in linguistics, but I do want to feature my MPA, so I will list it under "Experience" until someone officially notifies me that that's not OK.

Thanks again in advance,

Agnes Marston

[Edited at 2004-05-30 11:56]
Collapse

Atenea Acevedo (X)
Atenea Acevedo (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks, Agnes May 18, 2004

I've been wondering about this myself. I also have graduate studies in my field of expertise, and stronly believe they are a valuable asset when it comes to delivering professional translations (and definitely give you lots of ground to be a more proficient interpreter as well).

Atenea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is "translation-related degree" defined?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »