Why is Proz.com unavailable - again!?
Thread poster: Amy Williams

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:09
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2004

Yesterday the site was down for a couple of hours and today (Monday) it has been down for most of the morning and afternoon (on and off).
Is there a reason for this and would it be possible to have an update on the home page about planned times when the site will be down? (I appreciate that in emergencies this could be difficult.)
Thanks,
Amy

PS I've just remembered that details about the 'Site Status' are available through the dropdown menu 'About', but I would have appreciated a notice on the homepage, or an e-mail, seeing as access today has been pretty much hopeless.
[Edited at 2004-06-07 15:12]

[Edited at 2004-06-07 15:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
English to Tamil
+ ...
Is it perhaps due to Google problem? Jun 7, 2004

I mean, uploading their adverts in all the sightings is perhaps loading the server too much!
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:09
English to German
+ ...
Database maintenance Jun 7, 2004

Hi Amy,
Is there a reason for this and would it be possible to have an update on the home page about planned times when the site will be down? (I appreciate that in emergencies this could be difficult.)

Have a look at the site status updates (accessible through the Support section on the main navigation):

06JUN2004 - 1500-1800
Database problems

Problems with the master database caused intermittent connectivity problems during this time.

07JUN2004
Database maintenance

Database maintenance will be performed today--the site may be slow or temporarily unreachable throughout the day.

Although I have been critical of ProZ.com's information policy regarding site problems in the past, I really appreciate the information provided this time, as well as during the power failure in early May.

HTH, Ralf

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you're right, Ralf Jun 7, 2004

Hi Ralf,
Yes, you're right that the information was there all the time - although to be honest I've had trouble accessing the site to be able to read it...

...Which is why (in spite of my moaning yesterday about pages being all-singing, all-dancing) I'd have appreciated a message about today's disruptions somewhere more prominent such as the homepage. I'll make sure I keep an eye on the Site Status page in future.

Have a good week.

Mario Marcolin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Maintenanace notifications would be nice Jun 7, 2004

I agree with Amy; some notification on access limitations should be emailed - at least when the limitations are due to *planned* maintenance.

Planning is everything in this business..

All the best,

Mario

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This wasn't planned, as far as I can tell Jun 7, 2004

Hi Mario,
I agree with Amy; some notification on access limitations should be emailed - at least when the limitations are due to *planned* maintenance.

I haven't had a chance to liaise with Jason on this one, but if you look at yesterday's notice, I'm pretty sure that "database maintenance" means (urgent) repairs.

The ProZ.com team are working on this, of course: Henry was fully aware of it (and working) when Gianfranco checked very early this morning (US time).

Thanks to everyone for their patience.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jason Grimes
Local time: 01:09
SITE STAFF
This was an unplanned problem Jun 7, 2004

The intermittent downtime today and yesterday was an unplanned emergency. A bug caused a failure in our master database, which caused the site to be unavailable for 2.5 hours on Sunday and again for 4.5 hours today. The bug has been corrected, and the load-balancing databases have been restored. Service should be back to normal.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Jason

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for letting us know, Jason.
Have a good week.

Mario Marcolin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thank you Jason Jun 7, 2004

for your swift actions, and the good explanation!

All the best,

Mario

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is Proz.com unavailable - again!?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search