Accent-sensitive term search (Staff: issue acknowledged)
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:27
Spanish to English
Apr 15, 2012

Has anyone else noticed that the term search has become accent sensitive?

If you do not have the accent in the same place as in the answer, you will not find it.

This is relatively new, was it deliberate? because it is certainly not convenient.

Would it be possible to fix it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Not new Apr 16, 2012

Hi Lesley,

The accent-sensitive feature has been there for a couple of years. I simply search with and without accents. It makes the search a lot more thorough than before it was possible to search with accents.

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:27
French to German
+ ...
Thanks... Apr 16, 2012

for bringing this to my attention.
I never realised a search with and without accents would yield different results. From now on, I will certainly make sure to do both searches.

Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:27
Member (2008)
Greek to English
Not feature - bug Apr 16, 2012

Yolanda Broad wrote:
The accent-sensitive feature has been there for a couple of years.

The accent-sensitive bug has made the term search much less useful when it comes to Greek terms, especially when somebody has entered them into the glossary with the accent in the wrong place.

Like Lesley, I would be very pleased if somebody could fix this bug.

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
It might be a feature in some languages but Apr 16, 2012

In Spanish it definitely is not.

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would also prefer that the "accent-sensitive" feature be eliminated Apr 16, 2012

I don't see the purpose that it serves, and it is an inconvenience for those of us who have to type in the term in MS Word and then paste it into the term field just to do a simple search.

It has also been in place for more than a couple of years.

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Feature or bug Apr 16, 2012

It would be interesting if someone from Proz would clarify whether Proz considers this a feature or a bug.

Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:27
Member (2008)
Greek to English
Why not make it optional? Apr 18, 2012

Lesley Clarke wrote:

It would be interesting if someone from Proz would clarify whether Proz considers this a feature or a bug.

I think Yolanda has already answered that.

Would not the best solution be to make the "accent sensitive" search optional, not mandatory?

A simple checkbox ought to do it.

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply from Proz Apr 19, 2012

"The option to make term searches not sensitive to accents has been added to the list of possible improvements to the term search tool. If and when the term search tool is updated, this option may be added."

In other words, total indifference

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What I don't understand is... Apr 21, 2012

...why the searches were at some point made sensitive to accents, since this was originally not the case.

What was the reasoning behind the change? It certainly did not make things easier, since now we have entries in the glossary for identical terms, both with and without accents. Thus, in order to do a comprehensive search for a given term containing one word containing an accent, you really need to do two searches (i.e., with and without accents). And if the term should contain two or more accented words, then four or more searches (!) would have to be done to cover all the possible combinations of accented and unaccented versions.

Would it make sense proz.com staff to answer to this? Or should we not bother, given the likelihood of receiving the following reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry. If and when we deem it appropriate to investigate the reasons behind the change to accent-sensitive inquiries in the future, we will do so. And if the results of said hypothetical inquiry are not utterly embarrassing to us, we may even make them public. Thank you for your support of the site."

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:27
Hebrew to English
Anecdotal, I can't find the evidence but... Apr 21, 2012

I seem to remember another discussion where this came up and someone from the staff, maybe a moderator piped up that "they were working on fixing it" - so a bug then? They can't seem to decide...

...In any case, I don't think it's something that's high on their agenda and I wouldn't expect it to be "fixed" any time soon, so don't hold your breath folks...

In addition, I can't speak for every non-Roman script language, but term search is absolutely atrocious for Hebrew.

I usually rely on Google search and go via there.

[Edited at 2012-04-21 19:38 GMT]

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I second that emotion, Robert and Ty Apr 21, 2012

I was really surprised at the attitude of the Proz staff and have absolutely no memory of this change in the term search being proposed or asked for in any of the forums.

I used to recommend Proz to other translators, but it doesn't seem worth recommending anymore.

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Site staff does acknowledge bug reports and suggestions for improvements Apr 23, 2012

Hello all,

Lesley Clarke wrote:

"The option to make term searches not sensitive to accents has been added to the list of possible improvements to the term search tool. If and when the term search tool is updated, this option may be added."

In other words, total indifference

I am afraid it is not fair to say that ProZ.com site staff has been indifferent to the suggestions posted here as well as to the ones sent via the support system. As you quote in your post, Lesley, site staff informed you that the issue with accents in searches has been indeed added to the list of possible improvements, just as the rest of the issues reported.

What may not have been clarified though is that improvements suggested take time to be evaluated. When it comes to issues with the Terms search, all these are being tested and listed to be fixed / improved all at once. This, of course, takes time, specially since there are other suggestions for other areas too to be evaluated as well.

Your patience will be much appreciated.

Lucia

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the reply, Lucia Apr 23, 2012

You may not think it fair to say that the staff are indifferent and maybe it isn't, but it was certainly the impression I got from the reply I eventually received from support, after having complained about getting no reply whatsoever for the first couple of days.

I have been using Proz for a number of years now, mostly for the Term Search. Now I see why it is not giving the results it used to, despite the fact that logically there should be more and more terms in it. As far as I am concerned it has been rendered virtually useless.

This feature of making it accent-sensitive seems to have been introduced without any consultation and, if the replies to my post are in any way representative, is only beneficial to a very small percentage of its users.

I am surprised that Proz that, when it first appeared was at the cutting-edge of Internet technology, cannot now resolve a bug or change a feature in its otherwise excellent software.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accent-sensitive term search (Staff: issue acknowledged)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search