https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/2288-what_about_metatexis_why_pay_120_for_the_full_version_when_wordfast_is_free.html

What about MetaTexis? Why pay $120 for the full version when Wordfast is free?
Thread poster: SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Local time: 03:42
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2002

I recently downloaded and installed the CAT-tool Meta Texis on my computer. It seems to be similar to Wordfast - but is it? Why pay $120 for the full version when Wordfast is free? Is MetaTexis better?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-17 09:47 ]

Red Cat Studios
Red Cat Studios
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:42
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Wordfast FULL version free? May 7, 2002

I\'ve been tempted too by the free offer, but then I\'ve realised this was only a (very) light version. Did you find the FULL version free anywhere? That would make the difference with MetaTexis Pro (the one priced @ $120.00, otherwise, the \"light\" one is free as well!).

modilingua
modilingua  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Wordfast IS in a full version for free Jun 23, 2002

There only is a full version of Wordfast. It is 100% free and completely Trados compatible. See http://www.champollion.net for downloading...

Beernarrd (X)
Beernarrd (X)
French to Slovenian
+ ...
being free ... Apr 14, 2003

A copy from champollion:

To use translation memories bigger than 500 TUs or 110 Kbytes, you need to purchase a license.

There are three applicable rates for Wordfast licenses:

The regular rate

for certain countries only, price per license:

170 Euros

The discount rate,

price per license:

50 Euros

The regular rate applies to users who work and/or reside in any of the following countries and their d
... See more
A copy from champollion:

To use translation memories bigger than 500 TUs or 110 Kbytes, you need to purchase a license.

There are three applicable rates for Wordfast licenses:

The regular rate

for certain countries only, price per license:

170 Euros

The discount rate,

price per license:

50 Euros

The regular rate applies to users who work and/or reside in any of the following countries and their dependencies:

America: The USA, Mexico, Canada.

Europe: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Portugal, Spain, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, The United Kingdom.

Asia/Oceania: Australia, Brunei, Hong-Kong, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan.

\"Near East\": Bahrein, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE.

The bulk rate applies for three licenses ordered and paid in one time.

The discount rate applies to users who do not work/reside in any of the countries listed above.
Collapse

Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
A very odd pricing system! Apr 14, 2003

Since we are on the topic, I have not used Wordfast for two reasons: one is that MetaTexis does everything I need it to and is free since I have a platinum Proz membership (and the tech support is really fast and good), the other is that I find the Wordfast pricing system, well, very very bizarre...almost offensive. If I order it from the Marshall Islands, where I spend much of my time it is 50 Euros, if I order it from the US it is 170. What kind of business sense does that make? It isn\'t like... See more
Since we are on the topic, I have not used Wordfast for two reasons: one is that MetaTexis does everything I need it to and is free since I have a platinum Proz membership (and the tech support is really fast and good), the other is that I find the Wordfast pricing system, well, very very bizarre...almost offensive. If I order it from the Marshall Islands, where I spend much of my time it is 50 Euros, if I order it from the US it is 170. What kind of business sense does that make? It isn\'t like I get extra features when I am in the US! What if I live in the inner-city of some American metropolis? Why should I pay over 3 times as much as the guy who has retired to a spacious villa in Tahiti? If this is what they consider good sense, I am very skeptical about their product.Collapse

Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:12
English to Gujarati
+ ...
User-friendly MetaTexis Feb 26, 2009

Yes Jason I totally agree with you, besides the odd pricing policy, I find MetaTexis much more user-friendly than Wordfast. Though, one has to agree that wordfast is faster than MetaTexis.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What about MetaTexis? Why pay $120 for the full version when Wordfast is free?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »