What happened to Word Terms Search? (result all over the map)
Thread poster: Anthony Baldwin

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:30
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2012

Whether using the old proz.com/wts or the new proz.com/search, I'm finding results have drastically deteriorated, in that they've become way too broad.

For instance, I sought, today, "retardatário" in PT/EN, specifying financial terms, and I got every other possible word with "ário".
I got necesário, formulário, bancário, mandatário, etc., etc., ad infinitum, and only one result for "retardatário" which was related to auto-mechanics, having nothing to do with financial terms.

This seems to be the case now for at least a week.

I recall in the past getting relevant results, and mostly ONLY relevant results.
Can we just have results with the word(s) for which we search (and/or within other parameters that we specify), without all the extraneous results, please, as it once was?
The Word Term Search used to be one of my most useful resources, but currently, it is not being very helpful.

Thanks,
Tony

Direct link Reply with quote

Alejandro Cavalitto
Local time: 10:30
SITE STAFF
I could not reproduce the problem you describe Nov 14, 2012

Hello Tony,

I have searched for "retardatário" logged in as myself and as you and received the same list of results each time. Five terms are found, and they seem to be relevant. You can check this list following this link: http://www.proz.com/search/?term=retardatário&from=por&to=eng&bidirectional=1&open_new_window=&folding=&resources[kudoz]=1&resources[kog]=1&resources[gloss]=1&resources[glosspost]=1&resources[wikiwords]=1&es=1

Could you follow that link and let me know if you are seeing a list of five terms? Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:30
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
match whole words only Nov 14, 2012

Well, as you can see, it has "cars & truck" on 3 of the five, and "medical psychology" on another.
I was searching for a financial term.
Ah, the fifth in your results is, however, relevant, yes.
Aside from that, I got a whole page full of the wrong words entirely when I searched.
Perhaps that's because I didn't specify to "match whole words only", but, really, why wouldn't that be default behavior? Matching suffixes and prefixes or other parts of words (beside the root), makes no sense whatsoever.
My results used to be a lot more relevant.
I will try to keep in mind this "match whole words only" and see if that helps in future searches.

[Edited at 2012-11-14 19:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happened to Word Terms Search? (result all over the map)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search