Possibility to quote multiple posts
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:45
Italian to English
Jun 16, 2015

I am curious as to why the forums do not seem to have this feature. In other words, I can click on a button at the end of each post I want to quote from; all their content appears in my post, I can then snip the parts I don't want and add my own reply.

Does anyone else feel this would be a useful feature? Of course it's possible at the moment, but I have to go to each post that interests me, copy and paste.

Or am I missing something?

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
French to English
I hear you, but... Jun 16, 2015

... the good Lord knows there are people who seem to feel that, even when replying to just to a specific point made, the e-n-t-i-r-e post must be quoted. Editing to just quote the pertinent bit(s) seems beyond them. And there are quite a few such individuals on this particular website. Give people the opportunity to quote more than one entire post in a reply, and I fear that some threads would stretch from here to Jupiter, and possibly back again.

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
sigh... Jun 16, 2015

Wise words Mr Bavington. Being the optimistic sort, I hadn't seen it that way.

*pouts and sulks*

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Would lead to abuse Jun 16, 2015

Fiona Peterson wrote:
In other words, I can click on a button at the end of each post I want to quote from; all their content appears in my post, I can then snip the parts I don't want and add my own reply.

I think many people would not snip, leading to even more pollution in the threads. When I want to comment on multiple posts, I simply click the "quote" button along with a shortcut that opens the page in a new tab, and then I copy all my responses to a single post. This isn't a lot more work than it would have been if your feature had been available, because one needs to snip and trim anyway.

Two AutoIt scripts that I wrote come to mind:
* quote%20all%20proz%20posts.zip - This one is intended to turn an entire page of discussion into quotes, but it doesn't work quite correctly, so it probably worked for a while and then I forgot to improve it. I could have another look at it.
* prozthreaddownloader.zip - This one attempts to download an entire thread. I wrote it during the 100-page long threads about native language, and it was useful to download the entire, entire thread for easy reading. Not sure if it still works.

[Edited at 2015-06-16 20:56 GMT]

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I hear you both Jun 17, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:

... the good Lord knows there are people who seem to feel that, even when replying to just to a specific point made, the e-n-t-i-r-e post must be quoted. Editing to just quote the pertinent bit(s) seems beyond them.

Samuel Murray wrote:

I think many people would not snip, leading to even more pollution in the threads.

I hear you both. And I agree. What a pity, though, that a potentially useful feature will probably not be implemented due to sheer laziness or the inability of site users to only include the information that's relevant to the discussion in hand. The dumbing down of the forum. Is this really what we have come to?

(Disregard that last question - it was rhetorical).

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The real reason Jun 17, 2015

Fiona Peterson wrote:
What a pity, though, that a potentially useful feature will probably not be implemented due to sheer laziness or the inability of site users...

Well, no, the real reason why it will not be implemented is because it is ProZ.com's official policy (correct me if I'm wrong) not to update the forum software, ever.

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:45
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Forum software Jun 17, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
Well, no, the real reason why it will not be implemented is because it is ProZ.com's official policy (correct me if I'm wrong) not to update the forum software, ever.

So, maybe that's the reason for Proz not implementing the request, made by a number of members (including me) over the past few years, for the available list of "Recent posts" to be made longer than the current length of approximately two days. Proz has replied to this request by saying that such a change is planned but other activities have greater priority.
Nobody wrote:
I want to be able to quote from several other posts when I make a post.

I've synthesized this quote to show that it's easy to quote from several posts, but using copy and paste, which have already been mentioned. You can invent a non-genuine quote (or quote text from a post somewhere else) by preceeding it with the word "quote" in square brackets, then the name and " wrote:" and terminate the quote with "/quote" in square brackets.
In practice that means to me: If I write a post that quotes another one, the quote must be honest: it must quote the previous post without any distortion except perhaps deleting irrelevant parts of it (but without changing the meaning of the remaining parts).
(I hope this isn't breaking any site rules; it is probably fairly obvious in any case to anybody who has already written a post that quotes all or part of another one.)

Edit: Example of request for more "recent posts":
http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/140276-number_of_topics_shown_on_the_latest_posts_list.html

[Edited at 2015-06-17 15:25 GMT]

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ever??? Jun 17, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

the real reason why it will not be implemented is because it is ProZ.com's official policy (correct me if I'm wrong) not to update the forum software, ever.

Never update the software ever?

I'm sure your post was written in good faith, Samuel, but I find that pretty difficult to swallow. Sounds like Ed Milliband's "set in stone" pledges...

Can you (or site staff) provide a link to this "official policy"? Sorry to insist, but I just don't buy it.

Enrique
Local time: 06:45
SITE STAFF
No such official policy Jun 17, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Fiona Peterson wrote:
What a pity, though, that a potentially useful feature will probably not be implemented due to sheer laziness or the inability of site users...

This is wrong.
ProZ.com has no such official policy.
Regards,
Enrique

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Enrique Jun 17, 2015

Thank you Enrique for taking the time to reply. Since, then, there is no official site policy regarding updating of the site software, I would appreciate hearing ProZ's position on introducing a "quote multiple posts" button.

Enrique
Local time: 06:45
SITE STAFF
Following Samuel's approach Jun 17, 2015

Fiona Peterson wrote:

Thank you Enrique for taking the time to reply. Since, then, there is no official site policy regarding updating of the site software, I would appreciate hearing ProZ's position on introducing a "quote multiple posts" button.

Samuel Murray wrote:
When I want to comment on multiple posts, I simply click the "quote" button along with a shortcut that opens the page in a new tab, and then I copy all my responses to a single post. This isn't a lot more work than it would have been if your feature had been available, because one needs to snip and trim anyway.

Thanks Fiona,

I just quoted you and Samuel following the method suggested by him and it is very simple. I would be concerned about adding additional options that would clutter the interface when a copy-and-paste solution is so simple.

Regards,
Enrique

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Thanks for the correction Jun 17, 2015

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

ProZ.com has no such official policy.

Thanks for the correction. There must be another reason why this will never be implemented, then (-:

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fiona Jun 17, 2015

Fiona Peterson wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
The real reason why it will not be implemented is because it is ProZ.com's official policy (correct me if I'm wrong) not to update the forum software, ever.

I'm sure your post was written in good faith, Samuel, but I find that pretty difficult to swallow.

Sorry, I forgot the smiley.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possibility to quote multiple posts

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search