https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/297154-%22javascript_hell%22_prozcom_profile_link_in_gmail_signature_linking_to_jshellnet.html

"javascript hell" - proz.com profile link in gmail signature linking to jshell.net
Thread poster: Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:34
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 19, 2016

Hello everyone,

I just discovered that the link to my proz.com profile (that I have had in my gmail signature field for years) started to link to a url of fiddle.jshell.net.

The full link (not sure if it hurts to click it - I just wanted to show the intercepted URL) is:
... See more
Hello everyone,

I just discovered that the link to my proz.com profile (that I have had in my gmail signature field for years) started to link to a url of fiddle.jshell.net.

The full link (not sure if it hurts to click it - I just wanted to show the intercepted URL) is:
http://fiddle.jshell.net/PM86Y/1467/show/www.proz.com/translator/787187

Earlier this week I received a reply to one of my mails which included copy of my own mail including signature and I noticed a warning text in bold red inserted in that part of my signature stating that that signature might be impersonating someone else or something along those lines. I put the issue on my list of things to do.

I understand by now that jshell.net must stand for Javascript Hell.

It probablyh started after I installed code to display my Twitter feed and Instagram pics to spruce up my profile page, just a few months ago. This requires you to give your proz.com profile page permission to run javascript when you are installing script and when you view the page. It must be insecure and have allowed for this interception to happen. I removed the Twitter and Instagram content from my profile page (and as precaution also on my website) and the link in my gmail signature goes to the correct page again.

I am curious to know if this has happened to others but I don't have much time to research this now. Looking forward to get some reactions. Thanks.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"javascript hell" - proz.com profile link in gmail signature linking to jshell.net

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »