No support 4 days after support request
Thread poster: Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:42
English to Russian
Mar 11, 2016

Since March 7 I have neither access to my email hosted on Proz server or my account control panel which means I have no communication with my clients and probably missing their job offers. After research I found out that my domain name was blocked. Until now I cannot understand by whom and for what reasons as no explanation was offered. I believe there's no need to explain how bad this is for business. I submitted 2 suppor requests: one on March 7 and another on March 8, after the first one was... See more
Since March 7 I have neither access to my email hosted on Proz server or my account control panel which means I have no communication with my clients and probably missing their job offers. After research I found out that my domain name was blocked. Until now I cannot understand by whom and for what reasons as no explanation was offered. I believe there's no need to explain how bad this is for business. I submitted 2 suppor requests: one on March 7 and another on March 8, after the first one was closed by staff with a laughable excuse of referring it to another staff member who did not answer within 24 hrs, so I re-opened the first one.
This is completely unsatisfactory. And what is annoying me most is that I can't find a way to complain, except submitting new requests for assistance which seem to be a wate of time.
I am in doubt whether it is worthwhile to renew my membership which is expiring in April, as I am under impression that while raising membership fees Proz is lowering its standards. Another example which leads me to think that way is the work of the WEB term search. Last October I submitted a request about its decimated functionality (it does not save settings for full members as promised, and web dictionaliries, such as Multitran have been excluded from search) and was assusred that it had been referred to developers and would be fixed. It just did not happen. I have a set of my regular clients sufficient to generate enough work for me, and the rates offered on Proz are so low that I are not worth a reply. So, I don't wate even time on checking them on the Blueboard.
It would be interesting to see how soon Support will reply to my support request.
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:42
English to German
+ ...
Give it another try Mar 11, 2016

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

It would be interesting to see how soon Support will reply to my support request.

Hi Alexey,

I would give it another try. I never had that kind of experience. It might take longer if you submit a support ticket on the weekend, but maybe your request didn't get through. But I thought someone would have contacted you by now because of your forum post.

Bernhard

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
11/12 years of membership Mar 12, 2016

Maybe after such a long time you know someone from side staff or a monitor who could help you.

Alexey Ivanov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for YOUR support, Bernhard. Mar 12, 2016

Yes, now I got an explanation - 5 days after inital support request! Why I am not surprized?
I was told that the blocking was imposed because I had failed to update my personal data with the domain name registrar required to be done anually. That's a lot of B.S. Why should I update it, if there's nothing new about me or my contact data?

That's how it was explained to me:
QUOTE A couple years ago, the organization responsible for overseeing domain name registration, ICA
... See more
Yes, now I got an explanation - 5 days after inital support request! Why I am not surprized?
I was told that the blocking was imposed because I had failed to update my personal data with the domain name registrar required to be done anually. That's a lot of B.S. Why should I update it, if there's nothing new about me or my contact data?

That's how it was explained to me:
QUOTE A couple years ago, the organization responsible for overseeing domain name registration, ICANN, instituted a new (and extremely controversial) policy that all domains must have their WHOIS contact data updated at least annually, UNQUOTE

So, they concede it is controversial, but it doesn't help. Most likely I have missed an email with a reminder, so, technically, it is my fault, but I believe Proz should give a warning about imminent blocking with big red caption and a lot of exclamation marks, so that nobody will miss it,

A lesson from my experience to all colleagues: you'd better check the expiry date for your domain and watch out for letters about updating your contact data, otherwise, they will jerk the carpet from under your feet.

Best regards,

Alex
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Danik Mar 13, 2016

I think the problem will be solved on Monday as I got a full explanation and made the necassary corrections.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Same thing happening to me Apr 8, 2016

Alexey, was your problem solved in the end? I am in exactly the same situation. I have had no access to my ProZ-hosted webmail or control panel since Wednesday. I submitted a support ticket, and received an initial reply telling me it would be referred to another member of staff who I know was online yesterday. I have heard nothing since, even though I sent a reminder yesterday. I don't believe I have received any reminders to update my personal details with my domain name registrar.

Alexey Ivanov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I resolved it. Apr 8, 2016

The problem was caused by domain name suspension. For you to understand the problem and the solution, here's the link to my support ticket with my questions and the answers I received; http://www.proz.com/ticket/487180
In a nutshell: your domain name was suspended because they had not received a confirmation of your details which is required annually. To solve it go to Your Profile>Manage My Doma
... See more
The problem was caused by domain name suspension. For you to understand the problem and the solution, here's the link to my support ticket with my questions and the answers I received; http://www.proz.com/ticket/487180
In a nutshell: your domain name was suspended because they had not received a confirmation of your details which is required annually. To solve it go to Your Profile>Manage My Domain and if your domain name is shown as locked, change it to "unlock" and update your details. IMPORTANT: enter/confirm your domain name contact details BUT! give a different email address from your PROZ email, e.g. a gmailaddress, and, then, within 24 hrs you willl receive an email to this email address requesting you to update your domain WHOIS data. After you do this your domain name will be unlocked.
I hope it will help you to solve your problem.
A note on the side: I am still apalled at the time required to get help from support. To me it means deterioration of PROZ. Regrettable!
Collapse

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Can't find "Manage My Domain" Apr 8, 2016

Thanks for your prompt reply, Alexey. I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem. Many thanks for your advice, but unfortunately I cannot access the link to your support ticket (I guess it's private between you and ProZ), and I can't find "Manage My Domain" on the ProZ website. How do I find it? I went into "My Hosting" at http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/info but it doesn't seem to be there. I d... See more
Thanks for your prompt reply, Alexey. I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem. Many thanks for your advice, but unfortunately I cannot access the link to your support ticket (I guess it's private between you and ProZ), and I can't find "Manage My Domain" on the ProZ website. How do I find it? I went into "My Hosting" at http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/info but it doesn't seem to be there. I don't know where "Your Profile" is, I can only find "My profile" and there is no "Manage My Domain" option.Collapse

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:42
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
My old good Hotmail Apr 8, 2016

I can just imagine the frustration and disappointment you are experiencing...
Actually, a fear of such eventualities keep me faithful to old good Hotmail - at least, my communication is never interrupted. So many harsh words about generic emails have been said here on boards but no deceptions so far (knocking on the wood ).

Alexey Ivanov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
I can send you instructions with screenshots Apr 8, 2016

I was sgoing to insert the screenshots here, but I don't know how to do it. Please give me you working email address.

Alexey Ivanov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Can't agree more. Apr 8, 2016

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

So many harsh words about generic emails have been said here on boards but no deceptions so far (knocking on the wood ).

That, and the dwindling usefulness of Proz makes me think about abandoning Proz with its slow support and the unreliable mail.

Alexey Ivanov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Peter, write to my gmail address Apr 8, 2016

Peter Shortall wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply, Alexey. I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem. Many thanks for your advice, but unfortunately I cannot access the link to your support ticket (I guess it's private between you and ProZ), and I can't find "Manage My Domain" on the ProZ website. How do I find it? I went into "My Hosting" at http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/info but it doesn't seem to be there. I don't know where "Your Profile" is, I can only find "My profile" and there is no "Manage My Domain" option.

[email protected]

and I will send you step by step instructions on screenshots.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:42
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My domain name is "locked" Apr 9, 2016

but it says "When locking is enabled for a domain, any requests to transfer the domain to another registrar or hosting company will automatically fail. This can be used to prevent fraudulent transfers of the domain, while locking is enabled. Should you ever want to transfer the domain, or modify nameservers based on the domain, domain locking must first be disabled, before the relevant action is performed."

So, I don't think "locked" means that you need to update the WHOIS data. Aft
... See more
but it says "When locking is enabled for a domain, any requests to transfer the domain to another registrar or hosting company will automatically fail. This can be used to prevent fraudulent transfers of the domain, while locking is enabled. Should you ever want to transfer the domain, or modify nameservers based on the domain, domain locking must first be disabled, before the relevant action is performed."

So, I don't think "locked" means that you need to update the WHOIS data. After WAITING REQUEST: it says NONE. How can we tell if we need to update the information?
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Here's what you should do Apr 9, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

So, I don't think "locked" means that you need to update the WHOIS data. After WAITING REQUEST: it says NONE. How can we tell if we need to update the information?

You need to do two things: 1. update your WHOIS data. Please note that updating your WHOIS data by changing the email address IS NOT a transfer of your domain, and 2. unlock your domain.

1. Click in turn on each of the 2 tabs Organization and Admin and in the email address text box give an email address different from your PROZ email address. Changing the email address IS NOT a transfer of your domain. The admin and org email address is simply an address for sending you mail by the Domain Name Provider. It is imperative it should be different from your PROZ address just for such cases, when unexpectedly your domain name is locked. In my case it was locked because I had not confirmed my WHOIS data because I simply had not received the warning about locking. Why this happened? Because a few months ago I changed my PROZ address without changing it in the Manage My Domain window. I did not know it was required. As it was wxplained to me by PROZ Support the Domain Names Admin Authority a year or two ago introduced a new rule requiring name owners to confirm annually their WHOIS data. They send a warning about an imminent locking, but you may miss it, e.g. if you marked all mail from PROZ to go to the spam folder, or recently changed your PROZ email address.
2. Click on the radio button "Disable" to disable locking.

Within 24 hrs you will receive a request for confirming/updating your WHOIS data from the Domain Name Provider which will be sent to the new address you entered in the Admin and Organization tabs. You reply to the request and wuthin the next 24 hrs the lock shall be lifted.

That's how I did it.
Best regards,
Alex

Alexey Ivanov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Peter Apr 9, 2016

Peter Shortall wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply, Alexey. I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem. Many thanks for your advice, but unfortunately I cannot access the link to your support ticket (I guess it's private between you and ProZ), and I can't find "Manage My Domain" on the ProZ website. How do I find it? I went into "My Hosting" at http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/info but it doesn't seem to be there. I don't know where "Your Profile" is, I can only find "My profile" and there is no "Manage My Domain" option.

Mouse over your profile name in the top right side of the PROZ main window and click on "My Hosting" in the pop-up window. In the box with the white back ground titled " My Proz.com Account" you will see "manage My Domains" at the botton of the list.

After that follow my instruction to LegalTransform.

IHTH.

Best regards,

Alex

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No support 4 days after support request

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »