"Wide screen" when reference links are too long (over 80 characters)
Thread poster: Vicky Papaprodromou
Vicky Papaprodromou
Vicky Papaprodromou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:20
Member (2004)
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 27, 2005

Hello everybody.

The Greek Kudoz community has been facing the following problem over the last months:

Whenever a long reference link (exceeding a minimum of approximately 80 characters) appears in a Kudoz answer or a comment to the answer, the whole page widens so much that we cannot view it correctly and we have to scroll it from right to left and vice versa. This is very tiring, especially when there are more than 1 answers or if the first answer is rather long.
... See more
Hello everybody.

The Greek Kudoz community has been facing the following problem over the last months:

Whenever a long reference link (exceeding a minimum of approximately 80 characters) appears in a Kudoz answer or a comment to the answer, the whole page widens so much that we cannot view it correctly and we have to scroll it from right to left and vice versa. This is very tiring, especially when there are more than 1 answers or if the first answer is rather long.

Up to now, this problem has been reported by users of most of the Internet browsers, namely Inrernet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla Firefox.

We have been dealing with the issue in the Greek forum for the last two days but haven't been able to find an answer acceptable for everyone.

So can you please help us? The Greek community will owe it to you.

All the best and many thanks in advance,

Vicky

[Edited at 2005-04-27 07:10]
Collapse

Adam Lankamer
Adam Lankamer  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:20
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Make them tiny !!! Apr 27, 2005

www.tinyurl.com

Vicky Papaprodromou
Greece
Member (2004)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tiny URL Apr 27, 2005

Hello Adam.

Thanks for your answer.

Well, this had also been our initial suggestion. However, some members of the Greek community complained that www.tinyurl.com is somehow dangerous, i.e. tracking user's system, risk of adware - though some others (me for example) never faced such a problem. Are you using TinyURL and have you ever faced any similar danger with it?

All the be
... See more
Hello Adam.

Thanks for your answer.

Well, this had also been our initial suggestion. However, some members of the Greek community complained that www.tinyurl.com is somehow dangerous, i.e. tracking user's system, risk of adware - though some others (me for example) never faced such a problem. Are you using TinyURL and have you ever faced any similar danger with it?

All the best,

Vicky
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
is tinyurl reliable and safe? Apr 27, 2005

Vicky Papaprodromou wrote:
However, some members of the Greek community complained that www.tinyurl.com is somehow dangerous

Indeed some ProZ members have expressed their concern about the safety and reliability of tinyurl. Some of the possible problems involved are described here: http://www.businessknowhow.com/internet/miniurl.htm

I've used tinyurl a couple of times, and as far as I know I haven't had any problems. I repeat, "as far as I know". But then sometimes you just don't know until it's too late. So I understand that people may have legitimate concerns.

Is there another solution for those of us who use Netscape/Mozilla, Opera, and other browsers where links aren't wrapped to the next line but go on and on and make reading somewhat difficult?

What do other ProZians do in other SCs? Has the issue been raised regarding long URLs in KudoZ, and if yes, how have you solved it?

Maria

[Edited at 2005-04-27 10:03]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:20
German to English
+ ...
Forced wrap Apr 27, 2005

This topic was previously brought to light in:

http://www.proz.com/topic/25900

If it's still not resolved perhaps re-submit it to Jason?

There might be something to be done using the html "span" tags from what I've read.

If the poster inserted a soft hyphen or zero-width space in the url it would probably solve the problem aesthetically. I don't think it
... See more
This topic was previously brought to light in:

http://www.proz.com/topic/25900

If it's still not resolved perhaps re-submit it to Jason?

There might be something to be done using the html "span" tags from what I've read.

If the poster inserted a soft hyphen or zero-width space in the url it would probably solve the problem aesthetically. I don't think it would then function properly as a hyperlink.

Otherwise Magda's clickable link solution.

[Edited at 2005-04-27 22:46]
Collapse

Vicky Papaprodromou
Greece
Member (2004)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forced Wrap. Apr 27, 2005

Hi Robert.

I am afraid the problem is still existing. You can have a look at:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1012882 for instance.

I suppose we should ask Jason about it.

All the best,

Vicky

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Clickable link Apr 27, 2005

If you use the clickable link method cited by Magda and described at:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/faq

under "Using BB Code", the web-reference at:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/863783

can become:

Russian link

and yours, which I'm not too sure is working:

BMW Motorrad

[Edited at 2005-04-27 23:27]
Collapse

Elena Petelos
Elena Petelos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Greek
+ ...
:-) Apr 27, 2005

Robert Tucker wrote:

If you use the clickable link method cited by Magda and described at:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/faq

under "Using BB Code", the web-reference at:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/863783

can become:

Russian link

and yours, which I'm not too sure is working:

BMW Motorrad

[Edited at 2005-04-27 23:27]

Dear Robert,

"scripting it" is quite a SUPER idea!!

cheers for Robert motorad

Cheers, but unfortunately, it does not seem to work in the space provided for answering to comments, or in the main body of an answer. Possibly to do with whether the space provided is html enabled or not.

[Edited at 2005-04-28 02:05]

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 04:20
SITE STAFF
Now truncating display of long URLs in KudoZ Apr 28, 2005

Long URLs in KudoZ should now be shown truncated to 60 characters, although clicking on the link will still take you to the full URL. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

Vicky Papaprodromou
Greece
Member (2004)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jason Apr 28, 2005

Hi Jason.

It seems to work perfectly well.

Thank you so much for everything.

All the best,

Vicky

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Thank you Jason... Apr 28, 2005

Such a simple solution to a problem that was tormenting us for ages... KudoZ to you...

Kind regards
Nadia Fahmi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Wide screen" when reference links are too long (over 80 characters)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »