https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/319244-what_is_the_origin_of_%22direct_link%22_entries_in_my_profile_visitors_page.html

What is the origin of "direct link" entries in my Profile Visitors page?
Thread poster: Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:21
German to English
+ ...
Oct 4, 2017

Today I discovered an interesting thing on my ProZ Visits page:
6:23am Not Logged In 142.4.217.200 Direct Link/Unknown Profile 1 N/A
6:20am Not Logged In 89.108.88.140 Direct Link/Unknown Profile 1 N/A
6:16am Not Logged In 46.235.42.107 Direct Link/Unknown Profile 1 N/A

As I never, ever send any unsolicited applications/CV/resume, etc., to anybody, let alone to Russia-based entities (one of the IPP addresses), I wonder what is t
... See more
Today I discovered an interesting thing on my ProZ Visits page:
6:23am Not Logged In 142.4.217.200 Direct Link/Unknown Profile 1 N/A
6:20am Not Logged In 89.108.88.140 Direct Link/Unknown Profile 1 N/A
6:16am Not Logged In 46.235.42.107 Direct Link/Unknown Profile 1 N/A

As I never, ever send any unsolicited applications/CV/resume, etc., to anybody, let alone to Russia-based entities (one of the IPP addresses), I wonder what is the origin of these "direct links".

[Edited at 2017-10-04 07:25 GMT]
Collapse

Juno Bos
Juno Bos  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:21
Member (2011)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Bots or Crawlers Oct 4, 2017

Seems like Bots/Crawlers to me. Doesn't mean you have to give out direct links to your page to anyone to get these type of visitors and it doesn't mean the visits were even from like The Russian Federation (in your case) or a "real" person.

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:21
Spanish to French
+ ...
I've had the same thingf Oct 4, 2017

maybe Proz can tell us a bit more about this.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 03:21
SITE STAFF
The visitor came to your profile directly, or the previous page they were on could not be determined Oct 4, 2017

Hi all,

If a visitor came to your profile directly, or the previous page they were on could not be determined, it will read "Direct Link/Unknown" in the "Came from" column. It is nothing to worry about, though it can be difficult at times to guess who the visitor might have been in these cases.

Maija, having corresponded with you via email, I know you have your ProZ.com profile as part of your signature, so a visit could occur any time someone clicks on that link from
... See more
Hi all,

If a visitor came to your profile directly, or the previous page they were on could not be determined, it will read "Direct Link/Unknown" in the "Came from" column. It is nothing to worry about, though it can be difficult at times to guess who the visitor might have been in these cases.

Maija, having corresponded with you via email, I know you have your ProZ.com profile as part of your signature, so a visit could occur any time someone clicks on that link from an email they have received from you, for example. I checked your recent visitors, and at least one appears to have come to your profile through a means like that, one appears to have been related to a directory search, and the others appear to have been bots, as Juno suggested.

I hope this helps.

Jared
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:21
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jared Oct 4, 2017

Thanks for the explanation. I know for sure that I have never sent any e-mails to these three visitors which visited my profile simultaneously (I feel flabbergasted by this fact). If it's nothing dangerous, let it be.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the origin of "direct link" entries in my Profile Visitors page?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »