Problems with use of diacritics in Term Search
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2005

when I try to enter the word 'zugehörig' in the ProZ.com Term Search, the ö comes out in weird numbers and signs so the term is not accessed. If I take off the umlaut and just use an 'o', this just gives me 000 results since that changes the word completely. Up to now, things have been working just fine.
A bug?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-29 13:14]

[Edited at 2005-09-29 13:32]

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 22:40
English to German
Uhm... Sep 29, 2005

writeaway wrote:

when I try to enter this in the ProZ.com Term Search, the ö comes out in weird numbers and signs so the term is not accessed. If I take off the umlaut and just use an 'o', this just gives me 000 results since that changes the word completely. Up to now, things have been working just fine.
A bug?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-29 13:14]

I'm sure the moderator who changed the topic title had nothing but the best of intentions, and in fact, the title is now a lot clearer. The problem is, that writeaway's question is now very hard to understand, since the word in question is missing from the post...

The original title was "dazugehörig".

To answer writeaway's query - I have no problem whatsoever when searching for dazugehörig. If your problems was not simply temporary and the search still doesn't work, try searching for "dazugeh" and unchecking the box "whole words only".

HTH

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
maybe it's your encoding Sep 29, 2005

I just tried it and it worked fine. Probably has to do with the encoding your browser is using (the modern version of the Tower of Babel and explanation for everyhing that doesn't work right or goes bump in the night...)

FWIW, I'm using Opera with the encoding set to 'Autodetect' (which means I don't have a clue what encoding it uses to generate text) and I produce umlaut characters by typing Shift-" ahead of the character on a Windows XP system.

[Edited at 2005-09-29 17:29]

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It works on my end. Sep 29, 2005

Just thought I'd mention that (I use IE and never mess with the encoding stuff).

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Encoding?? Sep 29, 2005

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

Just thought I'd mention that (I use IE and never mess with the encoding stuff).

I use Netscape and just click. Encoding?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with use of diacritics in Term Search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »