Pages update the Encoding to Unicode each time I open a page
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 14:26
German to Romanian
+ ...
Oct 4, 2005

I have noticed recently (maybe a couple of days) that the encoding is automatically changed to Unicode each time I open a ProZ page, even after I set it manually to Central European.
This is really annoying for me, as with a Unicode encoding most other pages on Proz are complete gibberish (especially in German).
I have been away for a few weeks and I am not up to date with recent developments, but I hope this is not definitive. It is very annoying to change the encoding on each and every page I am visiting.

Direct link Reply with quote

David Shen  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
I am wondering too. What happened to the encoding! Oct 4, 2005

I am experiencing the same difficulty here. Starting yesterday (October 2) I can not read my forum in Chinese any more. I have not deleted any fonts in my computer, but even when I set the view to viewing Asian fonts, it still comes out weird. Fellow Chinese translators, are you experiencing the same? Help!

David

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Same here Oct 4, 2005

Hi Elvira,

I have noticed this switching to Unicode this morning. I thought I had to look for the problem in my browser (Firefox) settings, as it does happen with all new tabs I open and affects not only ProZ.com pages, but I see I am not the only one.

As active encodings I had both Unicode and Western ISO 8859-1 (no automatically switching before this morning), so I deactivated Unicode, but the switching is still there.

I haven't closed my browser after deactivating Unicode... normally not necessary, but this is the very last thing I can think of / try.

Giuliana

P.S. Just tried, no way.. Unicode, even if the encoding is deactivated...

[Edited at 2005-10-04 05:27]

Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:26
English to Romanian
Migration to Unicode Oct 4, 2005

Maybe this is what happened:

"Our plan is to migrate to unicode in the fall. In the meantime, we ask that you bear with the inconvenience of our system."

http://www.proz.com/faq/localization#local_charsets

In the ProZ.com FAQ, Localization/Character sets.

The fall has come...

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:26
SITE FOUNDER
An error - now fixed Oct 4, 2005

Encoding was indeed mistakely being set to Unicode. I have corrected it.

I apologize for the trouble caused.

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the prompt fix :) Oct 4, 2005

it's definitely a lot better now I have my pages back.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:26
SITE FOUNDER
Content entered during UTF-8 period likely to be UTF-8 Oct 4, 2005

Note that any content entered during the period of UTF-8 encoding is likely to be UTF-8. You may need to switch encodings to view some KudoZ/jobs/forum posts properly.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Henry Oct 4, 2005

Henry wrote:

Note that any content entered during the period of UTF-8 encoding is likely to be UTF-8. You may need to switch encodings to view some KudoZ/jobs/forum posts properly.

What about GlossPost material entered during that period? The link library is rather longer-term than KudoZ, Jobs or Forum postings. And I've observed they're rather badly-affected.

Paul Hirsh  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Simplified Chinese: have tried everything on the drop-down encoding menu Dec 3, 2005

Henry wrote:

Dear Henry

Trying to read Simplified Chinese, have tried everything on the drop-down coding menu (HZ, Unicode UTF8, GB18030, GBK, ISO 2022-CN, GB 2312) and just get gibberish. Maybe my browsers (firefox and IE) dont have all the code and are just pretending. Could you set up a simple test page with the same passage in each coding system, so we can see where the problem lies?

best
Paul Hirsh

Malvina Bernard
Local time: 13:26
English to French
Unable to read Cyrillic script Dec 3, 2005

Hi,

I am unable to read any posts in cyrillic script and this is really inconvenient. I have no problem with internet explorer, however I have had to set the encoding to cyrillic and this causes problems with other scripts such as French.
I've tried everything with firefox and Russian is invariably coming up as a series of small losanges!
Could you please help me sort this out, as firefox is my usual browser.

Thanks,
Malvina

John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
I just tried that and it made things worse, while not solving the problem. Dec 3, 2005

Maria Diaconu wrote:

Maybe this is what happened:

"Our plan is to migrate to unicode in the fall. In the meantime, we ask that you bear with the inconvenience of our system."

http://www.proz.com/faq/localization#local_charsets

In the ProZ.com FAQ, Localization/Character sets.

The fall has come...

Stefan Savov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 15:26
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
impossible to read/post Cyrillic Dec 14, 2005

i hate to make people guess what i'm posting. after all, we're here to make it easier on people, not playing mind games with them. please allow me to make the following separation - we're the translators, and there are the support staff. let all of us do their job and concentrate on it. it's not my job to change the character encoding each and every time i open the site. my job is to find the best solution for the question asked. okay?
the technical difficulties are quite detrimental to this otherwise great site. please solve them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pages update the Encoding to Unicode each time I open a page

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search