Accents on Proz...One moment they display, the next, it's all gibberish
Thread poster: Cidália Martins
Cidália Martins
English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2005

I've noticed a weird thing happening with this site. Sometimes all the accents people place on their words show up just fine and other times, they are completely garbled (weird symbols, etc.)

Is anybody else noticing this? I've tried to add Portuguese to my profile page as well as add the accent to my name and it's frustrating when at times it ends up looking awful.

Direct link Reply with quote

Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:49
Swedish to English
+ ...
Encoding Oct 10, 2005

Check the encoding on your browser when this happens (view - encoding - and then whichever one is suitable for the language you want to read).

I've had this problem moving between Greek pages and then back to Swedish, but that's always fixed it!

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:49
German to English
+ ...
I have noticed this Oct 11, 2005

within a single Kudoz question. The term in the header looks fine, but in the text below, the accented letters are garbled. And I don't touch the encoding.

Cidália Martins
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Oct 12, 2005

Clare Barnes wrote:

Check the encoding on your browser when this happens (view - encoding - and then whichever one is suitable for the language you want to read).

I've had this problem moving between Greek pages and then back to Swedish, but that's always fixed it!

It worked! Still, it makes me wonder, was my browser switching encoding all by itself before? Weird. Oh well.

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:49
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
problem fixed Nov 13, 2005

Hi Cidália,

Same happened to me at about the same time. A few other colleagues also complained about it. Accents were on and off. Now it`s fixed. Probably just a temporary bug at Proz. Not your fault, neither your browser`s.
Relax, your PC and you are healthy.
WL

[Edited at 2005-11-13 10:57]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accents on Proz...One moment they display, the next, it's all gibberish

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search