Unusual visitors to ProZ.com profile
Thread poster: Todd Field
Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:19
Portuguese to English
Oct 28, 2005

In looking at the "visitors" tab of my ProZ.com profile, I have noticed a strange trend from a specific subset of visitors. They all share the following traits:

Number of Visits = over 20 per day, usually around 25
Viewer Type = not logged in
Came From = direct link/unknown
IP Address = generally starts with 68 or 65
... See more
In looking at the "visitors" tab of my ProZ.com profile, I have noticed a strange trend from a specific subset of visitors. They all share the following traits:

Viewer Type = not logged in
Came From = direct link/unknown
IP Address = generally starts with 68 or 65 and is always impossible to identify at www.geobytes.com/IpLocator

Can anyone explain this? It seems particularly odd. Could it be associated with scammers prowling around for contact information through ProZ.com profiles? Or could it be caused by some sort of internal ProZ.com technical routine?

Any insights would be much appreciated... I am really curious.

Thanks,

Todd
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:19
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I would suspect them to be crawlers Oct 28, 2005

of various search engines' (Google etc.).
Please try to look who they are using

http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp

Geobites too often can not resolve IP address (yours too, as a matter of fact ).

Uldis

Todd Field wrote:
Any insights would be much appreciated... I am really curious.

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:19
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
STrange visitors Oct 28, 2005

Yes, I was wondering too.
But most of the time it is a crawler from Google (California Mountview) or Yahoo.
Check it out with IP WHOis lookup
Just enter the IP
http://www.dnsstuff.com/
Kind regards
Steffi

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:19
SITE FOUNDER
Yahoo in your case, Todd Oct 28, 2005

I checked a few of the IPs in your visitor tab, Todd, and they were Yahoo -- arriving at your profile page after indexing a KudoZ question with an answer or peer comment entered by you. (As a side note, this shows one of the ways that answering KudoZ questions helps to promote your profile.)

I am not sure why Yahoo's crawler isn't smart enough to know that it visited your profile so many times already. But the indexing is probably a good thing for you.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
One advantage your get from your Platinum Membership Oct 28, 2005

Todd Field wrote:
Todd

Hi Todd,
Only 25 times? (Just kidding) How about 160 times within 2 days (from one single IP address?)

As a Platinum member, you get higher priority for getting more visibility from Google

Enjoy your weekend.

Monika

P.S. BTW Todd, we have moved from Colorado to the greater Washington D.C. area and that is why that powwow I wanted to do last year, never took place... However, I will be back in Colorado and maybe we will meet then

[Edited at 2005-10-28 17:38]

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:19
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Me too! Oct 28, 2005

Hi Todd, I get this kind of insistent visitors, too (which I don’t like). In fact I’ve often thought of posting the problem in a forum as you did. Untraceable IP’s visiting dozens of times in a single month! Mine usually start with 68, too. I don't know why but it scares me a little.

Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very useful information – thanks Oct 28, 2005

Great information and interesting insights. Makes perfect sense now. Many thanks to everyone for your input!

I knew there had to be a reasonable explanation for this... as well as colleagues who are more familiar than I am with the nuances of the Internet.

Thanks again,

Todd

P.S. Monika: Do let me and Monica know if you ever do come back to Colorado. You are always welcome for some homemade Mexican food!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unusual visitors to ProZ.com profile

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »