Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:31
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 20, 2006

Twice this morning I have posted an entry in the KudoZ Open Glossary. On both occasions, this has changed my encoding from my usual Cyrillic Windows 1251 to Unicode UTF-8, and I have had to change it back myself. This has not happened before.

8.40 a.m. It has just happened again, this time simply on posting an agree to a KudoZ answer.

[Edited at 2006-01-20 08:41]

10.55 a.m. It now happens every time I post a comment to an answer on a KudoZ page.

[Edited at 2006-01-20 10:55]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
Member (2003)
German to French
Same here Jan 20, 2006

Hi Jack, you're not alone

The same happens here since yesterday every time I post a peer comment or or a kudoz answer, or a post in a forum... then it gets back to normal when I switch to a new page.

Sylvain

Jason Grimes
Local time: 01:31
SITE STAFF
Can you send me a screenshot? Jan 20, 2006

Hi Jack and Sylvain,

To help me troubleshoot this problem, would you please forward to support@proz.com a screenshot of a page showing this problem, along with a brief description of the actions you took to cause that page to display? Please also include something like "Attention: Jason" in the subject line of your message.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Request for clarification Jan 20, 2006

When you say posting changes your encoding to Unicode, do you mean that (1) the character encoding of the text you posted is changed to Unicode, or (2) the character encoding configuration in your browser is automatically changed to Unicode?

Thanks for the clarification.

Best regards,

Jason

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
2) Jan 20, 2006

Hi Jason,

I send you a screenshot in one minute, but the answer is 2.

Sylvain

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Jason: Yes, it is 2. Jan 20, 2006

Just confirming what Sylvain told you.

Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
How widespread is this problem? Jan 20, 2006

Thank you both, Jack and Sylvain, for forwarding your screenshots and working with me to help resolve this problem.

Meanwhile, I would like to learn how widespread this problem is. Is anyone else also experiencing a problem with their browser character encoding automatically changing after a form is submitted?

Thanks again,

Jason

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This happens to me too Jan 20, 2006

When I answer a KudoZ in Polish, I switch the keyboard in my german Windows XP to Polish (214) and when I write, I can see the polish characters displaying properly. After I submit the form, the black text in KudoZ title (the answer itself) shows the PL-characters, but the other text doesn´t.

This is the problem I tried to explain to you on the phone.

Best
Jerzy

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Test Jan 20, 2006

Please ignore this, just doing a test requested by Jason.
Russian test раз, два, три, четыре, пять.
This Russian is only readable if the encoding is Unicode.

[Edited at 2006-01-20 20:33]

Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Jerzy, do you still experience this problem as of today? Jan 20, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

When I answer a KudoZ in Polish, I switch the keyboard in my german Windows XP to Polish (214) and when I write, I can see the polish characters displaying properly. After I submit the form, the black text in KudoZ title (the answer itself) shows the PL-characters, but the other text doesn´t.

This is the problem I tried to explain to you on the phone.

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for your comments.

The way I understood your issue when we spoke was that some KudoZ data was displaying incorrectly on the page, even though your browser was configured to use the correct character set.

I think the problem Jack and Sylvain are describing is a little different; the encoding configuration of their browser is changing automatically. When they change it back, the page displays correctly.

After talking with you yesterday I made a change to the way character encoding is handled in KudoZ that should have resolved your issue (if I understood it correctly). As of today do you still experience the problem you describe?

Thanks,

Jason

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
As for KudoZ 1234191 the problem does not exist anymore Jan 20, 2006

But if you look at 1231650, then the red links to both other answers are displayed wrong - if I change the browsers coding do Windows CE 1250 everything goes ok.

At 1229829 the characters do not display correctly, I need to switch the browser.

At 1232501 the effect is different. I placed an explanation twice. The first block is now displayed correctly, the second one has garbaged characters. After I submitted the answer the first block was howeveer displayed weird, as I saw codes similar to &...;, I mean these are Unicode.

And it used to happen, that as I wrote, the characters appeared corectly, but after submitting the answer they got weird. Changing the coding in the browser (usually to Windows CE 1250) helped.

HTH
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Posting on KudoZ pages changes encoding to Unicode

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search