Trados and font corruption - a bit different
Thread poster: Nulli

Nulli
Local time: 04:33
English to German
Aug 28, 2002

I know the subject of font corruptions with Word and Trados Workbench has been discussed several times, but I could not find information on this particular problem.

I started a translation in Word with a blank TM. At some point the font (text only, New Courier) was changed to Times New Roman. Strange, but should not be a problem, because the file will be converted back to xml later. But suddenly the font changed to SimSun, which is not displayed properly; a German umlaut *plus* the next character appear as a small square. This happens when I close a translation unit, so I don\'t even realize it, only when this translated segment comes up from the TM later.

Now I\'m just wondering where this SimSun comes from? The original docs don\'t contain this font, and I started with a blank TM...


When I translate a segment, it looks okay. I close it - still okay, just that the carriage return at the end is now SimSun. I open that very segment again and get the message \"TM contains different target segment\". When I insert the segment from the TM, the font is corrupt (it looks okay in the Trados window). When I save the segment (again) into the TM, I will still get SimSun when the segment comes up the next time.


Has anyone ever had this problem? How can I solve it? Currently I am just applying the correct font with this little broom from the tool bar (copy format?).


I\'m sorry if this sounds confusing, I hope you understand what I\'m trying to say...


Many thanks for reading this




 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:33
English to German
+ ...
Check the formatting Aug 28, 2002

I often get a problem with documents created by people who don\'t know how Word formatting works.


Let\'s say they want a document formatted in Arial 11pt. But the default normal.dot template often has Times New Roman 10pt as the font for the \"Standard\" formatting template (\"Formatvorlage\" in the German Word version, as opposed to \"Dokumentvorlage\", which holds all formatting templates).


What do they do? They manually format the text to Arial 11pt, but leave the \"Standard\" font unchanged. What Workbench does when placing the translated segment back into the document is the apply that format. No error, just bad formatting, really...


I don\'t know if that\'s the solution to your problem, but it\'s worth checking. Place the cursor into a segment that\'s giving you headaches, check which formatting template has been used, and then verify the font settings for that template.


 

Nulli
Local time: 04:33
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ralf, but... Aug 29, 2002

... for once, this does not seem to be the problem. I checked the standard format in the original docs, it is not set to SimSun.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and font corruption - a bit different

Advanced search






SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search