Thread poster: Michelle Welchons
Michelle Welchons
Michelle Welchons
United States
Local time: 06:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 24, 2006

For some reason, no ProZ website will open from my home computer, but will open at any internet cafe in the city! What do I need to do/stop doing?

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Dumb question? May 24, 2006

Have you tried deleting your cookies? That might solve the problem. Also check your security settings if you're using IE. If that doesn't work, your ISP provider might be blocking the ProZ's address. Check out this thread http://www.proz.com/topic/47285

Good luck.

Michelle Welchons
Michelle Welchons
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forums are for questions May 25, 2006

I'm sorry, why is this a dumb question? This page is for translators who need help with something. Even the tech support guy couldn't figure it out. Thanks for your suggestions, though. They were his first suggestions as well.

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:17
English to French
+ ...
No dumb question May 25, 2006

Your question is not dumb.

Sorry I don't have any advice on this one but I hope you manage to fix this computer problem very soon.

Bon courage!

Michelle Welchons
Michelle Welchons
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 25, 2006

Mitsuko,

Thanks for your support! .. No stupid questions, just stupid people, haha. (That's obviously a joke!).

Best wishes to you!
Merci,
Michelle

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
You misunderstood me May 25, 2006

I was being sarcastic and the dumb question I was referring to was my question about the cookies (Have you tried deleting your cookies?), not yours. Most people--including myself, always forget to delete the cookies and that may cause IE to behave in strange ways.

Sorry if I offended you, you misunderstood me, I would never call anyone dumb for asking a question

Regards,
Claudia

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:17
English to German
+ ...
More details? May 25, 2006

Hi Michelle,
Michelle Welchons wrote:

For some reason, no ProZ website will open from my home computer, but will open at any internet cafe in the city! What do I need to do/stop doing?

Almost impossible to answer without knowing
- your operating system and browser;
- the precise nature of the problem (error messages if any, browser behaviour, etc.).

Can you please provide some more details?

Best regards,
Ralf

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Come, come... May 25, 2006

Not for half a second did I think that Claudia was referring to Michelle.

Some faith in your fellow human beings!
Pawel Skalinski

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:17
English to French
+ ...
All my apologies, Claudia! May 25, 2006

PAS wrote:

Some faith in your fellow human beings!
Pawel Skalinski

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Firewall? May 25, 2006

Do you have a software firewall? I remember that once my firewall software (it was Sygate at that time, I think), was so active in protecting me that it shut me out of most of the Internet...

Michelle Welchons
Michelle Welchons
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
my computer info May 25, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Michelle,
Michelle Welchons wrote:

Almost impossible to answer without knowing
- your operating system and browser;
- the precise nature of the problem (error messages if any, browser behaviour, etc.).

Can you please provide some more details?

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

I have Windows XP Professional, and have tried opening the page both with IE and Firefox.

The little status bar fills up to about halfway like the page is loading and then just stops. After a minute or two, the "This page can not be displayed" message appears. I've tried accessing the page through Google, etc, but nothing works.

Thanks for trying to help!

Michelle Welchons
Michelle Welchons
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Miscommunication - Ah, the joys of the internet. May 25, 2006

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I was being sarcastic and the dumb question I was referring to was my question about the cookies (Have you tried deleting your cookies?), not yours. Most people--including myself, always forget to delete the cookies and that may cause IE to behave in strange ways.

Sorry if I offended you, you misunderstood me, I would never call anyone dumb for asking a question

Regards,
Claudia

Claudia,

Hey, sorry for misunderstanding you!! Too bad there's no "sarcastic" smilie... that one always goes unnoticed. Thanks for your suggestions, I had no idea about the cookies thing. Just spent another hour fighting with the "customer service" people....

Best wishes!
Michelle

Michelle Welchons
Michelle Welchons
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Firewall May 25, 2006

Jabberwock wrote:

Do you have a software firewall? I remember that once my firewall software (it was Sygate at that time, I think), was so active in protecting me that it shut me out of most of the Internet...

No firewall. And it's really weird, because out of the blue, it just stopped loading.

Thanks for the idea,
Michelle

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
Local time: 14:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
What I always do May 25, 2006

Hello

Actually, sometimes I do face complicated matters even experts can not answer and what I always do is that I keep my important files on a separate CD and format my PC with desk manager and then install new Windows. I use Deep Freeze without any AntiVirus Software and I have Windows running normally for more than one year until i change it myself without any problems at all. SOUNDS UNBELIEVABLE.

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open ProZ from my computer

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »