Searching Past Polls
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:17
English to German
+ ...
Jun 11, 2006

I know that past polls can be viewed under the Community/Polls menu.

Currently, there are 15+ pages of past polls stored on the page. I am pretty sure that there have been numerous polls on a certain subject, and before I suggest a poll myself I would like to search the previous polls to see whether it has already been carried out or not.

Of course, I could simply suggest a poll and wait until a moderator approves or squashes it. But in the case of the latter, I still wouldn't know how to retrieve an answer to my question. Search all 15+ pages one by one? With time the no. of pages will grow, and it would be nice to have a feature that allows for searching past polls by keyword, or something similar.

Would that be possible?

Thanks,

Sonja

Direct link Reply with quote

Ara Mkrtchyan  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 06:17
English to Armenian
+ ...
Hi Jun 12, 2006

Hey Sonja,

I wondered about the same for a while and wanted to post this question myself. But then I found a nice way out. The thing is that each poll has a discussion in the forums, and when I once wanted to "search" the polls, I searched the forums instead and found the answer, also the poll (which is actually the first posting in a poll's discussion thread). So just search the forums and you'll find what you're looking for, or not find and suggest a poll of your own. I do not mean to say that there's no need for the search feature; it's just what I found for myself to solve the problem.

Rgrds.
Ara Mkrtchyan

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:17
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already did that Jun 12, 2006

Hi Ara,

I have already done what you are suggesting: searching the forum.

While the Discussion forum has less pages than the Past Polls page, it is still tedious, especially if you consider that the no. of polls will increase over time, and hence the no. of pages displayed in the Discussion forum.

Also, if you go to the Forum Search to make a thorough search of the Discussion forum only, you will discover that your keywords will not always be helpful. E.g., enter Trados and you will receive numerous entries that contain Trados, but the actual poll has nothing to do with Trados at all.

In short, there are ways to search past polls, but they require a lot of time or do not yield the best results.

Thanks for your input.

Sonja

[Bearbeitet am 2006-06-12 09:58]

Ara Mkrtchyan  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 06:17
English to Armenian
+ ...
Try to be more specific Jun 12, 2006

Sonja, the input "Trados" is itself very general, so the range of results will be accordingly wide. You should try "working with Trados", "Trados rating" and suchlike specific entries. Besides, if you find no relevant poll, it could well mean there's none of it at all.
I mean for the current situation - while there's no polls search feauture - this should be the step anyway, before suggesting a poll and waiting for a moderator to squash or approve it.

Rgrds.
Ara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching Past Polls

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search