https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/5082-email_accounts_paying_or_non.html

Email accounts -paying or non?
Thread poster: Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Local time: 06:57
English
+ ...
Sep 13, 2002

I would like to know the general opinion of the translators about the email account? Is it better to use a paid account such as aol.com or is yahoo alright?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Maria

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Paying... Sep 13, 2002

Good morning,

The general consensus is that a paying *account* is more professional and makes a better impression.

Also, Yahoo, Hotmail and other such popular *free* accounts only allow for a certain size of message (or message storage) and with the size of certain files that I receive for various projects, a Yahoo account even with 6MB of free space is not a viable solution.

A word of caution about *AOL* in particular: I have a few
... See more
Good morning,

The general consensus is that a paying *account* is more professional and makes a better impression.

Also, Yahoo, Hotmail and other such popular *free* accounts only allow for a certain size of message (or message storage) and with the size of certain files that I receive for various projects, a Yahoo account even with 6MB of free space is not a viable solution.

A word of caution about *AOL* in particular: I have a few clients who have AOL accounts and they have problems *sending* files as attachment (I do not know why, but I remember that when I was on CompuServe years ago, I also had similar problems and both are now one and the same).

Just make sure that the *paid* email service that you select offers you the option to access your email account via the web (through your browser, you log on to their website) as an alternative for when you travel. This way, you only need *one* email address, so if you are away, you can easily log in from a cyber cafe (if you do not carry a laptop) and go to your email provider\'s website. All you have to do is log in to your email account from there and handle your mail as usual.

Enjoy your weekend!

Nathalie

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-13 11:53 ]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Free accounts often have delays Sep 13, 2002

Hotmail, yahoo, etc., seem to have 10-15 minute delays before emails which have arrived are shown. Paying accounts are often faster.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Paying Sep 13, 2002

I use Compuserve and am very happy with it. Even though it\'s part of AOL, I think it oprates independently.

Hotmail is especially bad. Not only does the email look messy, but it\'s difficult to attach a file. Sometimes the file comes through as part of the message and is illegible.

Since you are in the US, you can get unlimited Compuserve access for $24.95/month.

Trudy

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:57
Catalan to English
+ ...
It depends on where you live Sep 13, 2002

I used to have a Compuserve address, but now use a free Spanish one (jazzfree.com), which has no storage space limit. Moreover, I can check (and send) my mail anywhere in the world by going to http://www.mail2web.com

Compuserve can work out very expensive if you are not living in the US. That\'s why I changed to jazzfree. So far, I\'ve been very happy with it.

Good luck!

... See more
I used to have a Compuserve address, but now use a free Spanish one (jazzfree.com), which has no storage space limit. Moreover, I can check (and send) my mail anywhere in the world by going to http://www.mail2web.com

Compuserve can work out very expensive if you are not living in the US. That\'s why I changed to jazzfree. So far, I\'ve been very happy with it.

Good luck!

Sheila
Collapse

Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL
Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Paid is definitely better... Sep 13, 2002

Hi,

I can tell you that having a paid email account is definitely more professional.

I have some email accounts, but one thing that I find particularly good is \'renting\' your own name. Go to www.netidentity.com - it\'s one of the options. You pay an annual fee and you don\'t have to change your address (this is interesting when you have to print business cards, etc).

... See more
Hi,

I can tell you that having a paid email account is definitely more professional.

I have some email accounts, but one thing that I find particularly good is \'renting\' your own name. Go to www.netidentity.com - it\'s one of the options. You pay an annual fee and you don\'t have to change your address (this is interesting when you have to print business cards, etc).

Regards,

Adriana

Brazil
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email accounts -paying or non?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »