https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/5251-trados_55_doesn%92t_work_anymore_in_word_2000_%5C_%7B%7D_%5C.html

Trados 5.5 doesn’t work anymore in Word 2000 (\"--{}--\")
Thread poster: Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:43
German to French
+ ...
Sep 23, 2002

I now have a new problem with Trados:

Trados inserts a sequence of dashes and curly braces \"—{}—\" in the document and after that it’s not possible to translate anymore.

I repaired the document, downloaded and installed the patch KB1061* (that normally only applies to the Word XP environment), but it didn’t help.

Can somebody help?

Thank you for any help!!!
<
... See more
I now have a new problem with Trados:

Trados inserts a sequence of dashes and curly braces \"—{}—\" in the document and after that it’s not possible to translate anymore.

I repaired the document, downloaded and installed the patch KB1061* (that normally only applies to the Word XP environment), but it didn’t help.

Can somebody help?

Thank you for any help!!!

Jef

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1061

Trados Workbench 5.5 (Build 247)

Word 2000

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No solution, but... Sep 23, 2002

...have you contacted Trados support?

As an alternative, have you checked the discussion forum on www.translationzone.com?

Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Ralf… Sep 23, 2002

for your quick suggestions, but:

- I would have to pay for a support contract to get support from Trados and I don\'t want to

- the discussion forum has disappeared in the new version of translationzone.com

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not quite... Sep 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-23 21:53, Jef wrote:

- I would have to pay for a support contract to get support from Trados and I don\'t want to

That\'s not quite true - there\'s incident-based support via e-mail or the Internet.

On a personal note, I consider the tool to be an essential part of my business - which is why I\'m happy to purchase and renew my support... See more
Quote:

On 2002-09-23 21:53, Jef wrote:

That\'s not quite true - there\'s incident-based support via e-mail or the Internet.

On a personal note, I consider the tool to be an essential part of my business - which is why I\'m happy to purchase and renew my support contract.

Quote:
- the discussion forum has disappeared in the new version of translationzone.com

I admit I didn\'t realise that; I haven\'t been using it frequently.

[/quote] ▲ Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
INcidentally you posted this twice Sep 24, 2002

and obviously missed thiy:

Perhaps your style sheets are corrupted (Normal.dot, Trados5.dot)

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=476

Jerzy

I posted this some time ago in the other thread you opened. It is a good possibility, that recreating both DOT-files may help.

bochkor
bochkor
Local time: 17:43
English to German
+ ...
You should get free support from Trados! Sep 24, 2002

I\'m another Trados 5.5 Freelance user left hanging. I told them that when I bought the software, I bought it with free support and now they want to charge me as a change of their policy? As it turned out, they\'re understaffed in tech support, but that\'s meager consolation for us users, right? Finally, I got 3 months of free tech support from them. However, they still don\'t know the answer to my question. I suggest you ask to speak to a manager (or write him) at Trados and explain the free su... See more
I\'m another Trados 5.5 Freelance user left hanging. I told them that when I bought the software, I bought it with free support and now they want to charge me as a change of their policy? As it turned out, they\'re understaffed in tech support, but that\'s meager consolation for us users, right? Finally, I got 3 months of free tech support from them. However, they still don\'t know the answer to my question. I suggest you ask to speak to a manager (or write him) at Trados and explain the free support that was originally included with your program.

And sorry, but Jef is right for not wanting to pay for tech support, so I disagree with Ralf on considering it a business expense, whatever policy changes Trados dreams up. Are we in the business to help Trados survive or do WE want to survive? So no way, it\'s not a business expense! Tech support is an integral part of the software, whether unlimited or just for 3 months, but it is!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-24 11:39 ]
Collapse

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Check this patch out http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1090 Sep 24, 2002

I have had the same problem with the curly brackets but I could always fix the document and continue translating. It was a big word document with lots of formatting (graphics, screenshots, cross-references for index and TOC etc.) and eventually when cleaning the file up I got an error message which then lead me to the Trados support website. I downloaded this patch

\"KB1090 - Batch processing Word documents with circular style references may cause RPC_E_SERVERFAULT errors\"
... See more
I have had the same problem with the curly brackets but I could always fix the document and continue translating. It was a big word document with lots of formatting (graphics, screenshots, cross-references for index and TOC etc.) and eventually when cleaning the file up I got an error message which then lead me to the Trados support website. I downloaded this patch

\"KB1090 - Batch processing Word documents with circular style references may cause RPC_E_SERVERFAULT errors\"

and I think it solved the curly bracket problem (so far!).

I don\'t know whether you are experiencing the same problem but have a look. The build of my Trados is now 251.
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
I had the same problem Oct 3, 2002

I had the same problem as Jef and failed to work it out. As the repetition in my file is not much, I simply give up using trados. Later, I saved the .doc file into .txt file and the WB worked again. Maybe you can try to save the file into .txt file and then run the trados pretranslate task on the source text in doc. format. I didn\'t try that myself, and don\'t know if this work around.

Good luck!

Zhoudan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 doesn’t work anymore in Word 2000 (\"--{}--\")

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »