Help!!! My Proz site is in Russian!
Thread poster: Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 3, 2006

I don't know what has happened but the language of the site has changed from English into Russian. I don't know any Russian so I don't know how to navigate to the language setting page. I want the site in English!! Please help!

Minna

P.S. I ticked the box underneath thinking it's for notifications when I get replies, but it might be something else: "Это сообщение "не по теме" (скорее имеет отношение к развлечению, чем к работе). "

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:26
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
You can change language Aug 3, 2006

Dear Minna,

you can change the language of the ProZ.com interface clicking at the bottom of all pages, including the Home page.
You can find there, just above the Copyright, a line with a list of languages, and the first is "English" (in Latin alphabet even in the Russian version).

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-08-03 22:37]

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! Aug 3, 2006

Mille grazie Gianfranco!

That was easier than I thought. I'm back to familiar English now.

Buona notte!
Minna

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:26
Chinese to English
+ ...
Happened to me too Aug 3, 2006

Funny, but it happened to me too. I changed it back using the upper left hand corner drop-down menu (I also don't know any Russian). Maybe it's got something to do with Proz migrating their sites at the moment.

[Edited at 2006-08-03 23:58]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Try it in Hungarian Aug 4, 2006

Why not?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:26
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Just for your information Aug 4, 2006

The box you ticked is the one that says: "This post is 'off-topic', ie. more play than work."

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mine was in German Aug 4, 2006

Something strange happened to me yesterday. By some reason I entered into the German version of Proz, and I could get back into the English version only after a couple of unfruitful attempts.

Regards

Clarisa

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Site language changes and Google Aug 4, 2006

I often search for terms via Google, adding "proz.com" to my search query. Clicking on past KudoZ questions invariably changes the site language to something exotic and it stays that way! For instance, I could enter "superiori proz.com" into Google, click on the second entry, "KudoZ German to Italian translation of grosse/kleine Kader: quadri inferiori e superiori" and hey presto - the site turns into what looks like Romanian.
It's too early in the morning for me to work out why it's doing
... See more
I often search for terms via Google, adding "proz.com" to my search query. Clicking on past KudoZ questions invariably changes the site language to something exotic and it stays that way! For instance, I could enter "superiori proz.com" into Google, click on the second entry, "KudoZ German to Italian translation of grosse/kleine Kader: quadri inferiori e superiori" and hey presto - the site turns into what looks like Romanian.
It's too early in the morning for me to work out why it's doing this and it's probably strikingly obvious but I would appreciate it if the site remembered my language, even when accessing it through Google!
Cheers,

Amy
Regatul Unit

[Editat la 2006-08-04 07:18]
Collapse

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 00:26
English
Links from Google, and Google Webaccelerator Aug 4, 2006

Hello all,

We have had a number of users make forum posts like this in the past couple weeks.

Just for your information, if you visit a language code subdomain of ProZ.com, such as http://esl.proz.com, your site language will be switched to Spanish. So if you end up with a different language than you intend to have, you can switch back to En
... See more
Hello all,

We have had a number of users make forum posts like this in the past couple weeks.

Just for your information, if you visit a language code subdomain of ProZ.com, such as http://esl.proz.com, your site language will be switched to Spanish. So if you end up with a different language than you intend to have, you can switch back to English by visiting http://eng.proz.com, or setting English as the site language in the top left hand corner.

Also, it seems as though Google Webaccelerator and other web accelerator programs are automatically clicking the links at the bottom of ProZ.com pages which also change the site language. This explains why you would just be browsing the site as normal, and all of a sudden it appears in another language.

Best regards,
Justin
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
cheers Aug 4, 2006

Thanks for the info, Justin - that makes sense.
Best,
Amy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help!!! My Proz site is in Russian!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »