Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:03
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 7, 2006

I don't really know where to post this topic, so I chose the off-topic forum, although it is proz-related.

Since I became a member I have now the possibility (for those who are not aware of this feature) to see who visits my profile, where s/he comes from (country and if s/he comes through the site or a google searching) and that person's IP address.

I would like to know if the figures indicated in there are really accurate?

I will probably look a bit paran
... See more
I don't really know where to post this topic, so I chose the off-topic forum, although it is proz-related.

Since I became a member I have now the possibility (for those who are not aware of this feature) to see who visits my profile, where s/he comes from (country and if s/he comes through the site or a google searching) and that person's IP address.

I would like to know if the figures indicated in there are really accurate?

I will probably look a bit paranoid, but, for instance, there is someone visiting my profile who has already visited it about 80 times and keeps on doing so. Well, you can click in the wrong URL when receiving a kudoz question or a forum posting, but doesn't 80 times seem too much for a mistake?

Also, today I checked my visitors and someone has visited my profile twice. The 2nd time was today but the second one was DEC. 31 1969!!!

Are these figures accurate?

And as for the person who has apparently visited my profile over 80 times, shall I be worried about it?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Ivana
Collapse

Eva Middleton
Eva Middleton  Identity Verified
German to English
glad you asked, Ivana Aug 7, 2006

I get a little freaked out by the visitor stats, too.

I had some extremely frequent unexplained visitors like you, but I also find the Google search terms unsettling somehow (mad, I know).

I just find it disconcerting to see that someone has googled my name.

It's the main reason why I've removed my picture and my CV - it really hit home that hundreds of strangers actually do look at all the stuff I put there. Maybe I'm just too paranoid?

Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Interesting point Aug 7, 2006

I'm interested in this topic, too. I also have someone who visited my profile 81 times (I think the second place goes to another person who visited it 59 times).

The major part of my "visitors" come from the United States, but I think that's just because there are so many Americans out there.

As for Google, like Eva pointed out, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of my "google visitors" just google key words, which happen to be in my profile, and generally they only come
... See more
I'm interested in this topic, too. I also have someone who visited my profile 81 times (I think the second place goes to another person who visited it 59 times).

The major part of my "visitors" come from the United States, but I think that's just because there are so many Americans out there.

As for Google, like Eva pointed out, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of my "google visitors" just google key words, which happen to be in my profile, and generally they only come once.

Best,

Cristina
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Traffic, that's all Aug 7, 2006

I will probably look a bit paranoid, but, for instance, there is someone visiting my profile who has already visited it about 80 times and keeps on doing so. Well, you can click in the wrong URL when receiving a kudoz question or a forum posting, but doesn't 80 times seem too much for a mistake?

No mistakes, and no people either. Those 80 visits are probably generated by search [ro]bots. For example, Google uses bots to search all Kudoz, that's why so many answers from ProZ appear when you google specific terms.

It's automatic traffic, that's all.

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs-english

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:03
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Searching for a Busy Translator Aug 7, 2006

I have some interesting Google searches on my vistors page as well:

"always traducida al español" from California

"busy traduccion" from Peru

"translation Spanish busy"

"traduccion de busy" from Colombia

"traductor busy" from Spain

"traduccion de español a ingles palabras busy" from Venezuela

"traducir turn down" from Spain

"BUSY TRADUCCION" from Spain

"busy+traduccion" from Chi
... See more
I have some interesting Google searches on my vistors page as well:

"always traducida al español" from California

"busy traduccion" from Peru

"translation Spanish busy"

"traduccion de busy" from Colombia

"traductor busy" from Spain

"traduccion de español a ingles palabras busy" from Venezuela

"traducir turn down" from Spain

"BUSY TRADUCCION" from Spain

"busy+traduccion" from Chile

Are these people wanting to know what the English word Busy means or are they just searching for translators who are busy???
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Search bots Aug 7, 2006

[quote]Pilar T. Bayle wrote:
No mistakes, and no people either. Those 80 visits are probably generated by search
s.

Yes, this is the reason for those dozens and dozens of revisits. For example, my visitor statistics register a recent visit, the 49th, from "66.249.66.110". Click on the IP to see whose searchbot it is!

[Edited at 2006-08-07 22:39]

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
country? Aug 8, 2006

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

Do you mean you can see the country in the table shown on the Visitors tab in your Profile, or only after you click on the person's IP address? My table doesn't show the country column although I remember that it did once (for a very short time) and then it disappeared. Strange...

[Edited at 2006-08-08 01:53]

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:03
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I didn't know about Search bots Aug 8, 2006

but I have noticed that sometimes people come to my profile because they were looking for a word in Google and found a KudoZ question page in which my name could be found.

I even received a "thank you" message from two students who had to pass an exam, because they were looking for a technical term and I had asked it. Instead of writing to the person who answered to my question, they wrote to me.
I don't have enough time to browse back my visitors, but I'd like to. I'd also a
... See more
but I have noticed that sometimes people come to my profile because they were looking for a word in Google and found a KudoZ question page in which my name could be found.

I even received a "thank you" message from two students who had to pass an exam, because they were looking for a technical term and I had asked it. Instead of writing to the person who answered to my question, they wrote to me.
I don't have enough time to browse back my visitors, but I'd like to. I'd also appreciate to have more information, for instance, when the visitors are ProZ.com users (profile).

Claudia
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-) Aug 8, 2006

I'd also appreciate to have more information, for instance, when the visitors are ProZ.com users (profile).

Well, you get to know if whoever is visiting is a freelancer or an agency. But I hope they will never produce the profiles of people who visit our pages. Afterall, the Internet is based on anonymity and it should stay that way. Personally, I'd hate to have an additional cookie to delete.

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs-english

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Country - To Joanna Aug 8, 2006

Joanna Borowska wrote:

Do you mean you can see the country in the table shown on the Visitors tab in your Profile, or only after you click on the person's IP address?

Only when you click on the person's IP address. You have the country and even the town.

Voloshka
Voloshka  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Exactly! Aug 8, 2006

GoodWords wrote:
For example, my visitor statistics register a recent visit, the 49th, from "66.249.66.110". Click on the IP to see whose searchbot it is!

[Edited at 2006-08-07 22:39]

I contacted a moderator with this "paranoic" question and Natalia explained "Google is googling"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the visitors chart really accurate?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »