Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 01:13
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Aug 15, 2006

Hi,

I have some troubles viewing posts on proz both on Kudoz and forums.

I open links to Kudoz questions and find some answers already posted, but I start viewing more AFTER I submit my answer showing a far earlier time of posting. It's also the same on the forums. I posted a topic yesterday and responded to the responses I received, today I had an e-mail notice of a new response that was supposed to be there before my last response, and mine was right after it.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? Is it my system or is it a bug?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:13
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I guess it is due to vetting Aug 15, 2006

Hi Dina,

Yes, it is due to the vetting of posts of non-members, so that they first appear up to 12 hours later, but then giving the original time that they were submitted and also occupying the position according to the time that they were submitted.

Astrid

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Non-members are being vetted? Aug 15, 2006

I thought that vetting was only for those who have not had their ID verified. Am I wrong?

Sonja

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Forum FAQ #4 Aug 15, 2006

Hi Sonja,
Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

I thought that vetting was only for those who have not had their ID verified. Am I wrong?

No. The details are here :

4. Are forum postings vetted?

Forum postings from members and users with verified identities appear immediately. Postings from all others are checked before being made visible. Most postings are approved within 12 hours.

Best, Ralf

[Edited at 2006-08-15 14:20]

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
No vetting on KudoZ Aug 15, 2006

Vetting doesn't apply to KudoZ, though, does it?

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 19:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cache? Aug 15, 2006

Dina Abdo wrote:

I open links to Kudoz questions and find some answers already posted, but I start viewing more AFTER I submit my answer showing a far earlier time of posting.

When you first view a question, the page is no doubt being stored in your cache file (i.e. a copy on your PC). If you come back to it later, it displays the cache copy, rather than refreshing everything, so you don't see answers posted after your first viewing. Then when you post your own answer, it does refresh the page (and the copy in cache), so you see those newer answers - and your own.

I've also had the problem - and I'd suggest that it would be helpful if staff could program an expiry date (a nice short one - say, 5 minutes) into the page so it refreshes automatically when you come back to it.

In the meantime (and that may be a long time ), it's worth getting into the habit of hitting your browser's 'refresh' button after re-visiting a question, to make sure you're seeing the current version.

On the forums, the answer is probably related to vetting, as mentioned by other contributers here.

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2006-08-15 17:08]

Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I thought as well!! Aug 15, 2006

GoodWords wrote:

Vetting doesn't apply to KudoZ, though, does it?

Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope ... this isn't the case! Aug 15, 2006

mediamatrix wrote:

When you first view a question, the page is no doubt being stored in your cache file (i.e. a copy on your PC). If you come back to it later, it displays the cache copy, rather than refreshing everything, so you don't see answers posted after your first viewing. Then when you post your own answer, it does refresh the page (and the copy in cache), so you see those newer answers - and your own.

I've also had the problem - and I'd suggest that it would be helpful if staff could program an expiry date (a nice short one - say, 5 minutes) into the page so it refreshes automatically when you come back to it.

In the meantime (and that may be a long time ), it's worth getting into the habit of hitting your browser's 'refresh' button after re-visiting a question, to make sure you're seeing the current version.

On the forums, the answer is probably related to vetting, as mentioned by other contributers here.

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2006-08-15 17:08]

In one question for example, I viewed two more answers submitted before mine AFTER I viewed my answer on the link later. Then I saw a third answer appearing in the page timed before mine although it wasn't there when I first submitted my answer!

Another thing, I inserted comments to the comments on my answer at Kudoz, and they were in order. The next day I found two more responses with timings showing that they were way ahead from the two next to them which I answered already the day before!

Vetting makes sense in forums, but I don't think it applies to Kudoz comments or even answers!

More to say ... I get late notifications for questions and jobs now! I opened ProZ page to find job ads in my pairs as well as Kudoz questions. Viewing the Job ad ... it states that I was notified! But I wasn't! Nothing in my mail box from Proz! I sent myself a test message from another account and it works perfectly ... so it's not my e-mail!

[Edited at 2006-08-15 19:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Timing problem!

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search