Is SDLX really compatible to Trados
Thread poster: Bracha de Man
Bracha de Man
Local time: 09:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 7, 2002

Some time ago I invested in SDLX, considerabely less of an outlay than for Trados. I find that many companies these days require Trados and that I end up passing up good jobs. The SDLX website claims that it is compatible to Trados. I don\'t know if it\'s true and what the limitations are because I don\'t dare take a Trados job without knowing for sure that I can live up to the requirements. Anyone has any experience in this area? I translate from Dutch into English.

Bracha de Man
[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

nettranslatorde
Russian to German
+ ...
Yes it is! Oct 7, 2002

SDLX uses the same file system as Trados, so it\'s fully Trados compatible and you can apply to any job that requires Trados.

Good luck!

Kerstin
[addsig]

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 08:42
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
You can import or export *.txt to/from Trados Oct 7, 2002

Hi,

I don\'t work in your combination, but I do have SDLX. It is sure that you can work with SDLX and then export TMs and TBs in Trados format (*.txt). The other way round, you can import *.txt Trados files into SDLX. I can assure you that what I have imported from Trados was readable in SDLX and viceversa.

Have a nice evening,

Giuliana
[addsig]

French Locale
Local time: 08:42
English to French
+ ...
Unable to deliver uncleaned files Oct 8, 2002

I\'ve worked several times with SDLX for original Trados jobs, but the main problem is that you cannot create uncleaned files and that\'s what most of the agencies want to receive.

You can create a Trados TM out of the txt file you export from SDLX, but even if you set up your SDLX options carefully, you loose most of the formatting and if you then integrate this Trados TM contents into your document (your original one), you won\'t get a 100% match result.

Frankly, my biggest nightmare as a translator has been to work on SDLX for Trados jobs... But, apart from that, SDLX is a great software!

If you want something more compatible with Trados, I guess (but not sure as I never used it) you\'d better go for a shareware (or freeware) called WordFast (see http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=5211&forum=9&5)

Good luck!

Véronique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is SDLX really compatible to Trados

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search