Irene Fried
Irene Fried  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:57
English to German
+ ...
Oct 10, 2002

Dear all!

I am completely lost and desperate. I am trying to translate a Word-file (Word 2000, Windows ME, Trados 3), and the above message is displayed in some positions of the file.

I have no idea where to start and what to do.

And yes, there is text to be translated at that position. In previous translations it was recognised and it is in the TM.

Not only that. Sometimes for no obvious reason a sentence is cut into pieces (although the breaks
... See more
Dear all!

I am completely lost and desperate. I am trying to translate a Word-file (Word 2000, Windows ME, Trados 3), and the above message is displayed in some positions of the file.

I have no idea where to start and what to do.

And yes, there is text to be translated at that position. In previous translations it was recognised and it is in the TM.

Not only that. Sometimes for no obvious reason a sentence is cut into pieces (although the breaks are correctly defined) and of course this makes a translation impossible. I tried to visualize all formatting characters, but there is no indication of why this should happen.

HELP!!!

Irene
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:57
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No text to translate Oct 10, 2002

If you get to such a place, please move the cursor with the arrow keys some positions to the right and then try again.

If you display really all not printable characters you should be able to see, if there are some hidden fields or something similiar, what is cutting the sentence in pieces. If you do not see anything there and there ar no paragraph marks nor manual line breakings, formatted as hidden text.

The other possibility is, if there are \":\" or a not commo
... See more
If you get to such a place, please move the cursor with the arrow keys some positions to the right and then try again.

If you display really all not printable characters you should be able to see, if there are some hidden fields or something similiar, what is cutting the sentence in pieces. If you do not see anything there and there ar no paragraph marks nor manual line breakings, formatted as hidden text.

The other possibility is, if there are \":\" or a not common abbreviation with a point at the end (\"ttt.\"). Trados makes a break after \":\" and after a \".\". If this happens, you are able to advice Trados to enhance the sentence by pressing \"CTRL+ALT+PAGE DOWN\" or on German system \"STRG+ALT+BILD AB«\" (an arrow showing down).

By pressing \"CTRL+ALT+PG UP\" you can reduce the sentence.

HTH

Jerzy

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-10 11:47 ]
Collapse

mmachado (X)
mmachado (X)
English to Portuguese
Try "Fix document" option Oct 10, 2002

Hello,

After following the advise given above, if you still have the same problem try using the \"fix document\" option (Alt+S+M). Sometimes it works as it fixes problems we can\'t see.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Mónica Machado

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT: Trados message: No text to translate at cursor position

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »