International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can I now use my old profile format as the default view for visitors?
Thread poster: Jennifer Baker

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:35
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Oct 1, 2006

I'm a bit confused- Can I now use my old profile format as the default view for visitors? I checked out some other members' profiles and it seems that the old format is available again to visitors. I can't seem to set my old format as default for visitors, though...
I was away for quite a while, and maybe I missed something?

Thanks for any clarification-
Jennifer

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-10-01 09:00]

Direct link Reply with quote

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:35
English to Polish
Yes, you can :o) Oct 1, 2006

When you go to your profile, you'll see there is a Use old profile format as default button at the very top of the page. That should work

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Log out then try viewing your profile Oct 1, 2006

Thanks for the tip Joanna

Hi JL
As far as I can tell if you’re logged in even after clicking "Use old profile for default" you still get the new profile.
If you log out or cancel your cookies then go to your profile page after selecting "Use old profile for default" you should see what a visitor sees, your old profile.
I think..
Jo

[Edited at 2006-10-01 19:15]

Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:35
English to German
+ ...
Doesn't work for me Oct 1, 2006

Joanna Borowska wrote:

When you go to your profile, you'll see there is a Use old profile format as default button at the very top of the page. That should work

My profile opens in the new format, and I get an option saying "Use this format as default" - which is exactly what I do not want to do. Logging out/clearing cookies didn't help, either - I still get the new format along with a link to my profile in the old format (which does not offer any options to set it as the default that visitors see).
Perhaps I'm overlooking something?

[Edited at 2006-10-02 06:09]

United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Same here- Oct 2, 2006

I'm having the same experience as Ulrike. Can any of you tell me which profile you're seeing when you click on my name?
In addition, I would greatly appreciate it if a staff member could clear this issue up. Whatever the case is, it's definitely quite confusing.

Jennifer

English to German
+ ...
Seems both you and me are stuck with the new format - at least for now Oct 2, 2006

JL Baker wrote:

I'm having the same experience as Ulrike. Can any of you tell me which profile you're seeing when you click on my name?

When I click on your name, your profile opens up in the new format.

United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I've submitted a support ticket Oct 2, 2006

I'll post when I have an answer-

Jennifer

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Try this Oct 2, 2006

JL/Ulrike, clicking on your pics I get the new profile, so I reckon you have that set as default.

I had exactly the same problem
Try this, it worked for me.

From your new profile page click "Use this profile as default"

Then the link "Use old profile as default" appears and you can click it to have your old profile back.

As mentioned above I think if you're logged in you get the new profile so try logging out and going to your profile page to check which one visitors see.

United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still murky Oct 2, 2006

Hi Jo,
Thanks for your time on this (and everyone else's, too). I tried exactly what you described and am still getting the new profile format.
The truth is that I'm out of time now for fooling with this any longer. I'll wait for an answer to my support ticket, and I'll let everyone here know.
I find all of this to be much ado about nothing. Why is something that should be simple made to be so complex? I would surely love to be able to choose my profile format (for me, profiles are one of the most important features of the site) and be done with it... but I'll not open that can of worms!

Thanks again for everyone's precious time!

Jennifer

[Edited at 2006-10-02 07:05]

xxxdf49f
France
old profile option not working Oct 2, 2006

Same for me...
I tried all of Jo's tricks but it still won't work.
The "use old profile profile as default" doesn't seem to be operational...
df

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:35
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Ah ha! Jo's solution worked for me! Oct 2, 2006

I've been studiously avoiding that "Use this profile as default" link, because I didn't want the version that kept displaying, i.e., the new one, as my default. But I just tried clicking it, with some trepidation, and I was, indeed, offered the option of switching back to the old version.

I clicked on "Use old profile as default," and now it's back to how I've been wanting to have it! I double-checked by logging out and looking at my profile again. Now it does display as the old profile to visitors and to me. I'd spent a lot of time working on that old profile, and, while I recognize that displaying the old version instead of the new one does interrupt the uniformity of site searches, that old version is near and dear to my heart. Thanks, Jo!

Yolanda

PS
I'm not sure this option is available to more recent profiles which were never in the old format to begin with.

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Try this, it worked for me.

From your new profile page click "Use this profile as default"

Then the link "Use old profile as default" appears and you can click it to have your old profile back.

As mentioned above I think if you're logged in you get the new profile so try logging out and going to your profile page to check which one visitors see.

English to German
+ ...
I'm not convinced it worked Oct 2, 2006

Yolanda Broad wrote:

I've been studiously avoiding that "Use this profile as default" link, because I didn't want the version that kept displaying, i.e., the new one, as my default. But I just tried clicking it, with some trepidation, and I was, indeed, offered the option of switching back to the old version.

I clicked on "Use old profile as default," and now it's back to how I've been wanting to have it! I double-checked by logging out and looking at my profile again. Now it does display as the old profile to visitors and to me. I'd spent a lot of time working on that old profile, and, while I recognize that displaying the old version instead of the new one does interrupt the uniformity of site searches, that old version is near and dear to my heart. Thanks, Jo!

Like Yolanda, I've been avoiding that "Use this profile as default" link for fear of setting something that I do not wish to set and then not being able to undo it.

After reading Jo's and Yolanda's posts, I thought I'd try things out and click on Yolanda's name/picture. And wouldn't you know it, her profile shows in the NEW format, even though she had set the old format as default.
So I'm not convinced that this is the solution.

P.S. Just to be sure that I didn't miss anything, I logged out, went into the forums, and once again clicked on Yolanda's name to call up her profile. It still displays in the new format.

P.P.S. Another little quirk on the site that's been bothering me lately is the fact that whenever I go into the forums, the site language reverts to Romanian, regardless of how many times I've set it to English (and believe me, that's quite a few times!). But perhaps that should be another thread?

[Edited at 2006-10-02 14:55]

[Edited at 2006-10-02 14:56]

United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
So... Oct 2, 2006

I received a prompt response of my support ticket telling me to basically do what has been mentioned here in the forum- set my old profile as default and that's that. Well, it's still not working for me. I'm a bit frustrated. I still get my new profile when I log on as a visitor, as I'm assuming others do.
I'll keep you posted.
Jennifer

[Edited at 2006-10-02 17:08]

English to German
+ ...
My experience exactly Oct 2, 2006

JL Baker wrote:

I received a prompt response of my support ticket telling me to basically do what has been mentioned here in the forum- set my old profile as default and that's that. Well, it's still not working for me. I'm a bit frustrated. I still get my new profile when I log on as a visitor, as I'm assuming others do.
I'll keep you posted.
Jennifer

[Edited at 2006-10-02 17:08]

When I click on your name, your profile displays in the new format. Which is exactly what happened with Yolanda's profile (see my earlier post). And it didn't seem to make any difference whether I was logged in or out - it always displayed in the new format.

I share your frustration...

United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I see your profile in the new format- Oct 2, 2006

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Yolanda

Hi Yolanda-
I get your profile in the new format when I click on your name...

Jennifer

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I now use my old profile format as the default view for visitors?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search