Can I change my username and at the same time...
Thread poster: xxxMalik Beytek
xxxMalik Beytek
Local time: 04:08
Oct 1, 2006

...make it easily known to any web site viewer that my username used to be what it is now, i.e., amateur9? Is there a way to do that? Is there any user / member who did that so that I can see how it looks on various pages, e.g., forums, profile, etc?

Direct link Reply with quote

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
You should contact a moderator Oct 1, 2006

The one for your language pair possibly

Have a nice Sunday

Angio

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:08
German to English
+ ...
Changing your name/username... Oct 1, 2006

Dear Amateur9,

That is a good idea! I did the same shortly after joining this fine community.

As far as I can tell, and aside from contacting a moderator, you can alter your name on the “Contact” tab of your profile (by pressing the “Edit all” button at the bottom). From there you can also decide what name is visible to others, i.e., either the name you entered or your username (which can stay the same as it was or be changed, if you want).

The changes you make will be applied automatically to all contributions you have already made to the site, e.g., forum entries that you made in the past will automatically show your new name.

To make others aware that you used to have a different name, you could put a note on your profile or even in your tagline, which can be edited by clicking on the little notepad next to it on your profile page).

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Best regards,

Derek

xxxMalik Beytek
TOPIC STARTER
As long as I keep history, I'm not too concerned about making known previous username Oct 1, 2006

Dear Derek,

Thank you for causing me to think about changing username, with your post in another forum (direct link: http://www.proz.com/post/427744#427744), and also thank you for your very complete advice here in this thread.

This web site is much better engineered than I thought it to be - you get to keep your history even if you change your username.

Once I change my username, I'll let you know via proz.com e- mail.

Best regards

amateur9

P.S: Sorry for causing you to make one more post on Sunday - I thought you weren't looking in the direction of this forum here!

xxxMalik Beytek
TOPIC STARTER
I eventually decided I to have a *less amateur-sounding username* when I wanted to click "agree"... Oct 1, 2006

.. with a response to a Kudoz answer. That naturally occurred to me only after Derek used the phrase a less amateur-sounding username (quoting approximately here). Therefore proz.com might wish to insert a little note of a warning at an appropriate place -- perhaps a simple warning like this:

"We hope that your chosen username, in itself, would not be one that might reduce the value of your concurrence with a member or user, especially the value to the person with whom your are concurring. For example, we hope that you would not choose a username like confused401".

P.S.: I opened this thread because I mistakenly perceived that I would have to start all over with a new username while the old one would be - somehow- locked. (Why did I perceive so? Probably because I my mind went over (as we would say in Turkish) to a previous membership with another web site where they allowed multiple accounts for the same person but not changing - I think - one's username). OK, so, it was not a very intelligent question, that question of mine, but it brought Derek's comments and I think they could be useful to others as well.

xxxMalik Beytek
TOPIC STARTER
Aw shucks I should have picked Leonardo! Oct 1, 2006

"yenigelen" is an improvised word in Turkish (it doesn't appear to be in this online dictionary published by Turkish Language Association); yeni (new) + gelen (the one who comes) --> newcomer; I picked it to signify that I'm a new kid in the block, from Turkey; I wasn't the first to improvise it, however, other Turks have already picked it for a last name, as I gather from internet search engines. In my case, this evening, proz.com designation "New user" inspired it.

Thank you all - Derek, Angioletta, proz.com.

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:08
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

VID/Member profiles: changing names means losing VID status Oct 1, 2006

By all means, do consider selecting a recognizable, unique user name, or, even better, using your own, full name, for the sake of transparency. However, if you have paid for your membership or had your profile ID verified, you should be aware that making changes to your profile user name will invalidate the VID. Rather than making the change yourself, please submit a support ticket and ask that your name be changed. That way, you won't lose your VID status!

xxxMalik Beytek
TOPIC STARTER
There is a good moderator, intervening at the right time and place... Oct 1, 2006

... to nudge the thread contents further towards a state of completeness, as in this case, or, as I witnessed in another case here at proz.com, to weigh in to, let us say, to render a thread's contents better balanced. I am forever grateful to moderators.

I consider myself still groping at the outskirts of proz.com. In fact I feel uncertain about the extent to which I wish to immerse myself in translation and / or related work in general. Hence, for now, an alias, and, at that, one that implies newcomer status and a bit of uncertainty.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I change my username and at the same time...

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search