Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 25, 2006

Hi everyone,

Something weird has been happening in my visitors listing. I've been having too many visits from only one source.
I guess we usually tend to get one or two visits from one source (or at least, a normal number) but lately I've had 40 visits always coming from Alma, in Michigan. It's always a big number, although I have never been contacted by people from Michigan (which would be something to expect from someone who visited my profile page so many times).
Do
... See more
Hi everyone,

Something weird has been happening in my visitors listing. I've been having too many visits from only one source.
I guess we usually tend to get one or two visits from one source (or at least, a normal number) but lately I've had 40 visits always coming from Alma, in Michigan. It's always a big number, although I have never been contacted by people from Michigan (which would be something to expect from someone who visited my profile page so many times).
Do you think this is some kind of a bug? Have you experienced anything similar?
Collapse

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 18:02
English
The visits you described are from Google Oct 25, 2006

Hi Teresa!

The IP address in your visitors tab you are referring to is a Google crawler. Usually if you see someone (or something) accessing your profile that many times, you can assume it is a search engine crawler.

Hope this answers your question!

Best regards,
Justin

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
That explains it Oct 25, 2006

That's often bothered me too in the past - sometimes, after drawing the conclusion that someone out there has viewed my profile well over a hundred times in one night, I have been led to wonder just what it is about me they find so irresistible!

Of course, Teresa, it could also mean you have a stalker - but if so, at least you're not the only one being stalked!!

[Edited at 2006-10-25 23:56]

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:02
English to Italian
happened to me too Oct 26, 2006

I had the same problem in the past: almost every day I would get a visit from Sunnyvale, CA, coming from a Yahoo crawler (I think it was called Slurp (?)).
I contacted Yahoo, showing them the list of IP addresses I had, asking them if they could do something to stop that annoying thing, and apprently since then, the visits from Sunnyvale ended....

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I've started a similar topic not long ago Oct 26, 2006

Hi Teresa,

I've started a similar topic not long ago. You can see it at http://www.proz.com/topic/52840

I also have someone in my profile who visits me quite often from Alma, Michigan. It reached once 80 times and now it states 64 times.

When someone sees my profile coming from Google it says so. With this "person" from Alma visits it, it states "Direct Link/Unknown" and I've got a visit almost every day.

Justin said:
The IP address in your visitors tab you are referring to is a Google crawler.

Justin: what do you mean by "crawler"? I'm not familiar with the word and my dictionary didn't help much. Thank you in advance.

Ivana

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:32
German to English
Alma, Michigan....... Oct 26, 2006

........visits my profile often too, and they seem to be very interested in my KudoZ answers!

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:02
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too Oct 26, 2006

Hi everybody,

I have received 177 visits from Alma, Michigan, too.
I´d very much like an explanation about what a Google crawler is, dictionaries don´t help much.
Thanks!
Marina

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Google crawler Oct 26, 2006

...is something that is constantly exploring web pages to put them into Google, but I don't think it crawls, it really flys!

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:02
Japanese to English
For more info, see: Oct 26, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

Very simply, web 'crawlers' or 'spiders' crawl the world wide web, indexing pages and noting changes to previously-existing pages. That's how they keep their search engines up to date, and that's how you are provided with the information you need (hopefully!) any time you perform an internet search with a search engine.
HTH a little...
... See more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

Very simply, web 'crawlers' or 'spiders' crawl the world wide web, indexing pages and noting changes to previously-existing pages. That's how they keep their search engines up to date, and that's how you are provided with the information you need (hopefully!) any time you perform an internet search with a search engine.
HTH a little.....
Collapse

Galina F
Galina F
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
lol, I see Oct 26, 2006

Thank you, Teresa, for starting this post. Just today I was wondering about this someone in Alma, Michigan:-P.

Thanks to those who explained what it is. Best wishes.
Galina

Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:02
English to Italian
+ ...
I noticed it too Oct 26, 2006

Thanks everybody for their contribution.
I had the same "problem".

José Costa
José Costa
Portugal
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
The same here Jan 21, 2007

For some time I thought that there was someone out there in Michigan that really liked my work. It seems that it was just a crawler, it is a big disappointment. : P

[Edited at 2007-01-21 23:00]

NICKY AGATE (X)
NICKY AGATE (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
*sigh* Feb 1, 2007

I was interested in the prospect of getting translation work from Alma College, or something similar. Then I thought that I, too, had a secret stalker. Then I googled Alma, Michigan and came across this thread. Ah well. At least it makes sense now...

Melissa Stanfield
Melissa Stanfield  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:02
Italian to English
+ ...
that stalker was actually a crawler - oh well... :) Feb 21, 2007

So that is our mysterious visitor from Alma, Michigan (and Sunnyvale CA!) How many of us have been staring at our visitors page with puzzled faces over that one?! (add me to the list!)

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Me too Mar 17, 2007

But what's in Alma, MI, that gives whatever it is nothing better (or such a useful thing) to do?!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visitors listing: too many visits from only one source

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »