my articles do not appear in the database
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 13:59
English to German
+ ...
Nov 14, 2006

hello all! one was approved but hidden from the public the other does not appear even to me, apparently it was removed. But till about a few days back both used to be visible and were approved and awarded browniz, now my browniz are in minus score, due to this, I guess.. I wasn´t aware of any such changes in proz directory to this effect. Can somebody help. A support request has been submitted. But why would an article be approved but hidden from the public and why would the other article not... See more
hello all! one was approved but hidden from the public the other does not appear even to me, apparently it was removed. But till about a few days back both used to be visible and were approved and awarded browniz, now my browniz are in minus score, due to this, I guess.. I wasn´t aware of any such changes in proz directory to this effect. Can somebody help. A support request has been submitted. But why would an article be approved but hidden from the public and why would the other article not be visible even to me ?? Best BrandisCollapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Brandis Nov 17, 2006

I performed a search in the database and found only one your contribution entitled "Localize Websites with Trados" submitted on 05/11/2004. It fact, there was only a title, nothing more. No text, it was quite empty. Therefore it has never been accepted.

I haven't found any other your contributions, neither disapproved nor pending.

Natalia

[Edited at 2006-11-17 12:03]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that is really funny Natalie Nov 17, 2006

Natalie wrote:

I performed a search in the database and found only one your contribution entitled "Localize Websites with Trados" submitted on 05/11/2004. It fact, there was only a title, nothing more. No text, it was quite empty. Therefore it has never been accepted.

I haven't found any other your contributions, neither disapproved nor pending.

Natalia

[Edited at 2006-11-17 12:03]
till about a week back I could read my own works. Where did the content go. I can certainly rewrite these articles, I wrote them dearly and also have earned ponts for both, now the database table shows no articles and when there was no content at all , why was there a title in the first place. Would you know. Best Brandis

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
I don't know if this is funny or is it some kind of bug or whatever Nov 17, 2006

I have only checked the database. Unfortunately, i cannot tell you anything more. Please submit a support request, maybe the site staff will be able to tell you more.

Natalia

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I still don´t get it... Nov 18, 2006

Hello Natalie,

Could it be that several other articles got lost during the last server updation or routine maintenance process. If that is probable, then there would certainly be a backup of the knowledge base, I am sure my articles are still there. Can something be done try retrieve them. I don´t mind writing them again, but what happens if they again get lost ?
Thank you for your patience Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-11-18 05:59]

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:59
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I removed the articles Nov 18, 2006

Hi Brandis,

I have just found this thread now. A few days ago I found your two contributions in the Article Knowledgebase and removed both of them. I was not aware that you would not receive an automatic notification otherwise I would have sent it manually.

The reason for removing the articles is that, despite the topic could have been interesting, the article as they were posted were not well formed. I don't want to post here too many details, but the articles were d
... See more
Hi Brandis,

I have just found this thread now. A few days ago I found your two contributions in the Article Knowledgebase and removed both of them. I was not aware that you would not receive an automatic notification otherwise I would have sent it manually.

The reason for removing the articles is that, despite the topic could have been interesting, the article as they were posted were not well formed. I don't want to post here too many details, but the articles were definitely not complete, nor grammatically correct or comprehensible. In short, reading them would not have transmitted any useful information to the readers.

I have not kept a copy, but if you intend to post them again, revising their content and cleaning them up (grammar, spelling, sentence structure), you could be better off starting afresh rather than fixing the old version. Here you can find our submission guidelines: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/pages/Submission-Guidelines

Sorry about the inconvenience and miscommunication.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-11-18 11:26]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the articles were not about grammer or stuff Nov 18, 2006

gianfranco wrote:

Hi Brandis,

The reason for removing the articles is that, despite the topic could have been interesting, the article as they were posted were not well formed. I don't want to post here too many details, but the articles were definitely not complete, nor grammatically correct or comprehensible. In short, reading them would not have transmitted any useful information to the readers.

I have not kept a copy, but if you intend to post them again, revising their content and cleaning them up (grammar, spelling, sentence structure), you could be better off starting afresh rather than fixing the old version. Here you can find our submission guidelines: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/pages/Submission-Guidelines

Sorry about the inconvenience and miscommunication.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-11-18 11:26]
they were about a finding, explaining working process. A linguist like wouldn´t have to face any troubles understanding them. They were written in original and a willling man would take the trouble of understanding them or contact me directly, while having questions. Whilst you feel free of processing knowledge base articles without asking back, I must know now, what was not understandable. I see you were excercising your right while not informing me of your view prior to hiding/ changing/ removing, I am certainly not happy with this situation. I request that my older versions be made available in the database and leave me the editing part. You could have informed me of this before removing (red marks etc., ) I must ask, why did take two years time, before cheking and removing my articles.They were approved once till the date of removal. What is the wise idea now? do you understand the technical keywords like "left click and richt click etc" The articles were meant for people who sik anser r I hv ta rite a buk in hi englais . Why wasn´t I informed before removal, (if not through proz system you could have reached me via profile page) why did you not do this two years back as the articles were posted and why now. . Was that so much of work to reach me? I shall limit this to my particular instance and not try to gerenalize, you may have missed so many other points. What is the difference between a moderator (community ) two years back and a moderator today ? There would be certainly a back up in the database, I request you to retrieve the same, with the same ease as you remove the articles. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-11-18 14:02]

[Edited at 2006-11-18 14:14]

[Edited at 2006-11-18 14:57]

[Edited at 2006-11-18 15:58]

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:59
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Guidelines for posting articles Nov 18, 2006

Brandis wrote:
the articles were not about grammer or stuff

Exactly. That's why I removed them. No "grammer or stuff", where "grammer" could be intended as the formalisms used to communicate clearly and "stuff" could be the message, the content and the information intended for the readers.

To write an article for ProZ.com you are required to be comprehensible, follow some logic, develop the subject to some useful degree and, yes, that includes thinking about both aspects, "grammer and stuff".

The site allow moderators to remove articles that do not comply with the guidelines and I used the faculty to remove both of your articles because they had no merit.
If it can console you, a large number of articles are removed every week because they do not comply with our very simple guidelines. Yours were approved by mistake in the past, but it doesn't change the fact that they were poor, in form and content.

I cannot recover them and, as I said above, I kept no copies, and I apologized already for not having contacted you.

In fact, I was not aware that they would disappear but only that they would have been hidden and you would have received a notification. Now they are not accessible, at least not by me, but they may be still available in the database.

Please, if you intend to work editing the original text, submit a support ticket and ask to have them retrieved, but it is probably better to rewrite them from scratch, including their whole structure.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-11-18 17:44]

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:59
German to English
Articles don't appear in the database Nov 18, 2006

Brandis wrote:

they were about a finding, explaining working process. A linguist like wouldn´t have to face any troubles understanding them. They were written in original and a willling man would take the trouble of understanding them or contact me directly, while having questions. Whilst you feel free of processing knowledge base articles without asking back, I must know now, what was not understandable.

The articles were meant for people who sik anser r I hv ta rite a buk in hi englais

Hi Brandis - the beauty of the Article Knowledgebase is that members can write their articles in any language they choose. It doesn't have to be written in a language you have a hard time communicating in. Why not resubmit your article in your native language?

Best, Kim

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well Kim I did that 2 years back Nov 18, 2006

Kim Metzger wrote:

Brandis wrote:

they were about a finding, explaining working process. A linguist like wouldn´t have to face any troubles understanding them. They were written in original and a willling man would take the trouble of understanding them or contact me directly, while having questions. Whilst you feel free of processing knowledge base articles without asking back, I must know now, what was not understandable.

The articles were meant for people who sik anser r I hv ta rite a buk in hi englais

Hi Brandis - the beauty of the Article Knowledgebase is that members can write their articles in any language they choose. It doesn't have to be written in a language you have a hard time communicating in. Why not resubmit your article in your native language?

Best, Kim
why did you need so long to find mistakes and not inform me. It is like your own translation of workprocess coming back and there is a cut. Do you see. That article was understood over 2 years and since 10 days nobody understands it. I was not informed of this prior to removal. Why ? I could have equally posted a screen recording without words. Best Brandis

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
This additional info might help Nov 18, 2006

Hi Brandis,

Two years ago, there was no vetting for the Article Knowledgebase: articles (or, in fact, Howtos, with the name used back then) were published instantly and automatically, and even though the same guidelines were in place, articles were not being checked against them by a third party (moderator or staff member). Vetting of articles has been introduced only recently, maybe for less than a year, and we, moderators, now check the ones already in the database whenever we enc
... See more
Hi Brandis,

Two years ago, there was no vetting for the Article Knowledgebase: articles (or, in fact, Howtos, with the name used back then) were published instantly and automatically, and even though the same guidelines were in place, articles were not being checked against them by a third party (moderator or staff member). Vetting of articles has been introduced only recently, maybe for less than a year, and we, moderators, now check the ones already in the database whenever we encounter them, as well as checking and vetting each and every new article posted.

I hope this explanation will help dispel your confusion as to why your articles were approved two years ago, and not considered acceptable now: in fact, they were never approved before, anyway.

Best regards,
Özden
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
informing should be made obligatory Nov 19, 2006

Hello Özden,
It is like a member posting a thread and having a chioce of editing it multiple times within a given time frame. I remember, that even 2 years back articles were accepted and stored in the DB for vetting and in phases I saw those red lettered messages, I mean to say members were informed. I remember a few instances, where I had submitted various URLs to Glosspost, few were accepted and a few weren´t. But I was informed about such issues, because those rejected submissions
... See more
Hello Özden,
It is like a member posting a thread and having a chioce of editing it multiple times within a given time frame. I remember, that even 2 years back articles were accepted and stored in the DB for vetting and in phases I saw those red lettered messages, I mean to say members were informed. I remember a few instances, where I had submitted various URLs to Glosspost, few were accepted and a few weren´t. But I was informed about such issues, because those rejected submissions were of encyclopedic nature and not actually bilingual dictionary types. So there was a good reason. I suggest the same process be introduced in case of articles, lest it may lead to further disappointment. Those days my articles were awarded browniz, ( I could use them to supplement my membership purchase to a certain extent) would it now mean that I get - score due to the removal? Due to this removal I am in minus score. Why wasn´t Igiven a choice to correct before you grandly remove my articles. I feel this is a very unfair practise. I would rather not have the browniz and see my articles be published than an encouraging award and you guys have to snatch it away. Why did it have to be browniz or an ice cream in the first place ? You people are grand aren´t you? I see now more and more moderators are trying to console me. Best Brandis
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Not trying to console, but explain Nov 19, 2006

Dear Brandis,

I was not trying to console you for the browniz you have had 'snatched,' but was only trying to explain the situation. Now that I, too, have failed to do so, I expect the number of moderators in this forum to increase yet by one after I hereby ask to be kindly excused from this forum.

Best regards,
Özden

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

my articles do not appear in the database

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »