"Please contact a moderator" - What to do when not answered? - Post disappeared from Home Page
Thread poster: MultiPro

MultiPro  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:16
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 5, 2006

"Please contact a moderator" - What to do when not answered? T

The following message was posted at 9:16pm (21:16 PM GMT). It has disappeared from the home page without any justification. I am reposting it in case an unexplained bug is causing its disappearance. Although I am pretty sure, that is not the case.

Dear Technical Support Staff,
Dear ProZ.com Staff,

We often read in fora where an issue is brought up:

Please contact a moderator

What to do when contacting concerned moderators for weeks, has proven useless?
Is a "Support ticket" in order then?

Thank you for your response.

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:16
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
posting visible Dec 5, 2006

Hi MultiPro,
Your initial posting is here:
http://www.proz.com/post/466936#466936
and it appears on the list of postings of the ProZ.com technical support forum http://www.proz.com/forum/10
as well as on the list of recent posts
http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&cat_group=recent

Not all postings appear on the homepage. You can ready why on the FAQ page: http://www.proz.com/faq/forums#forums_no_homepage

14. How is it determined whether or not a forum thread will be featured on the home page?

The home page is important real estate to the ProZ.com community, insomuch as it commands a high degree of member attention and time. In the interest of providing the best possible workplace environment, ProZ.com's staff exercises editorial control over what appears on it. (As is common in publishing.)

The selection of featured items is managed in a semi-automated fashion. There is a featured status set automatically for most new threads (depending on the forum) that permits them to appear on the home page. However, when a staff member comes across a thread that, for example, is more of a personal support ticket than a topic for discussion, he or she may unset the featured status. Also, topics which are locked may cease to be featured.

Maria

United States
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Maria Dec 5, 2006

I know the FAQ. The post was no longer on the home page.
Given its urgency, and since it could not be locked because it is a kind quest and request for answers, and violates no rules, I reposted it.

Thank you for your enlightenment, though
And
Best Regards.

P.S. Still awaiting an answer

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:16
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
support request Dec 6, 2006

MultiPro wrote:
I know the FAQ. The post was no longer on the home page.

Well, you wrote "I am reposting it in case an unexplained bug is causing its disappearance." That's why I quoted the FAQ section: "when a staff member comes across a thread that, for example, is more of a personal support ticket than a topic for discussion, he or she may unset the featured status.", to let you know that there was no bug.

MultiPro wrote:
Given its urgency, and since it could not be locked because it is a kind quest and request for answers, and violates no rules, I reposted it.

OK, but the second one does violate a rule: "Post only once"
To answer your question (until you hear from staff): I suggest you submit a support ticket and explain what the problem was and which moderator you contacted. Staff need to know this to decide whether they should assign more moderators to that particular area of the site.
Maria

United States
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advice Taken! Dec 6, 2006

Thank you again, Maria!

Maria Karra wrote: OK, but the second one does violate a rule: "Post only once"

I salute your tactful remark and regret the unintentional double posting.

To answer your question (until you hear from staff): I suggest you submit a support ticket and explain what the problem was and which moderator you contacted.

I wanted a confirmation of sorts on how to go about it. You know best, and coming from you, this must be the way to go.

Keep up your excellent work!
With respect and admiration,
Bonne nuit.....

xxxZZZZZZ
Local time: 03:16
German to English
Huh Dec 6, 2006

I don't know if this will make it beyond the moderators, but I (verifiably -- [Yup, I'll supply details]) put in a support ticket. It was totally ignored - and the later reason was that Ms. so-and-so was on part time becuase of her kid or whatever reason. But just completely ignored.

It's interesting that this site takes in so much money (I mean HUNDREDS and THOUSANDS every day, look at the number of people registering, but it still relies on the "community" to moderate and translate and work for everything). It's even more surprising that they FIND people for this.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:16
English to German
+ ...
On moderating and support Dec 6, 2006

First of all, I'd like to support Maria's suggestion to post a Support Request.

Regarding unanswered support requests and the issue of moderators:

Reinicken wrote:

I don't know if this will make it beyond the moderators, but I (verifiably -- [Yup, I'll supply details]) put in a support ticket.

I have no idea why this shouldn't "make it beyond the moderators".
If you like, contact me through my profile, quoting the ticket number, and I'll look into it.

It was totally ignored - and the later reason was that Ms. so-and-so was on part time becuase of her kid or whatever reason. But just completely ignored.

Which shouldn't be the case. But then, site staff are human beings, and not perfect - just like all of us, I dare say.

It's interesting that this site takes in so much money (I mean HUNDREDS and THOUSANDS every day, look at the number of people registering, but it still relies on the "community" to moderate and translate and work for everything). It's even more surprising that they FIND people for this.

With all due respect, you shouldn't confuse the number of people registering (which, of course, is free) with the number of people actually purchasing a membership.

Also, I would like to request that you respect the decision of those who are committed to this community. Personally, I am very happy to volunteer as a moderator.

Best regards,
Ralf

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 23:16
SITE STAFF
Could you please provide details of your ticvket? Dec 6, 2006

Reinicken wrote:

I don't know if this will make it beyond the moderators, but I (verifiably -- [Yup, I'll supply details]) put in a support ticket. It was totally ignored - and the later reason was that Ms. so-and-so was on part time becuase of her kid or whatever reason. But just completely ignored.

I could find no support ticket started from your current profile. Please provide the corresponding ticket number and I will investigate your claim.

With all due respect, your numbers are wrong.

Regarding the activity of volunteers, I was one of them for many years before joining staff and I found it very rewarding. It gave me the opportunity of working for this great ProZian community, to learn, and to be part of a GREAT team.

Kind regards,
Enrique Cavalitto
Community manager

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Please contact a moderator" - What to do when not answered? - Post disappeared from Home Page

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search