Word 2000 spellcheck gone mad
Thread poster: Karin Walker
Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:43
German to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2002

My Word 2000 spellcheck function for UK/US English has decided to stop working. No matter whether I set it to UK or US, it still thinks \"favor\" and \"organize\" is wrong, for instance. I often have to adapt texts to either way of spelling, so this is a major inconvenience! Quite apart from that, I am having so many problems with Word 2k that I am considering going back to 97...

Can anyone offer an explanation for why this is happening? And whether there is a remedy or update to remove the problem?

TIA

Karin

Direct link Reply with quote

Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:43
Finnish to English
Not completely reliable Nov 14, 2002

Spellchecks are not completely reliable whichever way you set them. In the end you have to use your common sense, common-sense or your commonsense when making a choice. After all, they are based on opinion, and opinions about English spelling differ widely, it seems.

Best

Spencer

xxxPaulaMac
French to English
+ ...
Language settings Nov 14, 2002

This may be a dumb question, but do you have the language setting under Tools set to the appropriate English setting (i.e., English US, English Canada, English UK etc.)?

Hope this helps.

claude
Thailand
English to French
maybe ... Nov 14, 2002

the language of your text is not set to english. (select some text and it is in Options --> Language.

You can have both versions of Word on the same computer if you want. You just have to install 97 before 2000 and when you install 2000 he asks you if you want keep the old version running.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I assume you forgot to set the template to the proper language Nov 14, 2002

what may cause Word to behave this way.

The other possibility is, that you have checked teh \"auto detect languae\" option, which causes a lot of trouble if working with Trados.

So first of all: check, if your present template (Standard or Normal, I simply do not know, how it is called in English, as I use german Word) is set to either English (US) or English (GB). If not, and the automatic language detection is unchecked, Word may assume, you text is perhaps Australian English or French or something else, what is set in your template.

You are the first person I know complaining about Word 2k and wishing to get beck to W97.

How then about upgrading to XP? I do not know the spell checker for English in it, but the Polish one is really very good - if used properly and not trustet as an absolute instance.

Jerzy

PS

Both 97 and 2k are possible on one PC, but they do a mess... I tried it myself. After every start of 97 it sets it as \"the only\" editor, so double click causes then 97 to run. But when you start 2k, it resets itself to the \"only\" one, so afterwards double click causes 2k to start. And this are not all interferences. I would not like to do such installation again.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-14 21:04 ]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:43
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Add the words you want Nov 14, 2002

I hope one of the above answers will help you, but if all else fails you can always right-click on the unaccepted words such as \"favor\" and \"organize\" and select the \"Add\" option, and this particular word will always be accepted thereafter.

Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The settings were correct Nov 14, 2002

I usually have Word set to UK English as a default, as it\'s what I use most often. The spellchecker is fairly reliable for -ize- vs. -ise- etc., but I agree it\'s kind of useless for unusual words.

I was mainly puzzled as I am convinced the spellchecker used to pick up \"favor\", \"utilize\", \"color\" etc. as US English when set to UK, and vice versa. But it no longer does that. I know that I can add in the words, and have been doing that as a last resort, but it\'s hardly a solution.

The main reason I posted was because I was having some grave problems with 2k before (still have them, by the way) and a few people incl. Jerzy suggested a solution, as it was a known 2k problem. Just thought that might have been the case here, too, and there was some kind of update or something.

Upgrading to XP is not an option, at least not now - I have heard so many bad things about it that I am going to avoid it until I have to bite the bullet...

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 23:43
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
try this Nov 15, 2002

Select all text with ctrl+A, then go to tools>language>set language. Here check the correct language for your text, but do not check the two boxes below (\"do not check spelling or grammar\" and \"detect language automatically\"), press OK. You may also go to \"Default\" for the correct language. Moreover, though I was satisfied with Word 2000, XP is really great, even on the Windows 98 platform. Why not upgrade to Office XP. I don\'t want to remember the days with Office 97. Also take a copy of the file named Custom.dic under C:\\WINDOWS\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Proof before reinstalling windows or office.

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
window XP Nov 23, 2002

is really great, for me it is the same lap from the windows 95 to 97. What I appreciate the most is the computer does much more from itself, all automatic, like upgrading, also for the virus programma, remote controle, window messenger etc...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2000 spellcheck gone mad

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search