Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:26
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 19, 2007

I don't have any WWA entries so far. but today I thought I would invite some. I sent this email to several agencies:

I am a member of a US-based translators' organization called ProZ, through which I get a certain amount of work.
The site is prompting me to collect some entries for the "WWA" section of my profile. This is how the site explains it:

"A system has been created to provide ProZ.com users with a means of collecting and displaying "willingness to work
... See more
I don't have any WWA entries so far. but today I thought I would invite some. I sent this email to several agencies:

I am a member of a US-based translators' organization called ProZ, through which I get a certain amount of work.
The site is prompting me to collect some entries for the "WWA" section of my profile. This is how the site explains it:

"A system has been created to provide ProZ.com users with a means of collecting and displaying "willingness to work again" ("WWA") entries from clients and colleagues in their profiles. With the system, profile owners have the option to show "willingness to work again" ("WWA") entries in the upper right corner of their profiles. Doing so will be a way to appeal to potential clients who arrive at profile pages, and to set oneself apart in the ProZ.com directory.

To derive the maximum benefit from the new WWA system, you are encouraged to invite clients and colleagues who use ProZ.com and have worked with you in the past, to (1) log in, (2) visit your profile, and (3) provide a WWA entry. In turn, you are encouraged to reciprocate by visiting the profiles of those who have worked for you, and to make "willingness to work again" entries for them."

My profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/8364

I would be grateful if you would make a "WWA" entry on my behalf as described above.

I have just had a reply from one of the agencies to which I sent this, saying:

Dear Jack,
I am very willing, but unable! Where is the WWA symbol or whatever it is on
your profile?
Kind regards.
Sarah.

So I went back to my profile myself, selected "Visitor's view" - and I find I am just as puzzled as Sarah is.

So:
(a) Please could someone tell me how WWA entries are made, so that I can tell the agency;

and (b) Could a set of instructions on how to make WWA entries be posted somewhere on ProZ for the benefit of clients trying to make such entries?

I am also submitting this as a report request.
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
thanks for asking! Feb 19, 2007

Jack,
I don't have an answer, and I'm so glad you've asked this.

I've been afraid to send a similar message to my clients because I sensed they might find the WWA to be frustrating or time-consuming (esp. if I give them wrong directions, which I just might since it isn't clear to me either).

So thanks for asking for clarification....
Patricia

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:26
Italian to English
In memoriam
Hi Jack and Patricia Feb 19, 2007

Inspired by your messages, I have just requested a WWA entry from a good customer who has a Blue Board profile.

I did this by clicking on the "Request entries" message in red under the "Show WWA GO" button in the top righthand corner of my profile and filling in the form. I gather the system adds a link to another form with which the customer can make an entry:

>
Details of this WWA entry request:
User: Giles
... See more
Inspired by your messages, I have just requested a WWA entry from a good customer who has a Blue Board profile.

I did this by clicking on the "Request entries" message in red under the "Show WWA GO" button in the top righthand corner of my profile and filling in the form. I gather the system adds a link to another form with which the customer can make an entry:

>
Details of this WWA entry request:
User: Giles Watson
WWA entry form: http://proz.com/***
ProZ.com profile: http://proz.com/profile/4424
>

The system tells me the message has been sent so I am waiting to see what happens with great interest!

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Giles
PS
I've disabled the link to the entry form, just in case

[Edited at 2007-02-19 15:48]
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
is it a going to be seen as a burden or a bother? Feb 19, 2007

Giles Watson wrote:

Giles

Giles,
This raises one of my key concerns. My clients don't know about ProZ, so if they get some autogenertated message, they aren't even going to look twice at it.

I suppose I could write them a message in advance, directly from me, explaining what this is all about.

I entered a WWA entry for a colleague and I know it isn't difficult, but I'm familiar with the site and the lingo. Is there any way we can find out exactly what they message that goes out says so that we can prepare our clients to cope with it? (Most of mine are very busy univ. faculty, and they have already given me "blurbs" praising my work to use on my web site if I ever think that's needed, so they're going to view this as an intrusion and a burden.)
Patricia

PS I guess my main point is that I don't understand what the value of this is. Who is ever going to go to my ProZ web site or if they do, know what a WWA is? You'd need to be very familiar with the site before grasping what that is all about. People always contact me via e-mail, having learned about me from other clients--not by going to ProZ! So, I hate to leave it blank, because that looks like no one wants to work with me, but if I bug my clients to fill it out, that isn't good either!

[Edited at 2007-02-19 16:01]

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
The text is semi-fixed Feb 19, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Giles,
This raises one of my key concerns. My clients don't know about ProZ, so if they get some autogenertated message, they aren't even going to look twice at it.

Nor do most of mine, which is why I wrote to one of the clients I got through ProZ.

I suppose I could write them a message in advance, directly from me, explaining what this is all about.

I entered a WWA entry for a colleague and I know it isn't difficult, but I'm familiar with the site and the lingo. Is there any way we can find out exactly what they message that goes out says so that we can prepare our clients to cope with it?

AFAICS, this is the preamble to all WWA requests:

>
A system has been created to provide ProZ.com users with a means of requesting, collecting and displaying "willingness to work again" ("WWA") entries from satisfied clients in their ProZ.com profiles. WWA entries provide a way for translation outsourcers to express their willingness to work again with given translators and interpreters. Giles Watson has indicated that he/she has worked for you in the past, and has requested a "willingness to work again" entry from you.

If you already have an account with ProZ.com, simply login and click the link below. If not, please register by visiting http://proz.com/?sp=r using this email address, and then click the link below.

Click the link below to provide a "WWA" entry for Giles Watson
>

There is then a suggested message that you can edit or delete and finally the "signature" I quoted in my first message.

(Most of mine are very busy univ. faculty, and they have already given me "blurbs" praising my work to use on my web site if I ever think that's needed, so they're going to view this as an intrusion and a burden.)

In that I case, I wouldn't ask them, or at least not just yet. I am not going to ask any of my non-ProZ customers, which is nearly all of them, but I don't see why the ones that have Blue Board entries should object.

In your shoes, I would hang on until one of the university clients owed me a biggish one, and then exercise gentle "moral suasion", offering to guide him/her through the WWA entry process.

FWIW

Giles

[Edited at 2007-02-19 16:12]

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, Giles Feb 19, 2007

By following your procedure I have managed to send WWA requests to all my target agencies, and two of them have already replied.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Good support too. Feb 19, 2007

I thought it worth mentioning that I also got a support response, within 25 minutes of asking the question, giving me essentially the same information. People sometimes complain about slow support ticket response times, but I am very happy with this one!

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Just for the record... Feb 20, 2007

I see you have got what you wanted now, Jack. Great folk, these ProZians!!

I just thought I'd mention that I introduce my clients to the WWA even before I do the job for them. I always make a reference to my ProZ.com web page when making a bid, and especially refer to the WWA "in the top right hand corner of the opening page". I now have 7 respondents, and look forward to having more! I trust you will have many too.

Have a great day, translating impeccably and inher
... See more
I see you have got what you wanted now, Jack. Great folk, these ProZians!!

I just thought I'd mention that I introduce my clients to the WWA even before I do the job for them. I always make a reference to my ProZ.com web page when making a bid, and especially refer to the WWA "in the top right hand corner of the opening page". I now have 7 respondents, and look forward to having more! I trust you will have many too.

Have a great day, translating impeccably and inheriting worthy WWA referees!!

Bill
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks! Feb 20, 2007

Giles Watson wrote:

In your shoes, I would hang on until one of the university clients owed me a biggish one, and then exercise gentle "moral suasion", offering to guide him/her through the WWA entry process.

FWIW

Giles

[Edited at 2007-02-19 16:12]

Giles,
That's really very soothing advice. I'll just wait until the right moment. I'll also take Bill's advice to mention ProZ the next time I'm negotiating a job...

Thanks again!
Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do clients make WWA entries?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »