How to change my native language
Thread poster: Germaine07
Germaine07
Local time: 13:02
English to French
+ ...
May 4, 2007

Salut a tous,

Lors de mon enregistrement sur Proz j'ai déclaré avoir le Français comme langue maternelle. En fait comme le Canada mon pays est bilingue. Avec le temps je me suis rendue compte que je n’était pas éligible a soumettre ma candidature pour certains travaux. J’ai essayé sans succès de changer ma langue maternelle ou du moins me déclarer comme ayant deux langues maternelles. Quelle est la procédure a suivre dans ce cas ?
Merci d ‘avance.

Fellow freelance,

When I was registering on Proz I stated that my native language was the French. In fact as Canada my country is bilingual. With time I came to realize that I was not able to quote for some jobs. I tried without success to change my native language or at least to declare me like having two native languages. What is the procedure to follow in this case?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:02
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hello Germaine May 4, 2007

First of all, please note that I moved your thread to proZ.com support forum.

Second, as the problem of changing native language(s) is rather complicated, I would suggest submitting a support request (using the 'support' button).

Natalia

Germaine07
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 4, 2007

Merci Nathatlie

[Modifié le 2007-05-04 18:11]

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:02
German to English
Frank opinion May 4, 2007

Germaine07 wrote:

Fellow freelance,

In fact as Canada my country is bilingual. With time I came to realize that I was not able to quote for some jobs. I tried without success to change my native language or at least to declare me like having two native languages.

Dear Germaine,
The ProZ.com native speaker feature doesn't address writing ability, so adding English would be fine if your English speech is equivalent to that of a native-speaker of English and you are bidding on interpretation jobs, for example.

Canada is a bilingual country, but not all Canadian translators are bilingual when it comes to translating. To translate professionally, a person must be able to write professionally in the target language. I'm afraid I don't think your English writing skills are adequate for translation into English, Germaine. If you want to give clients the impression your translating skills into English are equivalent to the skills of an educated native speaker of English, you would be giving them the wrong impression.

This is just my frank opinion. Kim

[Edited at 2007-05-04 19:39]

Germaine07
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 7, 2007

Thanks

Refugio
Local time: 10:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with you, Kim May 10, 2007

Kim Metzger wrote:

Germaine07 wrote:

Fellow freelance,

In fact as Canada my country is bilingual. With time I came to realize that I was not able to quote for some jobs. I tried without success to change my native language or at least to declare me like having two native languages.

Dear Germaine,
The ProZ.com native speaker feature doesn't address writing ability, so adding English would be fine if your English speech is equivalent to that of a native-speaker of English and you are bidding on interpretation jobs, for example.

Canada is a bilingual country, but not all Canadian translators are bilingual when it comes to translating. To translate professionally, a person must be able to write professionally in the target language. I'm afraid I don't think your English writing skills are adequate for translation into English, Germaine. If you want to give clients the impression your translating skills into English are equivalent to the skills of an educated native speaker of English, you would be giving them the wrong impression.

This is just my frank opinion. Kim

[Edited at 2007-05-04 19:39]

There is a good reason for not making it easy to change one's "native language" for later convenience in quoting for jobs. Her first declaration was apparently the correct one. Should people be allowed to declare dual native languages when one language is clearly much stronger than the other? And who is to decide whether this is permitted?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change my native language

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search