Re: Proz Web Mail - Something disturbing happened to me.
Thread poster: Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2007

First, if this is not the right forum, perhaps a moderatos can kindly direct my post to the right spot.

I have Proz web mail as my email provider (I tried it out for free first) and yesterday wanted to pay for a yearly membership with more options and storage space. As I am using my card from outside the US, Everyone.net did not accept the charge and let me know about it. So far no problems.

However, since I used that card to make the transaction, someone has been usin
... See more
First, if this is not the right forum, perhaps a moderatos can kindly direct my post to the right spot.

I have Proz web mail as my email provider (I tried it out for free first) and yesterday wanted to pay for a yearly membership with more options and storage space. As I am using my card from outside the US, Everyone.net did not accept the charge and let me know about it. So far no problems.

However, since I used that card to make the transaction, someone has been using my card to make purchases. Of course, this wihout my knowledge or blessing. I was contacted by my card provider re 'suspicious charges' and found out what had happened. This card has now been closed.

I must tell you. This scared the life out of me. I have been trying to contact Everyone.net but they are closed during weekend hours. I will do so again on Monday. I am now very frightened to use my card, another card to pay for the membership.

Question: is there another, more secure way of purchasing this membership?

Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks for your time.
Lucinda
Collapse

dimitris_gre (X)
dimitris_gre (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:23
Another way of payment Nov 3, 2007

I think you should use a prepaid card, "loading" on it only the amount you need for membership. Your bank perhaps can give you more details on this. A more secure way is paypal but I don't really know if they accept it...

abufaraz
abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 07:23
English to Urdu
+ ...
Moneybookers Nov 4, 2007

I am sorry to hear about this misuse of your card.

Moneybookers is another source of making your payment.

Regards,

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:23
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I always use Paypal Nov 5, 2007

I pay my membership always with Paypal.
It's easy and safe.

Pieter Botjes (X)
Pieter Botjes (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:23
English to Dutch
Internet Security Nov 5, 2007

Hi Lucinda,

Sorry to hear about what happened to you.
Just wondering if you installed/updated your internet security on your computer. Further, I have good experiences with PayPal.

Regards.

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Everyone Nov 5, 2007

Yes, I have updated internet security on my computer. I can use a credit card to pay for my web mail from Proz but they do not have the option to pay with Paypal.

I am going to try to find a new email provider. Any good suggestions?

Lucinda

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:23
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
ProZ.com hosting Nov 5, 2007

Hi Lucinda,
Since you're paid member of ProZ.com you can use ProZ.com hosting for your email. You will find all the details under the Hosting tab in My ProZ.com menu.
It works very well plus have wonderful support staff.

HTH,
Magda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Re: Proz Web Mail - Something disturbing happened to me.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »