https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/96064-prozcom_term_search_is_slow_may_be_specific_to_japanese.html

ProZ.com term search is slow ('may be specific to Japanese')
Thread poster: casey
casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:22
Japanese to English
Feb 4, 2008

Is it just me, or does the search take longer than it used to? I'm now waiting 67 seconds for the results.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-04 13:15]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Is your Internet connection good enough? Feb 4, 2008

I never experienced 67 seconds. Advise: install FireFox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/) and install Kudoz search bar for FF (http://www.proz.com/toolbar). Enjoy.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Connection is fine Feb 4, 2008

This is something I've been experiencing only recently. I have the fastest connection speed available in Japan.

Zamira B.
Zamira B.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
My usual trick Feb 4, 2008

casey wrote:

Is it just me, or does the search take longer than it used to? I'm now waiting 67 seconds for the results.

Until it is back to normal you probably can type in into google search bar your source term in quotation marks and add proz to that. It always works well for me. May be I am not very well familiar with the proz search function, I tried it couple of times and thought that googling worked better for me.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:22
Spanish
+ ...
Quicksearches Feb 4, 2008

I also think there must be something wrong with your connection. But if you want to speed up the search process, you could use Firefox's Quicksearch feature. Quicksearches are an easy way to find kudoz terms from the url bar. For instance, I just type 'kz term' and Firefox automatically displays the results for my language pair cached. It works with any search; for instance, I have bookmarked the Aite serch page (ai), Wordreference (w+language initial, i.e ws, wf, we), Thesaurus (t), etc. Our co... See more
I also think there must be something wrong with your connection. But if you want to speed up the search process, you could use Firefox's Quicksearch feature. Quicksearches are an easy way to find kudoz terms from the url bar. For instance, I just type 'kz term' and Firefox automatically displays the results for my language pair cached. It works with any search; for instance, I have bookmarked the Aite serch page (ai), Wordreference (w+language initial, i.e ws, wf, we), Thesaurus (t), etc. Our colleague Julio Amago posted a very useuful guide not so long ago: http://www.proz.com/topic/74850.Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
May be a problem specific to Japanese search Feb 4, 2008

Are you searching for Japanese terms? The problem may be specific to Japanese and Chinese, as a change was recently made for them. I will call Andrew's attention to this thread.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, searching for Japanese terms Feb 4, 2008

If it was a change made recently, then I think that must be it. The search did not take this long before.

Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:22
Japanese to English
+ ...
Same here Feb 5, 2008

I have the same problem searching for Japanese terms - while my searches don't take as long as casey's, they're still significantly slower than before. I just did a test search for a Polish term and the results appeared almost instantaneously, while a search for a Chinese term is still being performed while I'm spell-checking this message...

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Krzysztof Feb 5, 2008

So I'm not the only one...That's good to hear.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
The new search works great! Feb 21, 2008

Back to normal speed now. Thanks!

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
What happened? Feb 22, 2008

Why'd you switch back?

Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:22
Japanese to English
+ ...
Searching still PAINFULLY slow... Mar 26, 2008

I wanted to search for a couple of terms today, but after the first two, three searches took literally minutes to complete, I gave up... Did you find out what is causing those horrible slowdowns?

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Try the web term search instead Mar 26, 2008

It is faster, although not all the same options are available.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com term search is slow ('may be specific to Japanese')

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »