For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Machine Translation by Jeff Allen

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Machine Translation by Jeff Allen".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

nalhanna  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:40
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Lack of Linux support Jun 30, 2010

Hi Jeff - I am disappointed that Linux is not supported - maybe next time! - Kind regards, Nicholas Hanna

Direct link Reply with quote

fourth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:40
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Price Jun 30, 2010

Not Given

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
Linux support Jun 30, 2010

GoToWebinar does not currently support Linux, but they are working on it. They have not given us an ETA, but I hope that it will be an option soon. We will be recording the webinar and making it available in our flash video player after the session. Our Flash player works with any browser and any OS. If you are unable to participate in the webinar due to using Linux, you will still be able to purchase access to the recorded video.

Price for the webinar is $15 USD

Regards,

Drew

Edson Lopes  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not available at set time Jul 1, 2010

I saw that participants will have unlimited access to webnar recordings. It seems obvious, but I want to register and only watch it later. How can that be done?

Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Video of webinar on machine translation will be uploaded Jul 1, 2010

Hi Edson,

All webinars are recorded and the videos are uploaded in the site so registrants can re-watch the sessions. Those that registered (paid) for the webinar will have access to these recordings for free, and there is no limit as to how many times you can watch these videos.

Members of the community that did not register (pay) in a webinar can purchase the recording afterwards. You will also be getting unlimited access to the video, but the drawback is that you will not be able to do any Q&A with the presenters!

I suggest you register for the webinar, and if you can't make it you will still have the recording available.

Have a nice evening!

Soledad

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Video of webinar on machine translation will be uploaded Jul 3, 2010

Soledad Azcona Garrido wrote:
Members of the community that did not register (pay) in a webinar can purchase the recording afterwards.

Really? How? On the training course's page it says: This course has already taken place, so you cannot register.

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
probably just some technical issue Jul 3, 2010

Thanks Samuel for you comments. this is probably just a technical issues that the ProZ team can look into.

thanks,

Jeff

Elida Z. Granelli  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:40
English to Spanish
future webinar on MT system tools Jul 4, 2010

I learnt a lot from Jeff Allen’s webinar. It was my first with Proz.com. At a future meeting would it be possible to let the speaker know about my needs in advance? That is to ask for advice or/and learn which TM system tools are more recommendable for specific areas of translation. Either this or maybe (if at all possible) to watch on screen how to operate with them and experience the difference.
Thanks Jeff and Soledad! Elida

Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Video available Jul 5, 2010

The video of this session is available now here:

http://www.proz.com/videos/Machine%20Translation/292

Those that purchased a seat in the webinar will have unlimited free access to the recording.

Those would like to purchase access to the recording may do so at this page also. This session is highly recommended and will be followed soon by more in depth presentations on the topic.

Have a nice day!

Soledad

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
reply on future webinar on MT system tools Oct 12, 2010

mpauladelvalle wrote:

I learnt a lot from Jeff Allen’s webinar. It was my first with Proz.com. At a future meeting would it be possible to let the speaker know about my needs in advance? That is to ask for advice or/and learn which TM system tools are more recommendable for specific areas of translation. Either this or maybe (if at all possible) to watch on screen how to operate with them and experience the difference.
Thanks Jeff and Soledad! Elida

Thanks Elida for your comments. Yes, you can leave comments directly in the question area for each webinar which I am keeping track of, and the ProZ webinar coordinator is also informing me of questions.

At least 1 very specific question asked today in the thread of the webinar for this week will now be covered in that webinar.

As for hands-on demos, the MT overview and the MT for freelancers and MT for agencies webinars are aimed at helping the different audience do a needs analysis and understand which software/systems are most appropriate for them to investigate based on computer (hardware/software) set-ups and network considerations. And also discussing the topics of compatible MT software with other types of software that freelancers and agencies typically have in place.

This is aimed to help you channel your energy into what specific software or systems to start to consider.

After those, it is then possible to offer webinars with hands-on training about specific features. One of the important points to know is that the same "task" can be achieved in different MT software brands and MT software/system types in different ways. The goal of a hands-on training webinar should be to outline the tasks to do, and how to perform with each different software type and brand.

An analogy is that you can drive a car, but how you drive it is different if you use a manual transmission vs automatic transmission, and then it is even different with a manual transmission on the stick if you drive a Renault vs a Toyota on which direction to move the stick, and when to pull up or down on the stick.

So the first webinars are to help you make very well-informed investigations and decisions, and then dig into the details of exact features at the next step.

Thanks for your comments.

Jeff

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine Translation by Jeff Allen

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search