For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Risk management for freelance translators and interpreters

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Risk management for freelance translators and interpreters".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
Will this cover professional liability insurance? Feb 1, 2012

Are you going to speak about professional liability insurance?

I'm aware of it and that some translators take it out, but I've never come across anyone who has had to make use of it. I'm interested in the practical benefit, not just the theory of it.

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Definitely! Feb 24, 2012

Hello Mike,

Yes, liability insurance will be briefly discussed as one of the methods to mitigate risks.

See you at the webinar!

Lucia

Norma Sánchez Pace
United States
Local time: 09:41
English to Spanish
how do I join the webinar? Feb 29, 2012

I am registered, now how do I join the webinar?

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
Liability insurance Feb 29, 2012

I am posting my question as suggested in the webinar. I've been trying to find an answer to this question for some time.

In negotiations with clients I always limit my liability to the amount paid for the translation. Here I'm talking about liability for consequential costs, such as reprinting a document or issues to do with contracts. I've only had one client who has asked me to accept unlimited liability, which prompted me to look at liability insurance.

However, I wonder how useful it is. I've never had any issues arise with my translations and when I've posted in forums no translator has spoke of ever having to use liability insurance.

Is it perhaps useful in negotiations with clients? For example, instead of limiting liability to the sum paid for the translation, do translators with insurance offer to accept liability? One policy I've looked at specifically states that the amount of cover cannot be communicated to clients, but do translators with insurance make a point of mentioning they have it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Risk management for freelance translators and interpreters

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search