https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_training/220378-free_webinar_sdl_trados_studio_for_beginners_and_some_tips.html

For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Free Webinar - SDL Trados Studio for beginners and some tips!

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Free Webinar - SDL Trados Studio for beginners and some tips!".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

UliFranzen
UliFranzen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:50
Dutch to German
+ ...
Abbout which version of Trados will this webinar go? Mar 13, 2012

I already know to work with Trados 7 / 7,5 and I need to know more about Trados Stuiso version 9!

Christine Brazeau
Christine Brazeau  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Free SDL Trados Webinar Mar 13, 2012

I'd really like to know more about the termbases [how to create them] and the autosuggest dictionaries.

Noortje ten Bokum
Noortje ten Bokum  Identity Verified
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
trados studio installed? Mar 13, 2012

My question is if for this webinar you need to have Trados studio already installed?
Thanks so much for your reply,
Noortje

Youssef Abdel-Naiem
Youssef Abdel-Naiem
English to Arabic
Why Translation agencies prefer freelance translators who work on SDL Trados than others? Mar 13, 2012

I hope the webinar concentrates on the practical and strong points of the system.

Thank you.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:50
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This webinar will be about SDL Trados Studio Mar 13, 2012

Hello,

I want to confirm that this webinar will be about SDL Trados Studio, and that it is not necessary to have it installed in your computer to access the webinar. You will see the program through the trainer's broadcast.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clarification Mar 13, 2012

Thanks for all your questions and interest. I will try and address them all here.

Yousef - I don't quite have a complete answer for you, but will say that SDL Trados is the market leader (70% of freelance translators that report any CAT Tool in their ProZ.com profile, list SDL Trados as a tool they work with) and SDL Trados markets/sells both products for freelance translators, and also translation agencies. As to why so many agencies request freelance vendors with SDL Trados...it
... See more
Thanks for all your questions and interest. I will try and address them all here.

Yousef - I don't quite have a complete answer for you, but will say that SDL Trados is the market leader (70% of freelance translators that report any CAT Tool in their ProZ.com profile, list SDL Trados as a tool they work with) and SDL Trados markets/sells both products for freelance translators, and also translation agencies. As to why so many agencies request freelance vendors with SDL Trados...it is because those agencies are using SDL Trados agency software like Teamworks, Idiom etc and again, SDL Trados is the market leader (as far as I know) for agency software solutions.

Noortje ten Bokum - no, you do not need SDL Trados installed, or any special software. You may be prompted to download a packet for the GoToWebinar application to run, but you will be watching/listening to an SDL representative demonstrate the software on that presenters screen (Screen share) so no need to have SDL Trados installed.

CBRAZEAU - Please be sure to ask this question during the demonstration. We may not be able to get to it, but will try

UliFranzen - the demonstration and free webinar will be on SDL Trados Studio 2011.

Thanks everyone, hope to "See" you during the free webinars

Drew
Collapse

UliFranzen
Netherlands
Dutch to German
+ ...
very good and clear clarification, Drew. Thanks! Uli Mar 13, 2012

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

Yousef - I don't quite have a complete answer for you, but will say that SDL Trados is the market leader (70% of freelance translators that report any CAT Tool in their ProZ.com profile, list SDL Trados as a tool they work with) and SDL Trados markets/sells both products for freelance translators, and also translation agencies. As to why so many agencies request freelance vendors with SDL Trados...it is because those agencies are using SDL Trados agency software like Teamworks, Idiom etc and again, SDL Trados is the market leader (as far as I know) for agency software solutions.

Noortje ten Bokum - no, you do not need SDL Trados installed, or any special software. You may be prompted to download a packet for the GoToWebinar application to run, but you will be watching/listening to an SDL representative demonstrate the software on that presenters screen (Screen share) so no need to have SDL Trados installed.

CBRAZEAU - Please be sure to ask this question during the demonstration. We may not be able to get to it, but will try

UliFranzen - the demonstration and free webinar will be on SDL Trados Studio 2011.

Thanks everyone, hope to "See" you during the free webinars

Drew

UliFranzen
Netherlands
Dutch to German
+ ...
When will be this webinar? Mar 13, 2012

Sorry, I was too buzy with the general discusion about it nd now I think, yes it will be interesting I realize that I can't remember time and place! Uli

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Webinar will be March 28th, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

These forums can be read on the webinar page, or on alternate discussion pages. If you are on the alternate discussion page you can click the "Title" of the webinar in discussion - usually found at the top of this forum in RED. You can also visit/r... See more
These forums can be read on the webinar page, or on alternate discussion pages. If you are on the alternate discussion page you can click the "Title" of the webinar in discussion - usually found at the top of this forum in RED. You can also visit/register at the dedicated free webinar page at http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/6340-free_webinar_sdl_trados_studio_for_beginners_and_some_tips

The time/date are:
March 28, 2012 at 13:00 GMT

Thanks

Drew
Collapse

Barbara Aschwanden-Cavenago
Barbara Aschwanden-Cavenago  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to Italian
+ ...
Is the course also good if you use Trados Studio 2009? Mar 18, 2012

Dear Drew, I already use Studio 2009, I completed the intermediate course and I thought it would be anyway good to attend this course on-line. Do you think it would give sense? Many thanks, Barbara

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Certainly could be valuable Mar 19, 2012

Hi Barbara.

As you have experience with Trados 2009, perhaps the webinar will include some overlap with your existing knowledge, but I imagine there may be a few things discussed, mentioned or demonstrated that you may not be familiar with. Plus, this would give you a good understanding of the changes and new features in 2011 compared to 2009...so you can be informed as to whether or not an upgrade would make sense for you.

You can certainly sign up, attend, and if it
... See more
Hi Barbara.

As you have experience with Trados 2009, perhaps the webinar will include some overlap with your existing knowledge, but I imagine there may be a few things discussed, mentioned or demonstrated that you may not be familiar with. Plus, this would give you a good understanding of the changes and new features in 2011 compared to 2009...so you can be informed as to whether or not an upgrade would make sense for you.

You can certainly sign up, attend, and if it appears to be less valuable for you, or a repeat of knowledge you already have from 2009...you are free to leave the webinar at any time.

We will also record the webinar so you can watch later, on your own schedule and determine if watching the full video is worthwhile.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
English to Italian
More info Mar 20, 2012

Hello all,

the webinar will be a fairly regular SDL Trados Studio for beginners this includes:
1) An intro to Studio and where things are
2) Translating a Word document
3) Highlighting how to do things and some specific new Studio features.

I also wanted to cover a couple of the OpenExchange apps which I think are really useful, and of course some of the new Studio 2011 features such as review and reviewing in Word.

I will also give some tips as I
... See more
Hello all,

the webinar will be a fairly regular SDL Trados Studio for beginners this includes:
1) An intro to Studio and where things are
2) Translating a Word document
3) Highlighting how to do things and some specific new Studio features.

I also wanted to cover a couple of the OpenExchange apps which I think are really useful, and of course some of the new Studio 2011 features such as review and reviewing in Word.

I will also give some tips as I go, which perhaps can be useful for people who are on SDL Trados Studio 2009 already.

I always use English to Italian samples as Italian is my mother tongue so a better combination for me !
Collapse

Barbara Zwirn
Barbara Zwirn
Italy
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
Trados 2011 and Trados 2007 Mar 21, 2012

Hallo to everybody,
I have never used Trados in my life but... never say never...
I'd like to understand why you can buy also Trados 2007 for a little money more if you buy Trados 2011. Why can it be useful to have Trados 2007 when you buy the last version (Trados 2011)?
Thanks in advance for your kind attention,
Barbara

Monika Leit
Monika Leit  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Registration Mar 21, 2012

How can I register, please?

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Registration and 2011 versus 2007 Mar 21, 2012

The registration page can be reached by clicking on the red title of this forum topic or by going directly to http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/6340-free_webinar_sdl_trados_studio_for_beginners_and_some_tips

Barbara, as to why 2007 - I'd like to allow an SDL rep to chime in with more specific informati
... See more
The registration page can be reached by clicking on the red title of this forum topic or by going directly to http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/6340-free_webinar_sdl_trados_studio_for_beginners_and_some_tips

Barbara, as to why 2007 - I'd like to allow an SDL rep to chime in with more specific information. But to the best of my understanding when SDL merged the two products (Trados + SDL) in to a single platform with Studio 2009 there was still some functions/features that were not fully compatible or migrated over to 2009. So when you bought 2009 it came with 2007 by design - as it was necessary to carry out some functions. With the release of 2011 those functions have all been successfully migrated to the 2011 platform - thus eliminating the need for 2007. The reason 2007 is still offered as an add on - I believe - is because some translation agencies still have installations of Trados Server 2007 and request remote access to their servers and TM's, and you may want to create the Word bilingual files for your customers who maintain these older formats and for this you need to have the older 2007 product.

To the best of my understanding, the only real reason to need/want 2007 with 2011 is if you have clients or agencies that routinely ask you to remotely access their server 2007 installations.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free Webinar - SDL Trados Studio for beginners and some tips!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »